4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Fuel Tank Connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 18:32    Post subject: Fuel Tank Connections Reply with quote

Having pulled out the fuel tank this afternoon, I was quite surprised to see how complicated (to a degree!) the set up is for the fuel level and/or breather.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w416/cw_familyAndyW/Fuel%20Tank_zps7gmdlxts.jpg

B - this is where the electrics connect to the tank and presumably the level sensor.
A,C & D are confusing me, what is their purpose?  they have tube connecting them together and something that possibly is a breather between them; if it is a breather, why two, if it isn't a breather, then what is it?

Cheers,

Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 18:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they not pumps - one at each end of the tank so you don't get fuel starvation on steep gradients with low fuel?
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andyman; the big hole in the top left is a flange with the main pump suction and return lines on it, A&D are not connected to this and don't have any electrical hook up so I don't think they are pumps.

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 0:19    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Connections Reply with quote

Andy W wrote:
A,C & D are confusing me, what is their purpose?  they have tube connecting them together and something that possibly is a breather between them; if it is a breather, why two, if it isn't a breather, then what is

It is the tank breather. The central item has a one way valve in, to stop water getting in when wading.

A vent at front and rear is down to it being an offroader, for when you are either ascending or descending very steep inclines.  Arrow

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Lewis, pretty logical really!

I was surprise at the corrosion on the suction and return pipes on the manifold bolted to the tank; it wasn't life threatening as such but needed a good clean up and then some phosphoric acid and a repaint - its all good now though.

Tank back in at the weekend hopefully with the new Webasto suction connection fitted.  I also thought it might be a good experiment to put the diesel in a few litres at a time and mark it off on the fuel gauge on the dashboard to make the gauge a bit more accurate as it seems to take a long time to go from full to half full and then no time from half to empty.

Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's like that. I thought it was something to do with my right foot! Sad
Andy W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, driving faster to get to the gas station faster to fill up as the level is getting lower!
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it! Except in a L300, it gets louder more than it gets faster! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: