Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Timing chain

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Tindal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15    Post subject: tensioner Reply with quote

Ta for the excellent pics and advice, I have chuffing that sounds the same as when the timing chain was stretched on my last Deli but it only happens when I am coasting idly downhill. Not a lot of slack on it via the filler cap, there is movement but only a tiny tiny bit hmmm.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

John64
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mileage is on 160.000kms (Almost) at the moment and my chain is okay (Touches Wood) Its never been changed as far as i know, I've had it since 100,00 or so. Although it will need changing pretty soon as the tensioner is almost all the way out. BUT, no Chuff Chuff!
                  "CELER ET AUDAX"
oukie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Is this just a 94 issue or are later cars prone also ??

I'm on 186 km's  :D and I appear to have no chuff chuff noise

I have a 96 car

Thanks,

Chris.
mitzibattlebus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 18:11    Post subject: cam belt?? or timing chain?? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am not a new member, just a very quiet one!  I have a Delica exceed green field graphic 1995, A1 jap import, I have owned her for a few years now, since Jan 08, I have only done a low mileage each year and she has been well serviced every 5000kms which is approx what I do a year. I treat  her with absolute respect and never ever has she been overladen, raced or thrashed! She has now done 71000kms and is still immaculate.  I have just had her serviced  and the garage put a note on my bill  "cam belt?????????"  I have researched on this site in the forums and found that the "timing chain" is often in need of renewal at around 100,000kms and specifically if there is a "chuffing noise" when engine is working at 3k revs and that the 94s seem to need this work earlier.  I do not have any noises, she runs very well indeed, and has no trouble/noise going up hills. She does not "use" and oil either, I check at least once a week as instructed by my son when I bought her.  Be patient I am a lady.....  is the cam belt the same as the timing chain on these vehicles?........what is the approximate mileage when I should investigate replacement or checking the timing chain?  What is a reasonable amount to pay for the replacement of the chain/belt?  I have found on ebay a seller who has jointed chains which are apparently really easy to fit, and are especially suitable for delicas and pajeros, they do the work in their workshop but it is in the west country - a few hundred miles from me!

I also would like to know where I can get a kit or set to fit curtains to the windows of my Delica? She is grey interior and outside she is green over silver with Green Field graphics.  ~Very pretty with her Goodrich boots.  Something not too invasive on her interior trim to fit myself?  Thank you all for your time and consideration.
andyj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

id recommend sock and his dad,I've had one of their chains on for years now good quality and with zero probs.. also they fit them,for not much money compared to a garage.

curtain wize id recommend delicar300,hes a club member from HK and has some very good curtains for sale on a certian site.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:15    Post subject: Re: cam belt?? or timing chain?? Reply with quote

mitzibattlebus wrote:
... I have a Delica exceed green field graphic 1995...

As far as I am aware the Greenfield Edition has the 2800 4M40 engine. That engine has a 'timing chain', which is located inside the engine casing.  This engine should not require a new timing chain until it gets 100,000 - 120,000 K's on the clock. It should state the engine type (4M40) on the VIN Plate, fixed to the offside wing in the engine bay, just above the fuse box:-

And also have 4M40 marked on the engine casting, just below the exhaust manifold (drivers side of the engine):-

Are you saying that they are charging you for a cam belt, which would be located on the outside (front end) of the engine casing ?

At

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
mark3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15    Post subject: Re: cam belt?? or timing chain?? Reply with quote

mitzibattlebus wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am not a new member, just a very quiet one!  I have a Delica exceed green field graphic 1995, A1 jap import, I have owned her for a few years now, since Jan 08, I have only done a low mileage each year and she has been well serviced every 5000kms which is approx what I do a year. I treat  her with absolute respect and never ever has she been overladen, raced or thrashed! She has now done 71000kms and is still immaculate.  I have just had her serviced  and the garage put a note on my bill  "cam belt?????????"    

Assuming you have a 2.8 (which i thought was in all L400s) i would steer the hell clear of that garage again!!!
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:20    Post subject: Re: cam belt?? or timing chain?? Reply with quote

mark3 wrote:
Assuming you have a 2.8 (which i thought was in all L400s) i would steer the hell clear of that garage again!!!

They can be:-

2400cc (4G64 Petrol)
2500cc TD (4D56 Diesel)
2800cc TD (4M40 Diesel)
3000cc V6 (6G72 Petrol)

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
mark3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32    Post subject: Re: cam belt?? or timing chain?? Reply with quote

i never seen anything other than a 2.8 in an L400 but considering the job i do on them thats probably about right lol
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

See Specifications list:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30196

ルイス
Siggi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one removes the chain-tensioner unit to test the chain's wear (to hear if the tensioner goes "zzzzt"), will oil spew out? If so I'll check it by using a screwdriver to see if there's any slack instead.

I've read conflicting advice...some say the chain should last the life of the engine (or 400,000 km), others say it needs replacing at around 100k? Mine's a 1995 L400 Space Gear (160k km on the odo). No horrible noises or 'chuffing'.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run the engine with the tensioner removed engine oil will indeed spew out everywhere, as there is a dedicated oil channel to the tensioner.

Oil spewing out will shortly be followed by the sound of the chain slapping about prior to breaking the tensioner guides as it jams up.

The Mitsu workshop manual advises changing the chain around the 120,000 mile mark (NB: not 120,000 Kilometres) note that 160,000Kilometres is only 100,000 miles.

HTH

ルイス
mark3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Lewis says there is a high pressure oil supply to the tensioner to cushion the plungers play between its ratchet teeth when the engine is running, if you run the engine with the tensioner removed it will well and truly flood out at a huge rate under pressure but you won't be so bothered about this as the chain snapping and valves hitting pistons will take you mind of the oil slick running down the street  Shocked

The chain "should" last the lifetime of the engine and I'm sure if its serviced (oil and filter change at least) as per mitsi service schedule there's a good chance it will BUT.... the design of these engines means a normal amount of chain stretch yields an abnormal amount of power loss noticeable at low speeds (low end torque) and fuel consumption...

I've replaced probably around 200 chains and every customer says afterwards its like they're suddenly driving away from a stand still in first gear again, if you have 100k miles or there abouts on your 2.8 then a split link timing chain change is a definite worth while investment that usually pays for is self in the first 6 months from fuel savings alone, full chains not so much due to the cost involved as there up to 12 hours (book time) of labour plus materials  Sad

If you want to see how much chain stretch you have remove the cam cover and have a look, if you see an inch of tensioner, or more, sticking out your going to benefit from a new chain  :D
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a quote from my local Mitsu dealer a year or so back for having a full chain put in, which is noted on a post I did back then.

They replace the guides as part of the work stipulated in the workshop manual.  However they strip the front end off the vehicle, remove the radiators, degassing the aircon, etc, remove the engine, replace the chain, guides and pulley, then rebuild everything and regass the aircon.

It is charged as a 14 hour job, so you also lose the Deli for two days and pay them just under £3,000 and VAT.  Rolling Eyes

ルイス
mark3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably more like three days compared to 1.5 hours for a split link chain and a starting price of 5% of the cost too  :D[list]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figure all the bits bar the chain itself shouldn't be a 'service item'. Lol. Thanks for the email mark, I'll ascertain the condition of the chain in mine and get back to you mate. If it still has life left in it I'd like to squeeze it out. Smile
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave it too long, Siggi. That would be a false economy.
Siggi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you mate and if I was flush I wouldn't think twice about it. Unfortunately, like the vast majority of people these days in this 2nd-world embarrassment of a country, I'm having to watch the pennies.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeling your pain, Siggi. Get Mark to give you a price. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Siggi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has mate and very reasonable. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: