Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Towing Weights etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratso

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 20:16    Post subject: Towing Weights etc. Reply with quote

Hi all;

After deciding to get a caravan I have tried to get the tech specs of the Deli to make sure it will tow the van me and the other half want.

The van has a maximum gross towing weight of 1525kg ( I believe this is the weight of the van plus any gear you are carrying in it etc)

The Deli (according to the club manual) has a kerb weight of 2050kg and a gross weight of 2435kg.

This all seems okay to me as I have been told the normal limit of the ratio to use when working out what you can tow with a car etc is 85 % of the weight of the towing vehicle.

The only thing I can't find out is what the limit for the noseweight on the towball is as it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual. Has anyone any idea what this weight is so I can make sure I  don't pick a van that I can't tow.

Thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 20:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

alan S

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ratso
I've posted a few replies on both our sites so feel free to search, these are brill tugs, however nose weight is an empty space so far. most 'vans average 50-80 kgs our bailey camague is nose heavy and is at the top end, even maybe above with a max weight of approx 1550.
our previous 'van was a spectrum 420 (1680 kgs) better balanced at the nose and towed by our estima at that time. the esti could handle it but laboured on the hills and liked to be cruising at 62 where the power balanced.
The Delica 2.8TD willpull on the flat 75+ but it I think it is common for diesels to lose top end climbing, ours will hold 60 on most motorway hills and behave quite well on country roads. Watch side winds though, strong gusts can be a pain especially on roads with open fields mainly cos of the easy light steering.
I've meet three other 'vanners with middle to large 'vans and all are impressed and many others with pajero/shoguns equally.
Big continentals like the hobby's could be a problem but I don't know their weights.
hope you don't mind the waffle and it's of use
and see you out there some where
Regards
Alan
pyrogaz

Location: Caithness, next stop polar bears and hardy little chaps in Parkas

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ratso

I have towed 2000kg (triple axle trailer) which was the limit my towbar supplier recommended; they also quoted 75kg max ball weight which I think they arrived at from experience rather than any technical info. The Delica seems to have a very light back end so may not be too critcal as long as the bar is man enough.
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading somewhere that the 85% rule only applies to two-wheel drive vehicles and that 4X4 could safely tow much more.

Anyone else heard this or am I dreaming :?
Dave
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85% rule is advisory aimed really at newcomers to towing. Make sure you've got a decent set of rear springs on as delis can be softly sprung and a good stabiliser.
I used to tow a 2000kg twin axle with my old Deli and it never missed a beat, it even used to fly up Rhaullt Hill on the A55 coming out of north wales. A good 2.8 mitsy engine will pull like a train, I used to have to watch my speed whilst towing tha caravan with mine or it'd just keep creeping up...
8ob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly tow a 3.5 ton tilt bed IW trailer behind my Delica Space Gear, it seems to manage it okay even with a 2.5 ton machine on board and the back of the van loaded up with all my kit. With reference to drawbar weights, there should not be much more than 150kg on the drawbar whatever the trailer weighs.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: