2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Intermitent speedo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rw1946

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 13:47    Post subject: Intermitent speedo. Reply with quote

Hi All. I know there has been a lot of talk about speedos not working and there appears to be a million reasons or ideas anyway. My 2.8 Auto now has the problem of an intermittent speedo, working or not working, and the auto box changes okay.  It had a speedo conversion when imported in 2004 by AVS-Motors in Eastbourne. It still has the 180 kph dial with just the "K" blanked out. I've tried ringing their old number but it just rings and rings. Has anybody had a conversion by them?  What sort of conversion was it? Would the conversion cause the needle to initially blip up and down and now either work or not? Using my sat-nav to keep me legal but was wondering if I should be looking at the sender end or the speedo end?  Any info on AVS or a good fix would be much appreciated.  Thanks folks. Slowly getting there.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 13:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the problem is with the sensor on left rear of gear box - On L400 models.

Your car imported in 2004, what model, and year of manufacture  is it  Question

Does the O/D still work - When speedo does not work  Question

Mr D
rw1946

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 18:03    Post subject: Speedo Reply with quote

Hi Deker. Sept 97. Just after the May 97 face lift. (Slightly flared front wheel arches.) Yes the OD works okay although the auto box can be jumpy at about 55mph, but you can power through that. Don't want to think about having to change the box at the moment. Hope it's not on the way out but that's another story. Does that help?
rw1946

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 18:08    Post subject: Speedo Reply with quote

Sorry, don't know the "model". It's a PD8W - 0300936 Space Gear. Where would I find the model info?
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 18:32    Post subject: Re: Speedo Reply with quote

rw1946 wrote:
Sorry, don't know the "model". It's a PD8W - 0300936 Space Gear. Where would I find the model info?

You said it = Facelift  Wink

If the gearbox is a bit jumpy, check the G/box fluid - both the level (engine running) and the colour, it should be a nice clean Red.

HTH

Mr D
rw1946

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 18:47    Post subject: Speedo Reply with quote

Had the auto box oil and filter changed but it is still there. More pronounced when under light load I think. Answer is not to cruise at 55mph.
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be firmly in top (o/d) at 55mph, unless your speedo is actually reading in kph, which is around 35mph, at which speed, I knock off my o/d until I know I can exceed 40mph/64kph (in my L300). If your speedo is indeed reading mph, your kickdown cable may need adjusting. Another possibility is that your water temperature sensor is not sending an accurate or consistent signal to the ecu, - low coolant level can do this, or a bad connection. On L400s, o/d cannot be engaged until the sensor reaches engine working temperature.
rw1946

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47    Post subject: Speedo Reply with quote

Speedo reads about 10% high at all speeds as matched to my sat-nav. Have correct size AT tyres fitted which may be the reason. Water level is okay and warms up okay on the gauge. I will check the sender connections for speed and water temp next week. The kick down appears to work okay but not sure if it is set up 100%. Will check next week. Thanks for your help. Never had a car that can throw up so many different problems from apparently so few minor faults. Dirty connection here causes problems there and there and there etc. etc. etc. Must have been ahead of its time when it was made. Still, a lovely ride and will go anywhere. I chose Mitsi because of the Super Select box. If they only did a diff-lock from new on the SWB. (Someone will now tell me they did!). Thanks again. Will report how I get on with the speed sensor wires.
skiorsail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of Speedos seem 5per cent high and when fitted with converter seems higher , the ones that have replacement mph dials depend on where you stick the needle back on, but will save fuels and fines the way it is .
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 18:58    Post subject: Re: Speedo Reply with quote

rw1946 wrote:
Speedo reads about 10% high at all speeds as matched to my sat-nav.
The kick down appears to work okay but not sure if it is set up 100%. Will check next week.

Many speedos read that high Shocked Not unusual  Sad

You can try letting off the "Kick Down" cable, not too much mind you.

Or it may well be the TPS needs adjusting.

Mr D
rw1946

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:14    Post subject: Speedo Reply with quote

Hi Mr Deker. TPS?
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 18:55    Post subject: Re: Speedo Reply with quote

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor.

Location - On top of the Injection Pump. Easy to see with Inter-cooler removed.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 21:06    Post subject: Re: Speedo Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
rw1946 wrote:
Speedo reads about 10% high at all speeds as matched to my sat-nav.
The kick down appears to work okay but not sure if it is set up 100%. Will check next week.

Many speedos read that high Shocked Not unusual  Sad

You can try letting off the "Kick Down" cable, not too much mind you.

Or it may well be the TPS needs adjusting.

Mr D

A speedo reading higher than actual speed nas absolutely nothing to do with either the kickdon or TPS setting.

Changing either of those will affect the running of the engine, but the speedo will still register higher.

It is purely down to the calibration of the speedo needle against a set speed on a rolling road.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Mon Aug 07, 2017 22:50; edited 1 time in total
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustment of TPS or kickdown is suggested as possible solutions to gearbox changing up and down at 55mph (give or take 10%/5mph speedo error). Incidentally, my L300's kph speedo was 8 - 10% optimistic with standard wheels and  half-worn  tyres. With new and bigger 265/70/15s on it, the error is down to around 3% at a registered 100kph, according to satnav.
rw1946

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 13:37    Post subject: Juddering Auto/box at 55mph Reply with quote

Hi Deker. Ref my previous comment about my auto box juddering at 55mph. My local mechanic found that it's not the box but the alternator sending too much current to the ECU at 2200rpm which caused the engine to misfire.  Nothing to do with the gearbox at all (We hope!). He checked it out on the Pajero forum and found the same fault over there with a new alternator as the 100% fix.  I had changed the auto box oil and filter but the problem persisted. I thought I was heading for a new g/box. Will report back when he has fitted a new alternator. Slowly getting there.
rw1946

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 18:19    Post subject: 2200rpm judder Reply with quote

Just had the alternator and belts changed and my judder/misfire has gone. Bought it all from that "bay" place and they supplied the wrong AC belt. Rechecked on their system with my reg number and it still came up with the V belt they had sent. It's not a V belt on mine but a flat belt with 4 grooves running around the inside to fit the special pulley.
Found the right one from Holdcroft, in Stoke, £13.09 +vat + £5 P+P. 2 weeks from Japan. Anybody else had this AC belt problem? Is mine odd? By the way, my mechanic changed the alternator from the top, fed the belts past the fan and had it back running within the hour. £30.00. He's a star.
rw1946

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:30    Post subject: Judder at 2200rpm L400 Reply with quote

Hi Folks. Forgot to get back as I said I would but I can confirm that a new alternator fixed my gearbox judder!! It was the alternator spiking volts at 2200rpm and sending a spike into the ECU which made the engine misfire. It's NOT a g/box judder. In normal driving you power through the 2200rpm range so don't notice it in the lower gears. You only notice it in top when cruising. The way to check is when stationary, in neutral, gently raise the revs to the problem engine speed. If you can detect a faint misfire it's the alternator, not the g/box. And you don't have to rush out and buy a new alternator like me, repair kits are available at not much money. Slowly getting there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: