Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

long range fuel tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illapulito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48    Post subject: long range fuel tank Reply with quote

I have been following the RTW adventures of a young couple in their SWB Delica - round Oz, Canada to Mexico, now in South America on www.overlandway.com

Anyway, they fitted a swing-away rear wheel carrier and fitted a Pajero fuel tank as a second fuel tank in the under-slung rear wheel carrier space - the tank was too large and had to be cut down.

I expect several people have done something similar. I saw one tread that had a rear wheel carrier that doubled as a table when lowered, but it wouldn't work for me as I'd need the swing away feature to get normal access the rear.

Has anyone any suggestions as to a second tank - are they manufactured as overland accessories or can one off another vehicle from a breakers yard suit ?

btw ... any issues with a swing-away arm to the rear tail gate to be considered ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a post somewhere, with the technical specs on for making a 135 Litre fuel tank, to replace the standard 75 Litre one.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:13; edited 1 time in total
illapulito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original source for the idea

http://www.overlandway.com/vanda-the-van/preparation/installing-2nd-fuel-tank/
polgster
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, mines the 'rear wheel carrier that doubled as a table when lowered' and it's lskillan who built my spare wheel carrier, extra diesel tank and filler.
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1metre square tank, 100mm high will give you 100 litres, and will just sit on the boot floor. Obviously it would need a filler and pipe connections as well.
illapulito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
A 1metre square tank, 100mm high will give you 100 litres, and will just sit on the boot floor. Obviously it would need a filler and pipe connections as well.

interesting idea

not sure if it would work for me
even with an incline for rolling access 100mm may be too much
that said, I have just bought 1m2 rubber mat for the rear (third row removed) so it will give me an idea

nevertheless, a swing away rear arm suits in principle
so removing the standard spare wheel creates additional space to be utilised

I am adding a roof rack, it may be possible to put a spare wheel up there but
do I need more than one spare
will the weight, changing centre of gravity effect be negative
increases wind resistance and already poor fuel consumption

in my case
fortunate to have a LWB for extra room
unfortunate that disability means cargo area rear of second row of seats is effectively used up
(currently working out if any useable space)

plan is to
add the roof rack (full length 8' x 4' approx)
fit an automatic self-supporting awning to it to the sliding door side
and fit 500L Fiamma roof box, to the rear, accessed by the Terzo ladder
and solar panel (with proposed leisure battery set up) to the front
however, I will likely be using campsites for overnight mains hook up for separate mobility battery charging (currently requiring 8 hr continuous charge)
maybe changing to lithium batteries, although expensive, may suit my circumstances

Still lots of planning, ahead of proposed trips round UK and Europe
YOZA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tow a 1000litre bowser.

https://chieftaintrailers.com/chieftain-trailers/fuel-transport/adr-fuel-bowsers/
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll weigh about a ton & a half   Exclamation

With all the other stuff on, and going on the car, probably be around the four ton mark  Shocked  Shocked

Mr D
illapulito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did give some thought to towing something - not a bowser ! Even a Delica isn't THAT thirsty ;-)

I already have a small Erde trailer with lockable plastic hood, for stuff and liquids.

but it isn't just hauling it rather the parked manoeuvring (and if a caravan, levelling etc) given the critical regular access to the rear tailgate in my case

that said, the most suitable caravan I looked at was

http://www.silver.camp/en/range/mini/

it is not too large and most importantly has a wide rear wall mounted door (designed primarily for motor bike storage) which I could load a mobility scooter into on a simple ramp; with double bed, fridge, cooker and storage

however, as ideally I'd like to travel round both North and South America if I can get the LWB sorted for al purposes that's be ideal

I will do UK trips of extending durations before doing a European Grand Tour so will hopefully have sorted out the options by them
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the photos I have of the Aussie professionally made 135 Litre Longrange fuel tank.  Smile

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
illapulito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

was the new 135L as well as, or instead of the original fuel tank

and is this something that can be made (copyright template ?) / obtained in the UK ?
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

illapulito wrote:
and is this something that can be made (copyright template ?) / obtained in the UK ?

Ask iskillin (Tigweld)  Wink

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

illapulito wrote:
was the new 135L as well as, or instead of the original fuel tank

It was in place of, there is no way you could get both underneath at the same time. Plus the company only supply the tank as a blank.

You then have to cut out the required holes for the sender and return unit, plus the fuel level indicator and breather pipe fittings yourelf.

As Deker says Lee (Iskillan) could probably make you one and as he would make it sufficiently different not to infringe on copyright, plus most likely cut out the required holes and bolt thread taps.

Checkout his website here:- http://www.tigweld4u.com/

HTH

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Sun Apr 01, 2018 15:25; edited 1 time in total
Overland Hobo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Did you get this sorted? Could you give me a rough ball park figure I could expect to do the same?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: