4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

The Old Coach Road - St. John's-in-the-Vale to Dockray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green laning - routes / RoW
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 23:16    Post subject: The Old Coach Road - St. John's-in-the-Vale to Dockray Reply with quote

Went for a drive in this area this afternoon - Five miles west of Penrith on the A66, turn left for Dockray. At its eastern end, the Old Coach Road has a rough car park big enough for several Delis. Very remote, yet only 2.5 miles from the Aira Force NT car park beside Ullswater. Battered signs on the gate to the road say parts may be impassable due to weather damage. Will check when I have more time left before dark. Car park is very suitable for a wild camp/stopover.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Dockray,+Penrith+CA11+0JY/@54.5881333,-2.9644406,923m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487ce632ec206afd:0x922eb941f405a68e!8m2!3d54.586022!4d-2.940808
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 23:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 0:32    Post subject: The Old Coach Road - St. John's-in-the-Vale to Dockray Reply with quote

Tried this in the Delica on Sunday. It is about 5 miles, but unfortunately, severe weather has severely damaged/washed out parts of a half mile stretch in the middle, eg 18" deep trench on one side, plus places where it crossed over to the other side, with plenty of rocks well placed to graunch metalwork as you slide in. Discretion being the better part of safety, I stopped and, with difficulty, turned back, trying it from both ends to ascertain how much was in this state. It will take a couple of truck loads of stone to make it passable for un-modded 4x4s like most of ours., although a trials biker I met said he had been over it this year in a lifted and modded Hi-lux. Excellent scenery, looking across the valley to Blencathra.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr...  Photos ?   Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Errr...  Photos ?   Wink

From Andy  Exclamation  Next Q Question

A little while back, I was about to instruct Andy how to use Photobucket - Forget that now  Crying or Very sad
And me  Sad

Need to find a picture hoster that allows picture embedding straight into a post. For that purpose.
Being a physical hands on person (electrical & mechanical) I'm no good at using software  Sad

Mr D
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fab! Smile
Thanks for the photos.

Would love to come down and try a bit of an overnighter there, when Selma is back ont road (probably not before spring now though  Sad ). Although yep, I'd make the same discretionary decision as you, Andy... ;)
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's enough space in that quarry for a whole meet, and pretty secluded! If folks are interested, I could ask at the nearest farm houses about ownership/ tenancy/obtaining permission. Pegging out an awning might be tricky, though, - the ground is -er - hard!
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - since Luke (Gotbeanz) and I guided each other over this deeply rutted and washed out trail the week before Coniston 2018, Cumbria CC, with helpers and money from the TRF, have repaired and rebuilt the culverts, and rebuilt the road with big stones  below, and smaller ones on top. Their work has made the road much more easily passable and safe, although some of the stonier bits are a bit sharp on your tyres. At least you won't get cross-axled or stuck in a rut or tip over! Fantastic, upland Lake District scenery (but no views of lakes!) For those with more sensitive tyres, there are some nice, quiet tarmac lanes to explore nearby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green laning - routes / RoW All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: