Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

lack of power, bad fuel economy but no black smoke

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brush hill

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis you have been a great help as has everyone on the forum cheers, I'll have my mechanic go through each suggestion on this thread and hopefully she'll be peachy for the summer.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

sturmy

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our L300 those symptoms turned out to be the rod becoming disconnected off the waste gate. Crawled underneath in the middle of nowhere in a blizzard and bodged it back on with welding wire...11 years later the wire is still there  :D
Good luck. Hope it is something easy or cheap.
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

sturmy wrote:
bodged it back on with welding wire

I've done exactly the same on mine Smile  surprising how long it lasts!
brush hill

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all, update she drops down when o/d switched on so nice cruising. Thinking that the way she drives is o/d out when you need some grunt but she going in on Wednesday to have the wastegate checked the egr checked a pipe pressure check and injectors cleaned so if she can't get over 55mph then I'll just take in the scenery and enjoy driving her. Thanks again for all your help and I'll report back
brush hill

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone she's had a right good going over nice new belts and clean up. It seems that the power loss at top end will be that the wastegate is stuck open. The mechanic says that its a big job to change as the manifold needs taking off, questions are is this true ? Could fixing the wastegate solve the problem and finally if I leave it unfixed will it damage her? Cheers for you thoughts
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste gate itself should be easy to access by lying just behind the offside front wheel and looking up and forwards towards the exhaust manifold. At the base of the turbo there's a small lever with a rod attached. Get pliers or something similar on the lever and free it up. Spraying some WD40 or similar on it first will help. This should at least free it off.

If there's an issue with the waste gate activator (this is what operates the rod connected to the lever) then that might be more involved (replacement is not complicated though).

If the waste gate is damaged internally then I could see that this would deffo cost more than just freeing it off. But usually they just need freeing off.
brush hill

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mouseflakes time to get dirty I think Laughing
andyman

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking it probably worked fine before it was stood for 3 years, so hopefully WD40 and a bit of jiggling with pliers should do the trick.
brush hill

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

True true andyman fingers crossed
brush hill

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone sorry but I can't seem to download the pics I took of my wastegate arm, I got under her and sprayed all I could see with wd40 but can't get any movement from the arm. I don't want to force it the mechanic says its stuck in the open position and to me it looks like the arm is in the down position and to close the valve, the arm looks like it needs to be pushed up would this be correct ? Embarassed
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the actuator at the top is a spring under a diaphragm, turbo pressure operates on the diaphragm and when it overcomes the spring begins pushing down and the rod starts to operate the wastegate, its meant to modulate the boost around the correct setting by opening further as pressure increases.
brush hill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone its been sometime but think she is finally getting there, she had perished hoses letting in air and treated her to a new cam belt too. Having new wastegate fitted in a couple of weeks as i had the turbo checked out and all sweet so hopefully be cruising around the southcoast soon thanks again for your help and i'll post a pic of the finished article in due course  :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: