Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Head Gasket/cylinder head how to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 19:15    Post subject: Head Gasket/cylinder head how to? Reply with quote

(1997 2.8TD manual pump) I've searched here and over on the AUS site and can't find any how to, or blog type post for head gasket change? Am I looking in the wrong place, I'm sure there used to be posts of this nature?

Anyway in July my van started showing obvious signs of head gasket issues, blowing bubbles in the expansion tank, expansion tank puking it's guts, unexplained loss of coolant. My van has never been overheated or been run with low coolant or thrashed hard  - only miss treatment I suppose is running 1500km with only fuel stops at motorway speeds a few times.

I used steel seal (I've had luck with a nasty bong and various friends junk with this stuff) followed all the instructions and the issues went away.
2 weeks ago, day of the MOT, white smoke everywhere, after 10 miles and getting it good and hot it calmed down enough to (just) pass the mot.
Dump the coolant, flush the system, fresh coolant and another round of steel seal (This is 6000km since the last time) again did what it said on the tin.
Until 1000km later, pulled over for a rest on a French Autoroute a bit of a coolant leak when I stopped, didn't think much of it.
HYDRO LOCKED! Wouldn't turn over on starter, under tray off, very hard to turn by hand. Pulled the pre heat plugs, turned by hand and got water out of cyl 3. Turned it on the starter till clear, threw it back together, got it running badly on 3, lots of smoke, limped off the Autoroute. Things cleared and the rattling reduced, got an hour and a half south down the route national and stopped for the night. Next day drove home down the route national (a roads) - no issue but stayed under 90kph (55mph)
Have been driving around town and been fine, no water loss, no smoke. But today I had to drive 100km and took the autoroute, I kept the speed down, but there was one long hill, clibed about 600m (2000ft) at the next rest stop it puked a little. Drove home the slow way, with no issues.

In a day or 2 I will begin taking the head off.

I guess the procedure is take off everything in the way, put the engine at TDC and mark everything. Keep the timing chain under tension (seen some pick of this tied to the bonnet). Hope the manifold bolts come out and then take the head off.

I have the pocket manual for the van but it is vague at best.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 19:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

YOZA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote one but the pictures foofed off with photobucket.

It was called 'pulling the head off it' in the DiY section. :D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you doing that post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41716  :D

Photomukit have a lot to answer for.    Evil or Very Mad

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
YOZA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my better works, still cool if you like cats though.
idris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yoza and Lewis for pointing me in the right direction. I am taking pics and will try and do a how to at least how I am doing it
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, the Steel seal has not clogged up any waterways in the engine or radiator.
YOZA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

idris wrote:
Thanks Yoza and Lewis for pointing me in the right direction. I am taking pics and will try and do a how to at least how I am doing it

okay you've had 4 weeks, we need a progress report. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: