2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Keyboard - hard and noisy wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 21:07    Post subject: Keyboard - hard and noisy wanted Reply with quote

As per the title.

I am a lousy typist, takes me ages to construct, and reply to posts.

Mainly due to modern soft touch, with NO acoustic or tactile feed back.
Often touch two keys together, sometimes not press hard enough for the key to register.

I NEED a keyboard that clicks loud enough to annoy the neighbours, and strikes back at my fingers with a light hammer blow,
something similar to the old Cherry boards, used with DOS and which are not suited to modern Windows keyboards  Sad

I even learned to do some Basic programming in DOS, using GW Basic  Rolling Eyes
I had to, those nice people at Inland Revenue wanted seven years of accounts  Shocked
So I devised a program that performed like a Till Roll, complete with totals at the end.
Seven years by 52 weeks, on a long strips of till roll paper, printed on Pin printer - Try and do that with Windows  Exclamation

Looked on the net - I see Gaming keyboards at silly money  Sad

A) I do NOT play games.

B) Do not want to pay silly money. I'm okay with one that has pretty lights, Prefer light coloured. with dark characters,
or dark colour with lit characters.

Anyone got ideas, or knows of a good product Question Must support the standard 101 (min) key layout.

Mr D
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 21:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

CunningLinguist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dek-k-k-k-ker.   If you want to take a very cheap gamble, try the Canyon Simple Keyboard from eBuyer which is full sized with relatively chunky keys compared to the wafer-thin ones that cost more but are actually cheaper to produce!  

Alternatively, I have a clicky-clacky one that I could actually recommend as I bought it to use with my PC but then moved almost entirely to living on my laptop - it is a LiteOn SK-720H, but it could be called a HeavyOn as it has a weighty metal baseplate.  Mine has a PS2 connector but it works fine with a USB adaptor too. Can't recall exactly when I bought it as it sat unopened for years and was only unwrapped recently when I rebuilt the PC. There's one for sale on preloved for £3 but it is in Leeds!

I also have another one sitting in my office, never unwrapped, which is an Optronix OP-080W. I could post it but you can buy one from Castlegate Stationers for £10 inc. delivery - see here.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27    Post subject: Re: Keyboard - hard and noisy wanted Reply with quote

Deker wrote:

........Looked on the net - I see Gaming keyboards at silly money  Sad

A) I do NOT play games.........

I have a Gaming Laptop (a Toshiba Qosmii) and I don't play games either, all that software has been removed.

However 'Gaming' gear is invairiably better quality, higher end components that take more of a battering than cheap mass production stuff.  Wink

Get a decent Wi-Fi keyboard and mouse then you can sit back, in a gaming chair with built in electronic massage, in a comfy position to use it.  :D

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you CunningLinguist and Lewis.

I looked up the LiteOn SK-720H but can only find s/w for that device
And the Optronix OP-080W does not appear to be suitable.

From your recommendation/s I may have found a suitable device,
On eBay.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be okay for you.

Clunky, clunkey aNd easy to clean:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NPET-Floating-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Black/dp/B0728CBR1H/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1511084870&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=Big+key+keyboard&psc=1

Quotes from sales info:-

* each key is controlled by independent switch. Made of top-graded ABS and metal material.

* Spring type ergonomic design, care for your wrist, long-term use is not easy fatigue.

* deliver an audio feedback of every single click. Clicky and tactile, sensitive and responsive.

* Easy to access to calculator, email, web browse

* No drivers needed plug and play.

* £18.99 with free delivery

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 19:58    Post subject: Me = an incompetent typist :-( Reply with quote

Thanks for that Lewis. That type looks as if it would suit my requirements -
Unfortunately that keyboard does not have a numeric pad, nor a £ symbol. It only has 87 keys  Sad

I do a lot of work using spreadsheets and MS Office Drawing facility,for technical and electrical circuit drawings,
therefore do a lot of numeric input, and need the Number keypad, especially when altering dimensions on drawings.

Yes - I do know that the £ symbol can be accessed via Windows Fonts or use the Alt xxxx code,
but it is slow.

i.e. the £ pound sterling symbol, Alt 0163 = £, degree symbol can be shown by using Alt 0176 = °
(Note no spaces twixt the ALT & the number, I've placed them for clarity)

Lewis sez "Photobucket want $399 a year to show you my photos, so I closed the account."
I've done the same  Exclamation

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the link select the option for the CK107 keyboad.

That board has 104 Keys, including a numeric pad, though at a higher price.

HTH

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link -
However that keyboard has US layout, no £ symbol. Plus symbols in other places versus UK layout.
But, looking further down the list, I see one that has UK layout.

I have seen one on ebay that offers keyboard and mouse. Via a link from here  Wink
I think my mouse is malfunctioning, often get Double Posting, or attempted double posting, when using Preview button  Sad
Plus other problems with the mouse  Mad

Mr D
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I posted, a local PC component/s shop got in stock - so called gaming keyboards.
Off I go to have a look and test type, none of them were suitable  Sad
Too soft and quiet, or lack numeric keypad, some only have US layout.

Thanks to everyone that replied. It has certainly put me off ordering a keyboard off the net  Sad
Tho, some of them look very pretty, and backlit ones do look attractive.

I have work hardened skin on my hands, what may be clunky and noisy keyboard to an office worker, to me is soft and quiet.

As  get older, my hearing "aint" so good, tho, I never have had sharp hearing - mostly for speech.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker, you might have a trawl around some of the second hand furniture/house clearance shops in the less well-off parts of town - if that exists in Hertfordshire. Or let your local computer-fixit shop know what you are looking for. Or even see if the chaps at your local amenity site/recycling centre will let you have a ferret about in their old computers container, - ours is very accessible and would be easy enough to look through on a visit - they don't guard them, but will happily point you in the right direction!
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
1) Deker, you might have a trawl around some of the second hand furniture/house clearance shops in the less well-off parts of town - if that exists in Hertfordshire.

2) Or let your local computer-fixit shop know what you are looking for.

3) Or even see if the chaps at your local amenity site/recycling centre will let you have a ferret about in their old computers container,

1) Good thought, unfortunately I live too close to Watford, apparently the richest town in Herts.

2) Hmm - where to find one locally  Question

3) Some daft rule from local council about not re-selling to the public, not really recycling/re-using is it  Mad

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you do Ebay or not (I don't) but the old IBM Model M keyboard has a clunky keyboard with a £ symbol.

See:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=ibm+model+m+keyboard

HTH

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered those - But

Nice thought, I'm not sure if those good old keyboards are compatible with modern Win O/Ss,
the large plug may not be compatible with more modern PS2 or USB motherboards, and do not have the Windows key.

Shame, they were good keyboards.

Mr D
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a charity warehouse two days a week doing PAT testing of electrical equipment for resale, we get loads of donated computer gear so tomorrow I will have a trawl through the dozens of redundant keyboards to see if I can find something suitable for you.
Surprising how many old clunky keyboards we get in.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.

Last edited by Fostlongstrider on Sun Feb 18, 2018 21:46; edited 1 time in total
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, that is most kind of you.

The keyboard has to be fitted with the PS2 plug and have the Win. Start key (I use that key). Or USB but that would be for later KBs.

Yes I know that the large DIN to PS2 type converters can be fitted, some computers don't like that.

Also must have a Numeric key/s section - For Spreadsheets and the drawing facility in MS Office.

Mr D
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a nice clunky keyboard for you,it actually says on it "Mechanical Touch",has all that you asked for as well.
Our computer guy says that mechanical keyboards are becoming the "in thing" at the moment.

If you PM me your address I'll pack it up and post it to you.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 18:32    Post subject: Keyboard sorted Reply with quote

Ian sent me a nice clackety click keyboard, has all the keys I need, much better than the "Soft Touch" modern junk.

My Thanks to Ian

Note to moderator/s. If this subject is no longer relevant, may it be Deleted  Question  To save space.

Mr D
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's what you were looking for.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: