4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Hub cover/Hubcap... Am I missing something?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanderBosch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:33    Post subject: Hub cover/Hubcap... Am I missing something?! Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

On my way back from the skatepark, one of my buds decided to step on my front passenger side hubcap cover, pulling it off the wheel. It was getting dark so I took all the pieces (the cap and the 6 plastic pieces) and threw it in the van to work on it later.

Today I tried to get the cap/cover back on and I can not figure this out. I see the retainer clips that are attached to the wheel go into the slots of the small plastic pieces. Those plastic pieces then fit in slots on hubcap/cover. But it seems like an alignment nightmare. I've tried fitting the plastic pieces onto the hubcap/cover and then getting the retainer clips into the slots with no luck. I also tried to put the small plastic pieces on the retainer clips and then trying to ease the cap/cover on with no luck.

I've searched this forum as well as the Canada forum with absolutely no luck. Am I missing something or is reinstalling this hubcap/cover this difficult?  Sad

Any information will be very helpful. I can also post pictures later this week if needed.

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

motorang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as it is on my auto hubs there are no extra 6 plastic pieces ... there is only that plastic cap and the metal clip ring that stays on the hub.
Possibly these are broken off bits?

Pictures would help. Or have a look on the other (non-damaged) side?

Andy
motorang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, for small money you can get manual FW-Hubs which do not need an extra cover.
They look good, are more versatile and reliable than the auto hubs.
With disengaged front wheel hubs you can use 4WD low only on the rear wheels, without risking a diff lock-up.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Freewheel-Hub-Assembly-For-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Pickup-Triton-V32-V44-V46-L200-K72T-K74T-K75T-L300/838901_1591072812.html

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 14:32    Post subject: Re: Hub cover/Hubcap... Am I missing something?! Reply with quote

VanderBosch wrote:
........I've searched this forum as well as the Canada forum with absolutely no luck. Am I missing something .........

Did you see this similar post, from a few weeks ago- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47965

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
VanderBosch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lewis!

I did not see that post before (damn my searching skills!.... Embarassed )

Those pictures you posted on that link are the exact hubcovers I have. They show the main cover and those 6 plastic pieces that press fit into the cover. it also shows the retainer clips I can see from the outside of the wheel. However, it does not really describe how to install them? Does anyone have a procedure on getting the six plastic pieces as well as the cover installed? Seems like an alignment nightmare...

Thanks again for the information! I'm going to have to save that post just in case I screwed up my clips...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small extensions need to be glued into the hubcap. You will probably find two part epoxy works better.

Once they are set then they just need slipping over the retainers, with a bit of a thump to push them into place.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
VanderBosch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

??

I was under the impression that the retainer clips need to be slipped into the slot on the other end of the small extensions. Each extension needs two retainer clips to slip through the slot on the end that is pushed up against the rim. When I just push the cover with the extensions attached over the hub, without slipping the clips through each extension piece, its still extremely loose?

Maybe this is the big part i'm missing.... Do the retainer clips fit through the slot at the other end of the extension pieces? or is it a press over fit?

Thanks again for everything
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The retainers are wholly enclosed inside the hubcap, like a hand in a glove.

ルイス
VanderBosch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe my clips are bad? Because If i just push the cover on over the hub, it is very loose. I'll purchase a new retainer clip and see if that helps.

Thanks again for all the help, I made this a bigger issue then it actually is haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: