2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Buying a towbar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
must_dash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a 2002 V6 and looking to get a towbar, catch is I need to tow a 3000kg trailer.  Anybody had dealings with anybody who can supply?
Thanks
Tom
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 16:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Delica's are imports they haven't had the tests in the UK to tow so there's no legal weight or towbar

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
must_dash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should rephrase that. I have spoken to a couple of companies and they say that their bars are only designed for say 2000kg, ie caravans

I'm looking for a bar that can safely handle 3000-3500 kg
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 to 3.5 tonnes  Shocked  You may will be over the legal weight of the vehicle you will be towing with.

Check the DVLA site for the Regs.
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooooo someone nicked me post  Rolling Eyes

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
albideli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Deker, although the Deli may be capable You definately won't find a towbar to that spec and I believe you certainly won't be legal with that GTW,  you also won't be able to prove towing spec as the Delica doesn't have a towbar with type approval or towing weight specicifications. I know people do tow up to those weights but it'd be at the drivers risk and the insurance wouldn't like it.
albideli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

although the Deli may be capable You definately won't find a towbar to that spec and I believe you certainly won't be legal with that GTW,  you also won't be able to prove towing spec as the Delica doesn't have a towbar with type approval or towing weight specicifications. I know people do tow up to those weights but it'd be at the drivers risk and the insurance wouldn't like it.
must_dash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice

On the legality side: a) the car is going abroad.
                             b) Towing anything is probably illegal as has been said in the many posts it doesn't have weights stamped on the data plate.
                            c) I think that most (all?) tow cars in the 3-3.5T range are towing way above the 85% mark.  I have been towing in this weight for 30 years.  A Disco 2 for example weights 2100-2200kg and can tow 3.5 with overrun brakes and 4.0 with hydraulic brakes.  Also at that weight are Disco 1s, Land cruisers and Touregs.
albideli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

True most of those can tow higher weights, the main reason is the design, the Delica is monocoque chassis whereas a lot of those have the separate chassis so the towing design is there which many don't think about with the Deli
must_dash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed :D
davep10000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85% figure is generally assumed a safe (and sensible) ratio when towing at normal speeds on public roads to get a stable rig in windy / wet conditions etc.

The ability of Land Rovers etc that are able to tow 3500kg (4000kg linked hydraulic brakes) is the fact they have low ratio boxes (and 4WD) enabling hill starts up to 1:5 (I think).

I wouldn't want to tow a 3500 kg trailer behind a landrover defender 90 at 60mph, although I know a lot of people do...
I have seen the fatal consequences when the above tried to brake too hard for a corner.

Dave.
illapulito

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to this subject.

This post information is based on my understanding, and I am not a techie, so please feel free to comment and correct as necessary.

I have been speaking to an importer of American caravans. They tend to be better equipped include extended side pods and therefore heavier.

The main issue, as I understand it, is the nose weight. Indication are that UK caravans are about 80kg whereas an American is closer to 300 kg

This is due to the caravan axles being more towards the rear.

Although the L400 is capable of towing the issue is more a legal one relating to the tow ball/tow bar. Apparently a European one is not sufficiently rated.

This suggests that a heavier duty tow bar/tow ball would get around this issue.

If so, where would such a non-standard tow bar/ tow ball addressing this question be made / obtained ?
illapulito

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the earlier more generic post

in my particular case

my Delica is not lifted, but has heavier duty springs with additional "mad suspension" helper spring inserts.

the shock absorbers are quite new too, Monroe Rancho.

this was done principally as i have an electric lift in the rear of the LWB L400, (bought used and taken from a transit)

so for good or bad my Delica kerb weight is approx 150kg heavier than standard
illapulito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this advice from UK Govt

Note: my series 1 LWB Delica L400 is M reg (1994)

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/trailer-and-towing-equipment

Towing bars

If you get a tow bar for your car, it needs to be ‘type approved’. This means it meets EU regulations and is designed for your car.

Type-approved tow bars have a label with:

an approval number
details of the vehicles it’s approved for
[b]
If your car was first used before 1 August 1998, your tow bar doesn’t need to be type-approve
d.
illapulito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

American import caravans

"Differences between American caravans and trailers, and European regulations"

UK Government site comment

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/american-caravans-and-trailers-brakes-and-couplings/american-caravans-and-trailers-brakes-and-couplings
illapulito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Width and length

The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres.

The maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. This length does not include the A-frame.

and

as seen in previous posts for consideration re Delicas

"Towing weight and width limits

Most cars have a maximum weight they can tow. It’s usually listed in the handbook or specification sheet.

Alternatively the vehicle’s ‘gross train weight’ may be listed on the vehicle identification number (VIN) plate on the car. This is normally under the bonnet or inside the driver’s door.

The gross train weight is the weight of the fully-loaded car plus fully-loaded trailer and must not be exceeded.
If your VIN plate doesn’t list a train weight, you should not use your vehicle for towing.
illapulito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

towing weight limit for oldies

UK driving Licences issued before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: