2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Inflating flat tyre off grid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 23:08    Post subject: Inflating flat tyre off grid. Reply with quote

This emerged from another thread and not Googled it yet, but what's the experience from this forum on inflating a flat tyre at the roadside?

Plenty of aerosols out there that claim to fix a small puncture and inflate tyre, but that's not gonna happen on something of our size,weight?

I'm thinking at least aerosol plus 12volt compressor, and possibly only when vehicles jacked up.?

Thoughts appreciated  Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 23:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely take the weight off the tyre first.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Andy says take the weight off, especially if your using the Aerosols. They have liquid rubber inside and you need to be able to spin the wheel so that it runs round the inside of the wheel and coat the inner side of the bead.

The aerosols on their own do not contain enough compressed air to inflate the tyre, so a small compressor is always a good thing to keep in the car.

Be careful of the really cheap ones though as what is inside them is a joke. The weedy looking thing, with a 1" piston, in this photo is the pump inside a halfords combined power pack and inflator unit:-

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
exarkun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a bit more and got a T-max BA2641 compressor.  Really pleased with it and it powers off the battery. I think I paid around £50 for it.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

exarkun wrote:
I spent a bit more and got a T-max BA2641 compressor.  Really pleased with it and it powers off the battery. I think I paid around £50 for it.

Good to know what others are using, or not using....
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inside of the halfords unit looks like it's meant for blowing up balloons  Smile
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a decent performing 12V pump you need one that can dispense with 80 to 100 litres of air per minute.

Don't be swayed by the 100 to 150 PSI sales pitch on most gutless pumps as we don't need it and to achieve that pressure you would go through countless hours of frustration as you watch your little unit dancing around on the floor until it overheated.

I also carry a puncture repair kit, the old fashioned type were you smother a brown looking matchmaker with glue then thread it through a large needle, then press it into the puncture hole.

I have use this method twice to get me to a tyre depot and the tyre kept its pressure, once stuck on a beach and once in mud.

NOTE: Some garages refuse to fix a puncture in a tyre which has been injected with glue, as they won't clean it off.
skiorsail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealants may seal a small nail in situ or nail track, but in more rural environments, it's sidewall that gets damage we have had a couple of sealant/pump failures near our house making people with no spare waiting up to 6 hours to get sorted...
Aerosol might help you out of a dangerous area and will put enough gas in to reinflate assuming the hole is at near invisible size only.
kit352

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a plug kit in my vehicle along with a cheapy 12v compressor.  I also make up a long bit of hose that can reach from one tyre to the furthest tyre and put schrader valve female fittings on them so in a real pinch i can steal some air from all the Tyres if need be.  Its also possible to seat a bead using it if you are lucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: