Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

balljoint taper. Am I just being a wimp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 21:19    Post subject: balljoint taper. Am I just being a wimp? Reply with quote

So, at the stage of having to undo the taper on the upper ball joint on my L300.
Following Mystery Machine's excellent guide.
Castellated nut is loose and still attached to the end of the thread.
Also undid the shock from the bottom arm, just in case.

Was hoping to avoid pickleforks or suchlike.

Now, I am not a violent man. However, even after a lot (A LOT) of hard bashing of the top end of the steering knuckle, the little *****r still hasn't dropped.
There is movement in the ball joint when bashing it (sideways!), but it hasn't moved down the thread one bit.

Am I going mental/being a wimp/doing something wrong??

Is the torsion bar actually pushing the upper arm down too far? Should I loosen the bar tensioners? Should I take the stabiliser bar off the bottom arm?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 21:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the vehicle is jacked up, so that the lower wishbone is pushing upwards, try this method

With a 4lb lump hammer in each hand, hit the casting from both sides at the same time. That normally makes it pop off.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
so that the lower wishbone is pushing upwards

Thanks Lewis, I'll have a go from both end simultaneuously!  Razz

Certainly is jacked up and on stands - however that means that the lower arm is pulling downwards on the knuckle, surely (i.e. its own weight)?
The upper wishbone would be pushing down on the knuckle though - and the ball joint? Which is why I was wondering if I should undo the torsion bar, as I suppose its spring force would still be pushing downwards?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz   Typo on my part, fingers not going as fast as my eyeballs.  

Between 'is' and 'pushed' insert 'not'.  Smile

Rather than mess with the torsion bar, which would then require realigning with a laser setup, insert a bottle jack between the top and bottom wishbones to push them apart.

See this photo:- https://app.box.com/s/gm4ownnl8f99lxlj7ll5ym57br1gcfzm

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile okidoke! I did wonder about that, too. Will have a go. Thanks again!
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a convert to the fork-and-screw type of ball joint extractor. Having put the fork over the rubber gaiter, between the upper wishbone and hub-carrier casting, and tightened the bolt onto the end of the (loosened) nut and taper thread to a good force, if you can get the hammer in, smack the end of the extractor bolt, and the side of the eye around the taper. A loud bang, with movement, announces the taper is freed.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, turns out I wasn't such a wimp after all.

Success- in the end I took the torsion bar off and also disconnected the sway bar from the bottom arm. With only a bit of a tap the upper joint came out quite easy. In the end I decided it wouldn't matter as I will need an alignment after all of this anyway.

I decided to go to town and just take off the entire hub and knuckle - might as well and it made disconnecting the lower ball joint a whole lot easier.
Now it's on to sourcing new ball joints and deciding whether I need new wheel bearings, too. And cv boots. And steering rack boots...  Rolling Eyes

Fun to see how everything fits together! Smile

Thanks all for the advice!
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total respect for your efforts and achievements. I still haven't fitted my replacement alternator!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: