Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Emergency Flare - Translated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41    Post subject: Emergency Flare - Translated Reply with quote

Hello,
I was concerned about the safety of the flare in the passenger footwell of the Delica (as its 18 years old now and the local fire station couldn't tell me how to dispose of it) so I asked a friend of mine who can read and speak Japanese to translate the Kanji characters printed on the side.  Some of it had rubbed off but this is what it says if anyone is interested:

It will have some English dates on (made and valid till)  I don't know whether "valid till" means it stops working around this time, or you should dispose of it around this time.
有効月日 1998.7 = valid until Jul 1998
製造月日 1994.8 = manufactured Aug 1994

The rest of the writing says things like don't point it at people when setting it off, light it away from petrol, don't let children play with it and boasts that neither wind nor rain will extinguish the red flame while it's burning. Unfortunately, the bit that tells you what to do with out-of-date flares is worn off, and I can't read it (though a native might be able to). Even if I could read it, it's only two characters so not much information.

The maker is also marked on there: 日本カーリット株式会社 = Japan Carlit Ltd, i.e. these folks: http://www.carlit.co.jp/ They might be able to tell you how to dispose of it. There are a few email addresses on the inquiry page.

This is the english site for carlit: http://www.carlit.co.jp/english/index.htm

I really don't want to throw this thing in a river or bury it... but what the hell do I do with it?!

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have mine.

Basically it is a match, it won't explode or spontaneously combust, it just burns when lit, with the striker.  :D

Can't say as I've ever seen a matchbox with a 'use by' date on it.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
aerris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you do with it? take it out of the red packaging and actually light it with a light or something? does it not go off if you pull it out of the plastic tube?
regcheeseman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait till nov 5 and then set it off.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be removed from the tube.

The part that burns is a solid unit, with a plastic cap over it. The igniter is on the cap. You turn the cap over and strike the igniter across the face of the core to ignite it, then it just burns for about 20 minutes and dies out.

Like I said it is basically a match.

https://app.box.com/s/9my33kbc3hinhubhjgcgf99bwa0mpvia

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Sun Nov 12, 2017 23:50; edited 2 times in total
aerris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it shoot something into the air like a firework or just burn really bright at the end of the flare?  I have been imagining something that could take down a jumbo jet!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooooo!   Twisted Evil

Like I said it is a match, you lite it, it burns, nothing shoots out, nothing explodes, IT IS A MATCH.....  Laughing

Just don't let any nutters play with it:-

Link

ルイス
Keefe
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it lit, you wus!  Laughing  Wink  Laughing

Is jus a match, peeps.

Probably just fizzle?  :D

Send me it, I'll let it off in school!

It's just a marker, like a warning triangle. Great for forest fires and the like.
Look up the Akamas fires.

NURSE! I'm out of bed again!!!
aerris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I'm not so scared of it now.  i was imagining it would do this (even this seems tame compared to what I thought it would do!)

Link

Keefe
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have been thinking of distress flares, the ones you fire up into the sky or into your neighbours greenhouse. Ooops! That's another story. ;-)
Charlie B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi aerris

Can you get your friend to translate all the stickers inside your Deli please
aerris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live near him anymore so we can only communicate by email so if you take photos of the stickers you want translated and put the online I can send them to him.  He is a busy guy though so I don't know how long it would take him to respond Smile
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 19:53    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flare - Translated Reply with quote

aerris wrote:
I really don't want to throw this thing in a river or bury it... but what the hell do I do with it?!

Wait till you get stuck in a river or other water, then set it off to attract attention to your sillyness  Laughing

Sorry - couldn't help it  Smile  No offence mate  Smile

Deker
freddread123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:59    Post subject: flare Reply with quote

Iv had several of these things in pajeros and delis , just light the thing "easy , mine was 10 years out of date , burned a treat for 20 mins ,, you can hold it  the flame being like 2" long lol ,, light the barbie with it "  only thing is if you stare at it you see red for two hours haha , very bright "  but certainly not dangerous at all , just light it burn it off and stick it back in its holder , its nice to keep the thing"
Jocky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, totally legal to have in the car, unless you start waving it in someone's face Evil or Very Mad
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is new to me.  Embarassed

Thought that was a torch holder  :?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torch holder, and torch/ inspection lamp, is on the rear offside panel.

It's Deffo for holding the flare:-

ルイス
DelicaTessAn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flare legality query

If the flare was the type that works like a firework rocket then it is possible (but unlikely) that it would be illegal (or count as a firearm which would also be illegal)

However, I understand that the flare is actually like a 'roman candle' which means that it is just a firework (so almost certainly legal).
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelicaTessAn wrote:
I understand that the flare is actually like a 'roman candle' which means that it is just a firework (so almost certainly legal).

Obviously you missed what I wrote, in more than one post, on the previous page.  :?

It is not a rocket, it is not a firework — a Roman Candle fires projectile.

It is a match that burns with a bright light. You light it and put it on the floor. When it has  burned all the stuff in it it goes out and you pick it up and dispose of it like any other waste.

See this YouTube video:-   How to use a car road safety flare

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:07; edited 1 time in total
DelicaTessAn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry -yes, I agree.

Looking at the vid, I can't see that they are much cop compared to just putting your hazards on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: