Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Antennas and Mounting Brackets for bull bars?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outdoor_Jo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 15:48    Post subject: Antennas and Mounting Brackets for bull bars? Reply with quote

Hello campers  :D

Well here we go, I'm at a bit of a loss, one of those things that's probably been staring me in the face and I've trawled over it a dozen times without seeing it but hey, it happens  :?

For all the usual reasons, I'm looking to mount a number of antenna's low down, bull-bar / bumper level and I remember a while ago seeing some white semi rigid antennas that were similar to the CB style firestick but these were smooth, without the coils showing if you like, and quite tapered. I saw them mounted as a pair on a 'Big Rig' truck and have since seen them occasionally mounted on 4x4's and larger vans or on lorry wing mirrors etc. Does anyone know what they are called and where they could be purchased?

Ideally I'd like one each for 2m, 4m, 6m, and 10 / 11m but at the moment I can't even find an 11m version ... I seem to remember they were called the 'White Stick' or something similar but that throws up nothing even similar in G search.  I know, my memory stinks  :?   Any ideas? ... Oh the reason I'm going for rigid is because I very nearly had a very expensive 'incident' with a low mounted whip antenna a few years back  Shocked  

Also, Bull-Bar mounts / brackets for antennas etc. anyone know where I can get some that don't involve a phone call to the bank to ensure they have enough cash in before withdrawal? I found a couple on ebay but seriously, there's a huge typo!! Double figures for a simple mount? methinks not!! If it's not a typo then it's seriously extracting the Michael, especially when you see the build quality :? anything over £7.00 for a simple bolt through mount with no more fittings than an empty hole is a joke IMHO

Sorry, I'm ranting but it grips my guts a bit. People seem to think that just because it's a hobby people have got money to pour down the drain for it. Damned radios and antennas cost enough without people starting to charge stupid money for a simple set of mounts.  Rolling Eyes  ... okay, rant over .........  Wink

I'm also thinking of making some kind of bracket that will hold a more substantial mast for portable dx / incident vehicle type operation and thought rather than try to reinvent the wheel, have an ask on here first to see if anyone has seen anything that works already on the market?

With that, hope everyone is enjoying the weekend and managing to get muddy Smile

All the best

Jo
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 15:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

davep10000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these very substantial anodised ally bulbar mounts for spotlights - around £10 a pair from CPC with free post.
Worth a look.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=ST01791

Dave.
Outdoor_Jo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

davep10000 wrote:
I use these very substantial anodised ally bulbar mounts for spotlights - around £10 a pair from CPC with free post.
Worth a look.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=ST01791

Dave.

Thanks for that one Dave.

So very close, and the price is right too but it's hard to tell from the pics if you'd get an antenna mount under the bracket without squishing it into the bull bar. This is why the offset ones work so well for both lights and antennas as whatever protrudes through can be as long as it likes if you get my drift? ...

With antennas you have the mount and the Plug / socket for the coax etc. that needs to fit under there which is a shame because as you say, for the price they look very rugged. If I decide to mount some more lights I will certainly give them a go so thanks  Smile

Jo
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are a very nice bracket, with the addition of some ally barstock you could have an excellent mount. I currently use a mirror mount bodged on to a pair of exhaust clamps. Its ugly but works, the washers packing it out to square it up are all going rusty etc.

I picked up some offset mounts recently I was going to try instead. I might take a pic in a mo'.

I think the antenna you are thinking of is the Shakespeare Army Stick.
Outdoor_Jo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Jimbo (see what I did there?)  Wink

Thanks for that, it's funny, just after my last post I went back for another look at those mounts with thoughts of adaptations in my head.  Laughing

Sadly not the Shakespeare Army ... I have one of those mouldering in the back yard. I must actually get around to doing something with it but its absolutely huge 20ft / 24ft?  Shocked not sure how easy it would be to knock into a general coverage HF base antenna, should be possible ... anyway, I digress. What I'm searching for is very much like the Shakespeare big stick but viewed through the wrong end of a telescope Smile They are about 3 maybe 4ft tall at most but yes covered in white plastic / polymer or whatever. .... oh and white is optional, I only mention it because I've only ever seen them in white. I'll take them in polka dot sky blue if that's all there is Smile

I'd be interested to see said mounts, especially if the price was right Smile
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outdoor_Jo wrote:
Yo Jimbo (see what I did there?)  Wink

Hey Jo, actually you see what I did there lol

I thought there was a mobile antenna called the Lite or something which was shorter etc, I dunno.

For mobile 'base' station work I would get or fabricate something like this, once erected you could anchor off a roof bar too:

http://big-marts-brackets.yolasite.com/tilt-drive-on-mobile-ham-radio-antenna-base-mount.php

These are the mounts I was on about:

Outdoor_Jo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo

There you go, just takes a bit of imagination and hey presto, there's a solution  :D

While this discussion has been ongoing I suddenly remembered that in a box at the back of the shack I have a number of 'Boot lip' and 'gutter mounts' that are bound to have 'conversion potential'  Wink ... I love the stuff on your mates site and have spent a good while drooling over all the nice shiny things on there but sadly its also one of those 'really annoying' sites :? .. sorry it's a pet hate of mine and yes I do understand about changing prices etc etc but if you're going to run a commercial website selling goods and or services then he needs to put some prices on there .. If each picture would of had a nice big easy to read price next to it, I'd probably have had one but I, along with 85% of the buying public, can't be arsed with all the twoing and frowing of emails / texts etc. ... price, buy it now button, PayPal link, job done. Smile

(Sorry but I used to teach internet marketing and although my comments seldom make me any friends, they do usually work (which is even more infuriating ;) ) and un-priced products are one of the biggest no no's in the book.)

Anyway, I'm at it again, procrastinating  Rolling Eyes I like what you've done with the mirror mount and the mast mount, very innovative, I need to relearn the whole 'thinking out of the box' thing, I've been laid up and out of the scene for way too long it seems! I will have a go and see what results  Shocked  

Thanks again, ...... watch this space  Laughing
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, its not my mates site, I don't know who it is, I just did a google for drive over mast bases.  The mast mount was an experiment, actually I'll be using it on my mondeo roof bars, but I wanted to try it out on the del bull bar to see what it offered.  It's not as tidy as the mirror mount in location as the mirror mount puts the antenna in the vehicle corner, where as that would slap it in the drivers direct view. The trouble is as the bars aren't vertical you have to shim it a lot etc. I might see if I can get stainless steel brackets and rebuild it in non rust, and if i measure the shim amount i have now maybe i can use some stainless nuts or washers to get it the distance set, its starting to look really ugly being rusty like that.  FWIW thats the mount for my 20m whip ;-) the 2m/70cm sits on the passenger mirror mount.
alex3025

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-) hi I'll try and find a site for all your needs very good prices as well can't remember of top of me head Iv not been on for a bit so just getting back into my Delica it's been locked away in a big shed ! Any way I'll get back when I find the place I get/ got my bits
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
alex3025

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right found it prices are not to bad

WWW.4X4CB.COM
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that you won't get a particularly good SWR using the bull-bar mount! Maybe okay for very local car to car stuff. If you are not going under low obstacles then a good quality mag mount in the middle of the roof is better Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Ham bands a good earth is needed bull bar is mounted to chassis of Delica so great place to mount anttenna I have a whip for 40m mounted on frount bull bar of my 300 and a 2/70 fitted to near side wing mirror arm  8-)
Outdoor_Jo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
Sorry for the long break, shortly after starting this thread I was taken quite badly ill and it's been a bit of an uphill struggle Sad

Anyway, we're back, and having just caught up with this one, Thanks to all for all the good advice, I hope to get the radios fitted back in the truck soon but want to fit a decent leisure battery first, I've decided that the poor battery under the bonnet doesn't deserve all that punishment and besides, it isn't really designed to run radios the way I intend to run them.

So, I bet there's a thread on here somewhere about 'best leisure batteries for the Delica?

Thanks to Alex for the link, Good one!! .... I have recently found an ebay company that does lots and lots of STUFF! ... you know, proper man cave tools, connectors, straps, winches etc at really good prices . I will go dig it out asap and share Smile

Cheers all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: