4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Beautiful Day But Came Home On The Back Of A Breakdown Truck

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging words Lewis!  To be honest, even the rain you see in Saraha would be a start!

Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case you need to start collecting some camel pee.  Laughing

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might burn better!
andyj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

daft question: I've just had a simlar prob and it turned out to be electrical.. have you tested the solenoid and wiring going to make sure its okay?

i found out i had a problem with the SIX pin connector ontop of the pump, looking at the male side its the TWO on the top far right that get 12v with ignition live, my prob was a dirty/worn connector block

also didn't hear any clicks from the back of IP when ignitionwas live (glow plug relay wire was off) but i learn the SIX pin connector governs the glow solenoid as well, christ knows what pins though.

still better than being recovered on ther back of a low loader!
andyj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to add, the Deli will pass TONS of fuel back to the tank, you can be running with about 25% air in the lines and it will still run alright!
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your feeling brave, there is a manual out there for the fuel pump.  Twisted Evil
I remember looking at it once and thinking I'd have a go,  if I had some spare time.
I would have brought another pump to run the truck on for the year that it would take me to mess about with the other  Embarassed

Would be a good write up,  and your good at those.  Wink
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Andy; yes I checked all the electricals and took the plunger out of the stop solenoid just in case, all to no avail.

I am happy to strip the pump and replace seals etc. but I guess that there are other things that are checked and maybe replaced if necessary and then it comes down to setting up the pump again which I wouldn't be able to do, so I guess sadly, its coming down to having to spend some serious money getting it sorted by someone else.

To cheer myself up this afternoon though, I made a start on putting a captains seat in the front passenger side; going quite well, I've cut the runners down, done a little panel beating on the floor and drilled the two front bolt holes so should be finished later this week hopefully.

Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking of getting someone else to sort out your pump, it would be worth asking Mark 3. He travels, and Essex isn't so far from Spalding.
Andy W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I will contact him, though I'm not sure if he reconditions them or not.
hotchpotch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

I've not been on here for a while, but have just read through this thread.

A few years ago, I got to a similarly desperate situation with my LWB Deli and dumped it in the diesel shop that had recently rebuilt my pump and refurbed the injectors.  It turned out to be a fracture in the metal pipework that goes along the side of the pump to the banjo connector at the front.

I'm not sure if this is entirely relevant to your problem, but as no-one else has mentioned it, I thought I may as well throw it in the pot.

HTH

Peter

From the Latin, meaning 'Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future.'

Or, in today's language 'Do all the things you love today, because you may not be here tomor$&£@>>>.....  ...
Andy W

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Peter; it is not something I have checked so will have a look,

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that pipe was fractured there would be fuel leaking out under pressure and running down the side of the engine.  Sad

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
c12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jut a thought as I'm reading through this post and getting some great ideas to help my problem
has anyone pulled a vacuum on the fuel lines on the back of the pump to see if the oil seal is leaking air would this be a way of testing it ?
Andy W

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well finally got the pump back from Ribble Valley Diesels they said the main cylinder (??) inside the pump was badly scored and would have been pulling in air for a while; total cost of replacing the scored cylinder and fitting new seals etc came to £465 which I felt all things considered wasn't bad at all.
Refitted it and drained the batteries twice before the fuel came through and then after a couple of silly set up issues it is running again. Drove for about 20 minutes the other night with no problems, then yesterday for over an hour with no problems.
So finally sorted, thanks to everyone for your input on this very long (though not record breaking) thread, I have certainly learnt a lot and can get the fuel pump out and back in, in just over 2 hours !
Andy
nug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news mate :D
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it's solved it.  thumbup
gnomebase

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, and many thanks for keeping us updated.
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said it was fixed, that was after a good few miles, however on Sunday it conked out again!

With a reconditioned fuel pump, new filter and housing /priming pump, the only thing left that hasn't been replaced are the fuel lines, so I purchased 10m of 8mm fuel hose to fit new between the filter and pump and the filter and the tank.

Today I fitted the new hose so now the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the return line but I can't see that being an issue unless you guys think different.

When I was connecting the hose to the tank I took off the return hose by mistake and found that the tank had a big vacuum in it, which took two or three seconds to equalise. This got me thinking about whether this might be the problem with the pump sucking so hard that it pulls in air at times, or is a vacuum in the tank fairly normal?

Getting very tired of this now, it's taking far too long to resolve.

Cheers, Andy
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up Andy!

At least you will have a great vehicle at the end as you've replaced nearly everything!.  

Sounds like a bit too much vacuum to me,  but an expert will be along soon.

Your nearly there  Smile
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy W wrote:
When I was connecting the hose to the tank I took off the return hose by mistake and found that the tank had a big vacuum in it, which took two or three seconds to equalise. This got me thinking about whether this might be the problem with the pump sucking so hard that it pulls in air at times, or is a vacuum in the tank fairly normal?

There shouldn't be a vacuum inside the tank at all. There is a breather unit located on the top of the tank, with pipes going from it to the front and rear ends. It's possible that mud has got up abbove the tank and blocked it.

Unfortunately removing the tank is the only way to check it.

A simple remedy is to drill a 1mm hole into the centre part of the outer cap, from the inside, as per the photo below:-

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: