4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Am I crazy for attempting this trip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kit352

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13    Post subject: Am I crazy for attempting this trip? Reply with quote

So I am in process of buying a Delica to take on a trip across Europe starting April.  I am planning on doing about 10k miles when all is said and done.  People are telling me I'm nuts do it in a Delica and/or a Pajero which is my back up plan.  What's everyone opinion?  Not many vehicles I can think of other than a Delica that can reach the off-road places I have in mind and have room for all of our camping equipment and dogs.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:55    Post subject: Re: Am I crazy for attempting this trip? Reply with quote

kit352 wrote:
People are telling me I'm nuts do it in a Delica and/Or a pajero

Have "people" given you reasons for saying that?
And have they ever used a Delica and/or a Pajero on such long trips?

You're probably going to get a biased view on this website, but here's some thoughts.

Plenty of folk have used both L300's and L400's for If you haven't seen it already, you might find this interesting and inspiring:
http://dinoevo.de/

Any car/vehicle can break down (and probably will when you least expect/need it).
I've been driving a 2002 Audi A3 and a 1992 L300 Delica for the best part of two years now. The latter has proven to be far more reliable and easier and cheaper to fix,
although I've done a lot of work myself.
Regular maintenance, I suppose a selection of spare parts for emergencies,
and decent breakdown cover (at least for the on-road bits) is essential I would think.
Compared to the travels linked to above, Europe is basically suburbia at worst, so everywhere will be well covered by breakdown services should you really need it.
Some DIY knowledge/capacity is probably desirable.

I've been planning to do a Europe trip (albeit not nearly 10k) for a while now, might finally get round to it this summer.
Keep us in the loop of plans and developments.  Good luck  Smile  thumbright
kit352

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the people that are telling me that are the very people I'm attempting to buy from.  I would imagine they don't think their vehicle can do it so they tell me I'm nuts.  Gas expenses are a common subject when i start talking about it too.  I know my wife would like a newer vehicle but since she can only drive an automatic it really limits choices.  Delica is what I want but may have to settle with a pajero as they are much more common.
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest one of these Tandem Power, easy maintenance and free fuel.

Actually bigger than it looks.

Deker will be along shortly to tell you he has had hundreds of these and his last trip was to the Moon, all went swimmingly of course.

Rolling Eyes
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do a fair bit of travelling around Europe in mine, mostly France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and Spain and you can find some vids on trips on here that I have posted.

This is my current Deli, which is geared up for travelling solo, into some well offroad areas, for doing photography:-  http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48297

But what I would suggest is that you find a more supportive dealer. If they think their particular vehicle won't cope, it may be that they are aware of issues with the vehicles they are selling.

But in order to get your wife more onside make some sandwiches and a cuppa, then sit down and read through this post about Kamil and Helena's amazing trip, in a Deli, through Europe, Russia, Mongolia and Australia.  :D

See:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36549

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOZA wrote:

Deker will be along shortly to tell you he has had hundreds of these and his last trip was to the Moon, all went swimmingly of course.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

kit352 wrote:

Some of the people that are telling me that are the very people I'm attempting to buy from.  I would imagine they don't think their vehicle can do it so they tell me I'm nuts.  

My question back to them, would be "why not?". And I would perhaps think very very carefully before buying a car from them!
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit.

If you do get a Delica L400, to go long distances, I would suggest - the main item to get replaced
is the Fuel Pump seal..
Mark3 on here is the man is the man to do it.

Other members will be along to suggest the spares to carry. My first on the list, would be an Alternator, and the fuses to go with it.

Mr D
kit352

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about the spares to carry and I'm honestly not to worried about it.  I am worried about potential overheating issues and of course the fuel pump seals.  These are things I'm bringing up to sellers and most don't have an answer for me.  Both issues are potentially things I may not see on a test ride but may show up on long rides.  Neither of those issues can be fixed roadside or for what I consider a reasonable amount.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

kit352 wrote:
These are things I'm bringing up to sellers and most don't have an answer for me.  
Both issues are potentially things I may not see on a test ride but may show up on long rides.  
Neither of those issues can be fixed roadside or for what I consider a reasonable amount.

... so you could get the fuel pump seal done as a precaution as soon as you buy the vehicle. As for overheating issues, of course not 100% but a fairly long test drive before purchasing,
and checking a few things like coolant levels, emulsion in oil, visual checks of hoses, exhaust fumes etc, would probably be a pretty good indicator.
Then a full service and a radiator flush with the right coolant would be a sensible thing to do after purchase - possibly even replacing all belts etc.
If you want to be really thorough and precautionary you could even treat it to a new radiator and overflow tank/bottle.

Point being, I really don't think it would be sensible to just buy a vehicle you don't know anything about (any vehicle, nothing to do with Delica's) and then just immediately take it for a 10k trip, without doing any of the above!
kit352

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice.  Thanks.

I'm going to pick my new one up tomorrow as long as it's as described.  I've put a deposit on one sight unseen which I have never done before but talking to the seller has me convinced its a good enough one.

I think at a minimum I will have the fluids, filters and belts changed.  Old owner says he never did the pump seals so I may do those as well.  Beyond that, unless something really sticks out as bad I will probably leave it alone until I get back.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to take is a list of spares you might need and where you can get them from. Instead of hauling half a van around Europe just in case, find out which suppliers/spares places have stuff in stock and can get it to you in 24hrs.
I need a simple water pipe at the moment which has just given up after 30 years of service. There's a new one in Taiwan (10000 miles) or a used one in Halifax (250 miles) either will take a week to get to me and a few hours to fit. And my van is outside the house.

Years ago in France my gearbox let go and I did another 300 miles and got home with only second and fourth. But it got home.

There's no way of knowing what may break, but worth knowing who to call to sort a fix.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on milage, it may be worth getting the water pump changed while the belts are being done. Especially if the coolant looks dirty/rusty. The standard L400 plastic expansion tank goes brittle with age, and the narrow pipe spigot snaps off very easily and is not safely repairable. Perhaps worth changing before, or adding to your spares list. Or the fit and forget (but more expensive) solution is to fit a Tigweld 4U welded aluminium one.
kit352

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ended up buying an L400 this weekend.  Under side was the best I had seen with just a little rot where the rear mudflaps are.  Body is so so with a fist sized rust spot between the sunroof and windshield which looks like its common on these.  Most systems work but some need love which I am starting to work on.

It has a long history of care.  Entire cooling system was replaced about five years ago.  New alt about three.  All brakes about two years ago although the parking brake is weak now so needs an adjustment.  Suspension shows numerous worn bushings and the rear springs look to be in a poor state and it visually looks like its slightly leaning on the drivers side.  I will measure it this weekend and make planes accordingly. All filters were changed six months ago along with the oil.
4x4 works great as I had it down a shale road trying to get stuck.  Low is a little clicky while turning but I don't think its bad.  Lights are flashing all the time so that needs a looking at down the road but as long as the system works i can live with it.

Fuel pump has never been done to the owners knowledge.  He had it for eight years and never touched it.  Prior history didn't mention it being done ever and that goes to 2006 when it was imported.

Truck runs good as far as i can tell.  Very easy to drive around town and gets up to 70 fine.  Past that is pretty sluggish and I swear I hear a faint clacking coming from the motor at high rpms but I'm unfamiliar with diesels and it maybe normal.  It took the 100 mile trip home like a champ.  Temp never got about say 3/8ths.  Quarter tank of fuel got me 75 miles which means nothing until I do proper maths on it but I'm just glad it didn't drain the tank.  I've ordered a boost gauge to check the turbo psi.  I think it might be a touch low.  It's certainly slower than others I had seen but not by much.

I think its a good base for what I am planning.  It's just rough enough to take some chances on things and solid enough to know its going to last.  I really need to find someone with more knowledge of these to give it a once over and give me some advise ideally.  It will take me too long to figure everything out on my own.  I have already started posting about some things to give me head start on repairs.  All i have is a few weekends free so I need to make them count.
kit352

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am nearly done with my first trip in the Deli and it's been mostly fine but has developed a few issues.

While offroading in Spain I hit a small stump which didn't do any harm but it did knock off a lump of Bondi covering a huge hole in front of the rear tyre going into the rockets.  A quick check of the other side shows the same type of repair.  It's done to a high standard and even colour matched to the trim which Is why I didn't notice it.  Those will need sorting before my next mot in August.

The blinkers stalk has broken free of its mount which looks like a common problem but with no easy or cheap fixes.  It still sits in the mount fine but it is very loose to the touch.  I think it may be an mot issue.

The engine is a pain when cold.  Smokes and is hard to drive for a while.  Even once properly warmed it has a hesitation sometimes and a miss.  I am sure the fuel pump seal is bad and I think maybe the injectors as well.  It also has a knock in it when putting a load on it at around 2500rpms.  Really only can be heard going uphill.

It does not like going uphill either.  It overheats pretty quickly if I try to match road speeds.  If I slow way down it is fine.
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a few jobs to do then but maybe nothing major.

Re the knocking, check whether the EGR is still functioning or has been disabled/removed. Common issue is a sooted up EGR that doesn't operate correctly. My symptoms were machine gun like knocking under heavy loads and a plume of black smoke. Blanking off the EGR was the first fix I ever did, never been an issue since.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do Smile

Rich
kit352

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the egr a couple weeks ago as I thought that may be the issue as well.  It didn't make any difference to how the truck runs.  To be fair the old system was broken and rusted so it basically was disconnected already.
YOZA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you have said, here is what I would do if the truck was mine.

1 - carry out a full service all oils including gearbox/diffs and transferbox.

1.5 - run a line of tipp-ex across the diameter of your bottom crank pulley, if after a drive the lines don't line up, change it.

2 - change heater / glow plugs use an extra feed to the busbar if you only have one.

2.5 - change rocker cover gasket and half moon seals, whilst cover is off flush the gauze crankcase pressure release filter out with petrol or similar, must be clear to breath or it will find the next easiest route to vent.

3 - change fuel pump front seal

4 - change timing chain & tensioner using the split chain drag through method

5 - take off all suspension bump stops and repair holes punched by them with welded plates

And a word of advice, 'take it or leave it'.....save your off roading heroics for when you are nearer to home, to test your trucks off road prowess whilst exploring another country is in my eyes stupid, you need the truck to get you home, killing it off road is counterproductive.
ArthurArthur

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you go with your Delica?
kit352

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting rid of it sadly.  A cracked windshield was what made me, in the end.  It was over a two month wait to get one from the places I tried and its mot was due shortly.  I sold it to a trader who immediately doubled the price and sold it on.  It needed a lot of work beyond that though so I kinda feel bad about the person that bought it from the trader.  I told him it wasn't really road worthy and he said he was going to use it for parts but relisted it later that day.  I actually kept a lot of parts for it like roof racks and push vars incase I get another which seems unlikely now.  The fuel pump needed a rebuild badly as well and I couldn't find anyone to do it for a decent fee.

The truck itself did fine.  It really hated driving the mountain passes around Andorra.  The intercooler fan died somewhere in france so it made a terrible racket.  Top speed on grades was reduced to about 40mph.  
 The engine knock got to be extremely bad by the time I returned home.  As soon as you started it you could hear it.
The transmission started searching for gears a lot too but it wasn't that bad but was getting worse.  I think a fluid change was needed as it smelt pretty burnt.

It traveled to 7 countries and I put about 8k miles on it.  No breakdowns but plenty of little issues that I just kept driving through.  It did everything it was supposed to do.
ArthurArthur

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s sad that you had to let it go, but I had one before I had to let go as well, too much rust.
So I was looking for a year and found my queen over a month ago. Nine years younger and in the very good state Smile
The price was very good as well, just needed to go by train with six changes to get there Smile
She`s my ninth car and, two of them were brand new! But I was thinking to be Delica`s owner, when I saw one first time in 2006.
I know that I gave up brand new car for this 14 year old but I am happy like a kid now Smile

If youl decide to have one again, look for the best state you can get, just to have more use of it out of the workshop lol

They are classic cars now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: