4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Roof Racks!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dakes1984

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 17:46    Post subject: Roof Racks!! Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I posted a reply here yesterday but can't seem to find the feed anymore!!!

Sorry if this has been covered previously but I wanted to ask of any opinions/experience of the Thule system 763 bars along with the 420 footpack for my L400.

It was recommended by roof box .co .uk which I have duly ordered.

Rhino rack also do a version which they can recommend which is the RL210 retailing for £353.89 for a 3 cross bar system and £291.76 for a 2 cross bar system.

With £13.50 postage on top, I didn't fancy paying that much for my first bars which I would be pretty much only using to carry a pair of kayaks.

I tried the usuals, Halfords etc.. and direct 4x4  links that other guys have been posting have now expired and didn't particularly trust the wild wild west of eBay...

Any opinions/experiences on the roof racks mentioned? Feedback always welcomed and appreciated :-)

Thanks,

Luke
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 17:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

CSMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luke,

I'm in exactly the same situation at the moment looking for some reasonable roof bars to stick my SUP on. In another thread Lewis mentioned Thule 951 for standard roof Delica's and 952 for high roof versions, with the appropriate bars in between.
I popped into our local Halfords main store to find blow all useful information and no staff to actually discuss/trial the right bars.

When you get these new bars, let us know and maybe some pictures of the fit?

Rich
belch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the direct4x4 version for my high roof L400 a couple of yrs ago but they were very poor quality, the thule 952 do come along once in a while on ebay but never when you want em .

I went for a different approach & bought some secondhand landrover defender locking bars ( always plenty for sale from £20-£60), some of my gutter trim was missing so pulled the rest off to get these bars to fit & never looked back, tough as old boots, rock solid & easy to get on & off.
dakes84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the late response, we ended up heading up to North Wales. No issues yet, holding two Kayaks on top no problems.

The roof rack I ordered has held up well in all fairness, haven't exactly been bombing it past 60mph either though!

My only concern is that they have loosened the gutter from the fit, its not hanging on or anything but it has made them bulge a little.

Also being nearly 6'2 in height has its advantages, putting items on top without the need of a stool or step ladder (although they do come in handy) has been a little bit of a challenge, anyone a little shorter I feel would struggle, especially when it comes to tying off due to the height of the bars.

Can't upload pics unfortunately because the forum won't let me yet!!

Smile

Luke

(You need a certain amount of posts and and a minimum membership period for the anti-spam system to make it possible for you to post photos and links but using two different username will cause problems. Please decide which you wish to use. IE:- dakes1984 or dakes84, then the other can be closed. Moderator)
BarefootBennett

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof racks/bars for the Delica seems to be a mish mash of old out of date info, and try this i adapted it to to work for me etc

The rhino rack stuff is extortionate !

The landrover defender locking bars, are they the 110 90's ?

I'm looking for more of a full length rack type of thing as i have just got myself an awning i will have to carry it on, and attach it to.
dakes84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any pics of your land rover mods to see what they look like?

Yeah that was the trouble with my whole searching for these roof racks, so much information out there that was relevant but is now outdated.

Hopefully the ones i do have hold up alright in the long term. Someone mentioned welding them could be a solution if the gutter thing doesn't work out...we shall see...

Another thing of note with my roof racks, it was an extremely tight fit for the covers to fit (they basically don't) but I've managed to fit the front two and not the back two, despite two of us attempting to strong arm it....
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thule legs and bars were very strong I only pushed my rack back and popped the rear gutter mouldings off when I hit a branch.
Bazza

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
chuck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just taken the thule roofbars off my L400 exceed this morning after finally finding the keys as i bought the locking knobs afterwards.
I'm sure the footpack and bars came  halfords and worked very well.
Took lots of photos but don't know how to attach them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: