Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

20" Alloys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevlea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 22:17    Post subject: 20" Alloys? Reply with quote

Howdy.

I know this will go against the grain for the majority of MDOCUK members but I have to ask this question.

I recently bought an L400 Delica as it ticked all the boxes on my list of requirements (plus I've wanted one for years!!).

Its ideal for carrying the kit I need for my personal training and fitness classes, carrying my kayak and mountain bike, camping and carrying friends and family. I'm interested in its offroad abilities though I'm unlikely to use it to its full potential. I'm looking to use it as a promotional vehicle and want it to stand out, (even more than it does now in the small fishing town where I live now!) and give it a more modern look.

Been searching on ebay, gumtree, etc to see what options there are and keep coming across 20" alloys. I'm currently running the Gloss black L200 16" warrior alloys it came with but can't remember the tyre size off hand but they are Cooper Discovery STT. They do rub in reverse on lock and the mudflaps have been removed for clearance. I'm after better economy, less road noise if possible too.

Has anybody fitted 20" wheels to theirs and can anybody recommend which tyre size I'd need to keep speedo accurate please?

I've tried searching on forum but 20" doesn't reveal any results and I've also tried tyre calculator sites but as I don't know what size should be on as factory standard its been difficult to gauge.

I'd appreciate any feedback and or experiences from those of you who have fitted alternative wheels. As I'm a newbie I'm unable to upload any photos yet but would love feedback on my particular truck and its current mods.

Thanks for reading.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 22:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember off the top of my head but I know someone has/had 18" wheels fitted... Think it was Arctic Fox on his rather nice lifted white L400. Don't think he's still on here though  :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rusty.

I've seen an L400 with 18" early shogun sport alloys too.

I'll do some more research now I've made a note of my tyre sizes.

Cheers
Diver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory standard is 225/80 15. So if fitting 20" rims you'd need something like 235/50 20 or thereabouts.
kevlea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Expect better handling, but a more jittery ride, the lower profile you go for. 20" wheels with 30" tyres will be pretty low profile, so I don't expect you will be going offroad much!

Not intending to do any off road as purchased my truck as a cool people carrying, cavernous work horse. May keep a set of winter wheels n tyres aside in case I do fancy getting it dirty!
I know it will sound like sacrilege to you more die hard owners but I did wonder about possibilities of converting to 2WD. ( I know!.......Sorry!)
kevlea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diver wrote:
Factory standard is 225/80 15. So if fitting 20" rims you'd need something like 235/50 20 or thereabouts.

235's would be a good bet. Should hopefully clear sliding door better than 275 40 20 option I'd seen.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I'll keep you posted.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect better handling, but a more jittery ride, the lower profile you go for. 20" wheels with 30" tyres will be pretty low profile, so I don't expect you will be going offroad much!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fit a wheel that is so large that it will require a low profile tyre to fit in the arch.

I still get the shakes when I remember what happened to Punkassmofo's low profile tyres on 17" alloys.

Punkassmofo wrote:

As you know I fitted 17" chrome wheels, and low profile tyres ........

Anyway, had a blowout yesterday, no big deal - BUT i checked the tyre - couldn't find any puncture..but did find this........

the inner wall of the tyre has completely disintigrated - not cheap tyres either.... leads me to think that maybe the load capacity of the tyres is not enough for the hulking weight of the Deli, so for now, I've put my old steel wheels back on (booo) until further investigation.... the chromes will be back though at some point, just probably with bigger tyres....

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Diver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low profiles would be okay providing you make sure you buy some that can take the load. Definitely don't use something for a Corsa for instance.

My new 'off-roader' has 275/40 20 and a kerb weight of 2260kg which is a little heavier than a Delica at 2050kg.

I did see a Delica for sale once with 20" alloys, actually looked good! Bumpier ride for sure, but couldn't be worse than driving one with mud tyres....   Laughing
kevlea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last two vehicles have had 20's.
Discovery TD5 with 255 20 and
XC90 with 275 20 so I'm kinda used to the ride. Here in Torbay the roads are terrible anyway so never going to be smooth!
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

My L300 is never going to be fast around corners or sporty, so I've just got the biggest that will fit - 265/70/15s for maximum comfort, and least chance of damaging my rims - on or off road!
mung is mercyless

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran trojan 18s on my L300 for exactly the same purposes advertising
i had to go down to 225 45 18 as the rubbed when i turned, on the bodykit, door and inner arch and the 45 profile was available.
the problem with the bigger rims is they are not popular in europe because of the availability of suitable rubber.
although you can get 20's with the 150mm centre bore from up garage in japan and they will post to the uk

and wolfrace do there vermont right up to 22" and they list the l200 on there sales list
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: