Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Oil Leak

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started it today and it's still pissing out. Getting worse if anything. I put 300ml of dot 4 in with about half a tank of Diesel.
Wondering whether to give it more time, take it for a big drive tomorrow and see if it improves, or add more brake fluid?

MOT is on Thursday :?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 19:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

johnnyc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake fluid hasn't worked  Sad . I ended up draining the tank until it was almost empty and then adding 500ml of Dot 4. I thought the last load I put in (300ml in a half tank of fuel) might have been to concentrate.
Went for a 20 mile ish drive last night and then left it overnight. Just started it now and its still pee'ing out. Well maybe not pee'ing out, but the drips are pretty constant after about 10 seconds of the engine running.

Wondering whether to stick more in?? Or should I try driving around some more to give it more time to work?
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any half decent diesel mechanic should be able to fix it, if it's just a seal. Sounds like all the brake fluid in the world isn't going to fix it, even temporarily. Time to bite the bullet, I reckon.
johnnyc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably right about the brake fluid Andy  Laughing

I'm pretty sure its the top seal that't leaking now. I have read a few posts on other forums of people replacing the top seals themselves. I found a guide

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pajero/diesel-pump-top-leak-fix-t90.html

Seems fairly straight forward....

Got mechanic coming to have a look at it on Saturday anyway but if all else fails, I might have a bash. MOT expired today Sad
johnnyc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of my Uncles came and had a look at it today. He's a retired mechanical engineer. he's going to do the top seal with me next weekend.
This can be done with the pump in situ. Just have to hope that the drive shaft seal is okay! The engine runs great once its warm and is never any trouble to start, so there are no symptoms of a leaky drive shaft seal (cutting out, diesel in the oil etc). I suppose we will have a better idea once we see inside the injector pump.

Great guide here if its of any use to anyone.

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?/topic/28840-diy-replace-diesel-injection-ve-pump-top-seal/

Fingers crossed!
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an L300, Johnny, you won't get diesel in the engine oil from a leaky front seal, as it doesn't have a timing chain that needs lubrication. Any diesel leaking through the front seal on the 4D56 (L300) engine will get thrown around inside the timing belt plastic cover, so it's worth taking the top one off so you can inspect the front of the pump and check it isn't contaminating the two timing belts.
johnnyc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, Andy. Cheers.
johnnyc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted! replaced the cover seal myself, no more leak  Wink  Wink
Pretty chuffed with myself to be honest  Laughing

Also checked to see if the front seal is leaking by taking the cam cover off. Happy to say it seems fine   8-)
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased you've sorted it. Always worth checking out the usual suspects first!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: