Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Replacing the rear diff pinion oil seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:50    Post subject: Replacing the rear diff pinion oil seal Reply with quote

I noted my rear diff pinion seal had started to leak a few several months back, but poor weather and health issues (fractured Pelvis and hip socket) had prevented me from doing anything about it.

I had an hour to spare yesterday so thought I would set to and get it done whilst the weather was warm, before going off to play in a field.  Rolling Eyes

You can get the seals from your local Mitsu dealers parts dept, usually overnight, for about £17.70.

This is the seal and the left picture is the back, that faces out after it is fitted Part 26 in the diagram above.

Right so first off I nipped to my nephews and used his two post lift and parked my bum on a stool, with wheels, as I still hurt a bit when tugging stuff about or standing for too long. I wasn't in a mood to crawl under the truck out on the road.  Rolling Eyes
though you can just do it, on level ground, using a pair of axle stands.

Note: you do not need to drain the diff oil, unless you are unsure when it was last changed or suspect water may have got in.

Once the Deli is ready, with the gears in neutral and the handbrake off, you need a 12mm spanner for the bolt head and a 14mm one for the nut, to remove the prop shaft. just turn the shaft to bring the next bolt round. Mark off the first nut position with the prop with a mating mark. It's not really necessary as there is a particular shape to the the end and it is fairly obvious how it fits back, but it makes it easy to spot:-

Once removed fasten the prop up out of the way, rather than leave it dangling in the air. A plastic tie fits nicely through a hole in the exhaust shield:-

As you can see here the bolt holes are not equally spaced on the shaft, making it easier to refit it correctly.

You need a 30mm socket for removing the nut holding the flange to the diff housing:-

If you are built like a gorilla, with muscles to match, a long wrecking bar may suffice to undo the nut. I'm not, so an air ratchet was used. Plus I didn't fancy tugging too hard on a bar and have the Deli fall off the two post lift, with me under it.  Evil or Very Mad  

Note that you do not need to count how many times you have turned the nut to remove it. The flange only goes on so far, butting up against the diff housing and oil seal, with the nut and washer butting up tightly to that.

At this point it is a good idea to position something under the diff to catch any oil that may leak out.

Once the nut is off you need a short bearing puller to get the mating flange off. A mating mark is useful here so you line up the splines right. .:-

Once again an air ratchet makes for an easier life:-

After the flange is off use a flat bladed screwdriver to lever the old seal out. Smear the rubber surfaces of the new seal with some oil prior to fitting and ensure the flat side of the seal is facing you when you fit it.

I then just used a length of bar and a wide socket, fitted on backwards, to gently tap the seal in full into place, so it is flush with the diff:-

Next comes the hardest part.... Fitting the flange back on.

Ensure you have not picked up any crud in the splines of the shaft or inside the flange then slide the flange on as far as you can, which won't be much. Use a big flat faced rubber mallet to knock the flange back until it meets up with the diff. If you don't have a rubber mallet then a lump hammer and a block of wood will do:-

Once the flange is back on refit the the nut and washer, then rotate one rear wheel to bring the mating mark back to where it started out at.

Refit the propshaft and tighten the nuts up to 49-50n.

Then just top up the diff with fresh oil.

Check the diff after a couple of days. If you have oil coming out then you may not have got the flange back as far as it should go (assuming you did not damage the new seal on fitting). Remove the propshaft and using the rubber mallet again force the flange further back and retighten the nut.

As you can see from the times on the bottom right of the photos it only took me 50 minutes and a fair bit of that was used up washing oil off my face when I slipped whilst taking the old seal out.  Rolling Eyes  Laughing

Once I had cleaned up, got the Deli back on the ground and packed my tools away, it was a case of heading off to play in the fields and 'make hay whilst the sun shone', or rather recover what we could after a rainstorm flattened it.. Laughing :-

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Wed Nov 11, 2020 13:20; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Write Up  Smile

Interesting about not having to count the turns on the nut. I did one of these once and around a year later - the diff failed. I thought I had overtightened but that's made me feel better  Smile
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Lewis.
Bazza :D

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, but now I've got no excuse  Crying or Very sad

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: