Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Scottish Borders at Easter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Overnight camping locations (Free) ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 0:03    Post subject: Scottish Borders at Easter Reply with quote

Thinking of spending a few days and nights going West to East along the Scots side of the border, (wild camping).Has anyone got any good recommends for stopovers and interesting visits/beautiful, off- the-beaten-track places? I will report back any good places I find.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 0:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far North would you like to go  Question  Loch Lomond too far  Question  Some fantastic parts around Garelochhead (B 833) down to Clynder,
Rosneath, Kilcreggan, Cove and Coulport. Do NOT wild camp anywhere near Coulport - you may get shot  Shocked

Google street view does not do justice to the the view across Gare Loch, from the B 833 or to the North of the Loch.

If you should go there, use the Glen Fruin Road A 817 ( a military public road)  from the A 82 a little way past Arden, to Garelochhead,
on a sunny day the views of the beginning of the Highlands is just stunning.

The view across Gareloch from my friends patio, at Rosneath  Smile  The hill is about 600 ft above sea level.
Sitting on the patio, looking across the Loch on a warm summer evening, with a smoke, sipping Whisky,
watching vehicles go by on the other side at Rhu, is just so relaxing.

Up that way, twixt Garelochhed & Arrochar, (A 814) heading East to Loch Lomond, is Tulloch Road (Google street view)
not shown on some maps, a hair raising road if another vehicle is approaching you  Exclamation
Saw a couple wild camping there last year with a camper van.

Andy, go there, I promise you will not be disapointed.

Otherwise, if you are feeling too feeble to travel too far  Wink  - some interesting stop overs off the B 6357, a wee bit North of Northumberland National Park,
stopped there last year, just before the A 68 (your suggestion was off or around the A 68)

Deker
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

May try the Gareloch, Campbelltown and Mulligan's Tyre in the summer,  but for easter, thinking  Tweedale, the Cheviots and borders Southwest towards Dumfries., and the wooltowns north of Kielder. I'll probably find good reasons why I haven't been there!
davep10000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
West of Dumfries - there are endless places to stop, but my favourite is in the Galloway forest - they almost positively encourage rough camping (even in a vehicle), with it being a dark skies park. Forest tracks everywhere, and if you are sensible you are spoilt for choice.

One I used a couple of weeks ago is at GR499730 (Go on streetmap for an OS online map) - its about 1/2 a mile up a rough track, and v close to a fishing loch.

If there is anyone already there (Being Easter there may be) - go down the raiders road GR 546752 (8 mile long forest track - buy a ticket for a couple of quid covers you all night), and lots of places there, best being the Otters pool by the river.

Another favourite is GlenTrool Bruce's stone, GR415804 - used as a stop for climbing Merrick (840m).

If you want to go (a lot) further West, to Mull of Galloway - you can stop on the shoreline at GR144310. The farmer might request a couple of quid, but great spot (espec if you like sea fishing).

You will be surprised how quiet it is once you are off the A75.

Dave.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do head over to the Mull of Galloway, then follow the road and short track over to Ardwell Bay. There is some hard standing for parking on, above the beach or go another 100yds don the track and you will just be a few yards off the beach. It's a great place for coastal walks, paddling or swimming and also night fishing. It is facing west and gives some 'loverly' sunsets.

I have stayed there for a couple of days at a time, with just a few cars or people walking along the coast. Access is by turning off the main road to the Mull (A716), at Lake cottage, just south of Sandhead. The road peters out but you continue on a track, as though going into a farm.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, chaps. I have fond memories of camping near Gatehouse as a child, but never got as far as the Mull. Both there, and the forest tracks sound right up my street, I love sleeping and waking up in wild and remote places, and the Deli makes a good hide for watching wildlife.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Overnight camping locations (Free) ... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: