Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Autohub hex bolts stuck? Ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 20:05    Post subject: Autohub hex bolts stuck? Ideas? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a clever and/or magic tip to get the hex bolts out that hold the autohub in place??

I've just been having a bit of a battle, got no where with any of them, and all I achieved was to bend my allan key instead!  Sad

Really don't want to round the bolt heads off, so any tips greatly appreciated...
all I could think of would be an impact driver with an 8mm hex bit, but I own neither of those things, so may need to get hold of those...

Some piccies:

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 20:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may need a socket drive allen head to get the leverage you need. Judicious sideways taps/harder bangs with a suitable drift and hammer on both the casting and the bolt heads may help 'crack' the bond. You can also tap hard on a socket drive into the head, which may also help release it.
gotbeanz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Andy said jejoenje I had to use a socket and hit it to release them the allen key will round the heads
so be careful mate.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely use a Hex socket.

having a long breaker bar helps, plus it comes in useful for doing the wheel nuts.

you cn get them for less than £10 inc;uding VAT and delivery, from Amazon:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPARES2GO-Drive-Balance-Knuckle-Breaker/dp/B01AG804B0/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1508057583&sr=1-9&keywords=long+1%2F2%22+breaker+bar

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, thats pretty unanimous. Yes I really do not want to mess these bolt heads up. Shocked

Gotbeanz I assume the socket you used would have been 1/4 inch fit? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to fit any larger (fatter) sockets along the end of the hub, unless the hex end is very long...?

I've got a couple of breaker bars and 1/2 inch socket sets but no hex fits; and again either it would have to be an extra slim socket, or a 1/4 inch one.

There's a place locally I can borrow an impact driver, which with the right bit might do the trick..?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't have the hex bit on a socket too long, otherwise they tend to twist and snap off, must like your hand held one above.  Sad

Remember first to slightly tighten the bolt, to help crack the seal, then undo it.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
skiorsail

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

impact screwdrivers are cheap might be worth a try  and used to be an essential tool for motorcycle work
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again folks. I've got a couple of bits ordered that will hopefully help, and I will borrow an impact driver (sadly too low on funds at the moment to buy one, but yes in terms of tools this is top of the wish list!) before I do anything else. In the meantime, the bolts are getting regular taps with a drift and penetrating oil treatment.

Hopefully I will be able to report success later in the week...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

If/ when you get round to buying an electric impact wrench do not buy a 12v one. They are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

HTH

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
If/ when you get round to buying an electric impact wrench do not buy a 12v one. They are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

HTH

Unless one spends loads O dough on an expensive battery powered machine. e.g. Snap-On, Makita, etc.

jejoenje - Those bolts, try a piece of steel bar of about 5/8 to 3/4 inch round or square, long enough to hold comfortably,
one end held squarely against the bolt, and belt the bar with a 2lb hammer, that will loosen them.
Done that, must be thousands of times. Get it right - it works - - - Promise.

NOTE =  The bar must have a neat flat end that is pressed on the bolt.

If that method burrs the hex, just simply tap a hex key into the head, to re-form the hex.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised that I have a set of 10mm hex bits 75 mm long with varied allen hex and torx tips.. They will fit nice and straight, turned by a 10mm socket on whatever drive bar you like, as they are long and slim enough to clear the hub. Your shorter socket driven bits may not fit straight into the heads so easily, as they foul the hub boss, -  I have tried this.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deker and Andy.

Deker; thanks for this. I'll give this a go - I've already been doing a fair bit of tapping via a drift that fits into the head of the bolts, I may well follow your advice further and using some bigger stuff if they refuse to comply!

Andy -
andyman wrote:
Just realised that I have a set of 10mm hex bits 75 mm long with varied allen hex and torx tips..
Do you happen to have some photos and/or a link to similar ones online? Curious which sort they are.

This is what I'm waiting on:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M1HH1X4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y72D41E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The former should just fit on to whatever impact driver I can find, the latter should hopefully just fit along the side of the hub, onto a short 1/4 inch extension and a breaker bar.

Lewis wrote:

Yup, the one I've been borrowing previously is an 18v DeWalt one (similar to this).
I'm hoping that something like this would have enough "oomph" to at least hammer some movement into them...?
But if anyone would have a good suggestion for a good value for money one (bearing in mind I want it for general purpose driving, I don't really want a full on air wrench that I'm unlikely to use more than once in a blue moon), I'd be happy to take suggestions! Smile
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is similar to what I have  https://www.amazon.co.uk/SW-Stahl-vielzahnbit-M8-long-05222l/dp/B008JG6ZXS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1508183535&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=75mm+Long+10 (I lied about them having allen tips, but a T50 torx like this fits the bolt heads.) Probably with the hub cap removed, the socket-driven one will be long enough, I would prefer 3/8" or 1/2" drive. for strength. I don't think  the 1/4" drive will be strong enough, but  once loosened, would be a lot quicker in a drill for unscrewing and screwing in. If you are feeling flush, there is also this set. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bergen-SOCKET-3-10mm-allen-B1123/dp/B00BFJH422/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1508184979&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=75mm+Long+10mm++hex+shaft+allen+bits.
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first choice, you will need an extension socket drive

Your second choice would be better, but in 3/8" drive. IMO, 1/4" drive is too flimsy for that application.

For an impact tool for occasional use, you may just as well buy hand held one that is used with a hammer.
Why throw money into a tool you won't use much.

I have 4 vehicles, and help out other vehicle owners, even I don't think it's a worthwhile investment  Exclamation

Remember what I said earlier, a good stout bar, and 2lb hammer. Use a good strong swing, don't lightly tap.
A hammer that is too light won't have enough shocking energy. Hammer too heavy, it will move the parts - with less shock.

Mr D
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. I'd actually seen (and considered) that Bergen set but was a bit suspicious that they would be too long (as in absorbing too much of the leverage).

Deker wrote:
Your second choice would be better, but in 3/8" drive. IMO, 1/4" drive is too flimsy for that application.

Point taken, did occur to me.. Personally I'd love to just stick to 1/2 inch! However, I'm almost certain I wouldn't be able to fit a 3/8 bit onto those bolts - there's just not enough room along the side of the hub (and definitely not a 1/2 inch one).
Anyway, here's to hoping that that first hex bit + impact driver is going to do the trick...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:

Yup, the one I've been borrowing previously is an 18v DeWalt one (similar to this).
I'm hoping that something like this would have enough "oomph" to at least hammer some movement into them...?
But if anyone would have a good suggestion for a good value for money one (bearing in mind I want it for general purpose driving, I don't really want a full on air wrench that I'm unlikely to use more than once in a blue moon), I'd be happy to take suggestions! Smile

That will work nicely and is similar to the 18v 400Nm Ryobi one I have:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-R18IW3-0-3-Speed-Impact-Wrench/dp/B0177CI5J6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1508227580&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Ryobi+impact+wrench&psc=1

Ryobi's own batteries are not cheap, but there are some aftermarket ones available:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLOUREON-4000mAh-Cordless-Battery-Trimmer/dp/B01N1YVS0Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1508227674&sr=1-1&keywords=One+plus+battery

I have four Ryobi ones and two of the compatibles, all of which are 4AH units, for using with various other Ryobi ONE+ tools, which are slowly replacing my mains driven items.

The impact wrench poved very usefull when I had to drop the gearbox, in Spain, last year and has wheel nuts off and on in seconds. A d also to get the rear diff apart to replace the pinion seal. I also put it to good use helping a N.Yorks based club member replace his rear coil springs and afew other bits earlier this year. It comes with a small drillbit adapter, so with the speed on the lowest setting you have a very versatile tool.

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Fri Oct 20, 2017 19:15; edited 1 time in total
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!  :D

Managed to get the bolts loose in the end - did some banging as suggested, and after all it turns out I could actually just fit a 1/2 inch hex socket. With a 30cm breaker bar, they actually came loose without huge heaving. I did have to put the truck back on its wheels first though (had been on stands).

Thanks for all the tips all, as always!

Lewis - thanks for the impact driver recommendation. Sounds like a good option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: