Adrian Flux - 01553 845 945

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Not being able to edit at all on the technical forum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Special requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cafe latte

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 23:30    Post subject: Not being able to edit at all on the technical forum? Reply with quote

I have never visited a forum where you cant edit at all. I understand why you chose not to allow it as it can make threads hard to read, but an edit time of half an hour or something would not cause any issues to the thread and it is what other forums do for threads like the Technical section. Twice typing once on my phone I made errors that it was only 5 minutes after posting I realised that either the darn phone had changed the word or to something else (really annoying) or the other time I was sleepy and my finfers got away from me and I made spelling errors. I did not notice till after posting and an edit that works for even 15 minutes would have been enough for me to fix the errors (30 mins would be better).
Cant see how a time limited edit would make any issues on the threads. I know you can preview, but most people like myself proof read before posting, but on a mobile phone screen for example you can miss errors which is why I think an edit be it time limited would be nice.
Cheers
Chris
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 23:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mark3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed  Very Happy

The pump seal guy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what the preview button is for; so you can read your post and correct the edits, before pressing submit.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
cafe latte

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
That is what the preview button is for; so you can read your post and correct the edits, before pressing submit.

Disagree strongly as I said typing on a phone you can think it is right, press post and it is very wrong even after a good review.
What is wrong with a 15 minute edit time?
Like I said every other forum has this .
Chris
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those things where you can't make everyone happy I'm afraid! At one time you could edit your posts but a disgruntled now 'ex' member decided it would be fun to edit his 'technical' posts to upset the other members. I might add that up until that point he had been a valued contributer and so we learnt that losing valuable advice was also bad for our members Wink  

Now I know some forums allow you to edit posts up to the point another person posts or adds to the topic... I've not come across one that has a specific time restraint. It's certainly not possible to do that on this version of phpBB. Indeed this is a very old style of phpBB type forum and you can bet your life if it was updated or changed to a newer version then that would upset people too... Rolling Eyes Like I said... You can't please ALL the people ALL the time... Confused

In the meantime, by all means bring any mistake (However small) to the attention of myself or any of the Moderators and we will very happily edit your post for you. I don't think you can say fairer than that eh?  Wink
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other alternative, is to quickly make another post with the corrections.
Which I did recently.

Obviously, best to use a device that has a large screen.

Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 30 minute edit grace for postings for the online learning system I look after - after 30 minutes the post is locked. Works quite well for the typo fixers.
Although PHP it's not phpBB, its Moodle based.

However, mostly the admins seem happy to amend errors so that method works too Smile
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a a shame the way the world is now and that someone knowledgeable would need to mess up posts to spite a few Mad

And possibly mess up things for others who are genuinely looking for help in our mutual interest.

Whoever that was, I havent a clue but what I can see so far from using this site is that if you have a good post and share info, you will be looked after and answered from mods in pms very quickly if you have a genuine issue.

Keep posting  Laughing
cafe latte

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
This is one of those things where you can't make everyone happy I'm afraid! At one time you could edit your posts but a disgruntled now 'ex' member decided it would be fun to edit his 'technical' posts to upset the other members. I might add that up until that point he had been a valued contributer and so we learnt that losing valuable advice was also bad for our members Wink

Now I know some forums allow you to edit posts up to the point another person posts or adds to the topic... I've not come across one that has a specific time restraint. It's certainly not possible to do that on this version of phpBB. Indeed this is a very old style of phpBB type forum and you can bet your life if it was updated or changed to a newer version then that would upset people too... Rolling Eyes Like I said... You can't please ALL the people ALL the time... Confused

In the meantime, by all means bring any mistake (However small) to the attention of myself or any of the Moderators and we will very happily edit your post for you. I don't think you can say fairer than that eh? †Wink

At least  now I know who to ask, thanks Smile , but still annoying cant fix up errors myself and living on the other side of the world those errors will sit possibly for quite a while due to time zones.
It is very sad someone has spoiled it for everyone else too. It is really hard not to make mistakes when accessing the forum on small devices like phones and reading glasses which are a new thing for me annoyingly are not always to hand add that to small screen mistakes happen.
On another hifi forum which I am a member of my phone changed the word I typed due to the predictive thing they do which made the sentence rather rude. I did not spot it when I posted, but fortunately could edit it right away. I would not want anyone to think that post was intentional so very happy I could get rid of it and fix it quickly. On that forum I have over 9,000 posts so I am sure people would have seen it as out of character, but all the same glad they have edit.
Cheers
Chris
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing would be to press the post report button, which notifies Mods that a post needs seeing to, with a message asking for spelling errors to be corrected.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Special requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: