Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Engine knocking sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordtummington

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 20:41    Post subject: Engine knocking sound Reply with quote

Hi
I've read the posts about the EGR valve but I would like to clarify something.
My engine runs well and sounds good at tickover. But once I rev it I get a very loud knocking as if it is injector lock or a tappet has seized or something like that. It happened on the motorway and got gradually worse. There is no adverse noise at tick over or up to about 3000 revs then it starts to knock.
There is no smoke up until this happens when large black plumes blow out.
Any advice would be appreciated
Regards
Gary
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 20:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

albideli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it engine speed related ? Under load?  A thumping or more metallic, does it sound like pistons rattling like Diesel knock? Only when warm and Quiet when cold?
lordtummington

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

not speed related but revs related and not under load. If you rev it in park without moving it will do the same. It doesn't do it when starting and starts first time. It is more a metallic knock like an injector lock.
It sound good at tick over and there is no knocking. Only when revved hard a few times does the knocking become audible.
albideli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it engine speed or half speed which would mean top end? a follower etc.
lordtummington

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mechanic who recovered it from the side of the M4 this morning said it sounded like top end but I would rather gauge the opinion of the members here as they have a better knowledge of Deli's
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not the EGR, you normally get knocking casued by that at low revs

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
skiorsail

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good mechanic usually can tell by listening -but not had any problems with valves or clearances on mine -valve clearances would be easy to check but adjusting means removing camshaft and adding a thicker shim part to the follower - you could try putting noise on youtube  for an opinion .
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam shaft clearance is usually more of a tick or a tock, and usually noticeable on tickover when oil pressure is low, and so is flow to the valve gear. Has it done a high mileage? When your recovery guy said it sounded like top end, perhaps he meant piston slap or small end? Small end is typically a rattle at higher revs, big end/mains (bottom end) more of a rumble, or  deep heavy rattle if severe,
hotchpotch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

My EGR used to make a hell of a racket until I disconnected the vacuum pipe.  Can't remember how it related to engine speed/load though.

Cheers

Peter

From the Latin, meaning 'Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future.'

Or, in today's language 'Do all the things you love today, because you may not be here tomor$&£@>>>.....  ...
lordtummington

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise only appears when revved. It starts easily and there is no noise. I have to rev it to get what I can only describe as a thock thock sound. It stays with it once it comes but then goes and reappears when revved.
I will try and post some video of it on youtube but it looks like I'll have to accept I will have to take the head off.
I had a cursory look at the head and couldn't see anything abnormal.
It has been losing oil lately and I did the bypass hose for the breather which seemed to work. But I have noticed a lot of oil around the bottom of the engine. The engine is a replacement I had fitted recently so I am a bit gutted at this happening after such a short time.
lordtummington

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know a place in west wales that may have an idea about what is going on with this car?
I have covered about 10,000 miles since owning it. I have put a pump seal on, then a new head, a replacement engine and turbo and now this has happened. I am beginning to believe my previous Land rover was more reliable and that's saying something.
Any pointers on the above question will be appreciated.
Ganymede11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the cause in the end? Had my Deli deliverd today and has exactly the same problem... would love to have a stating point for diagnosis... Shocked
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post continued on another thread.

See:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=385537

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: