4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Towing an auto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roofer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 16:58    Post subject: Towing an auto Reply with quote

Well I've won a L400 on the bay of pigs and need to pick it up at the weekend :D ...Now the old girl is a none runner and my question is will i be okay to tow it back 150 miles with a A frame towing dolly with all 4 wheels on the ground..Its a 94 auto and ime worried about the rumours of gearbox damage towing an auto..All help appreciated guys.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 16:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

noirenex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not advisable for long distances unless you make a couple changes:

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41482

Hope that helps!

Starter motor failure! - 2013-07-20
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would almost definitely be illegal to tow the Delica on an aframe, or at all for that matter (it's too heavy).

If you're willing to run the risk then you need to put it in 2WD (not sure how you'll manage this in a non runner since driving is what engages the selector) and disconnect the rear prop shaft.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, it only cost me £130 to get one recovered on a flat bed across half the UK when I bought the second one, that was only marginally more expensive than the diesel to get there and back.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
roofer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the pointers chaps...most helpfull
v8 rick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've towed scores of broken Deli`s and an a frame sometimes up to 200 mls my a frame is rated at 3.5 tonne if its auto you must remove the rear prop and tie the end up securely and make sure the transfer lever is set in 2h  Wink .

rick.
roofer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 rick wrote:
I've towed scores of broken Deli`s and an a frame sometimes up to 200 mls my a frame is rated at 3.5 tonne if its auto you must remove the rear prop and tie the end up securely and make sure the transfer lever is set in 2h  Wink .

rick.

Whats the fixings please Rick...torx/cap or bolts. Will be getting towed with a TD5
Terratology

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 rick wrote:

rick.

The a frame could be rated at 10 tonne but it wouldn't matter, it's the un braked train weight that will get you done if stopped......anything over 750kg needs to be braked.

I'd risk it, but take it steady cos if you have a accident you WILL be in the shit!
v8 rick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terratology wrote:
v8 rick wrote:

rick.

The a frame could be rated at 10 tonne but it wouldn't matter, it's the un braked train weight that will get you done if stopped......anything over 750kg needs to be braked.

I'd risk it, but take it steady cos if you have a accident you WILL be in the *beep*!

I'm not that dumb as i don't know that , I've never had a problem as yet and will carry on until i do this is just another example of the eu shoving their snotty beaks into the laws of this country  Evil or Very Mad up until a short time ago lots of people used them including the AA and RAC , i personally have used one for the last 30yrs without issue , trouble is when a halfwit gets their hands on them  Rolling Eyes .

rick.
v8 rick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

roofer wrote:
v8 rick wrote:

rick.

Whats the fixings please Rick...torx/cap or bolts. Will be getting towed with a TD5

bog standard nuts and bolts some are 12mm - 14mm and some are 14mm - 17mm and they can be damn tight  Laughing .

rick.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 rick wrote:

rick.

Don't I know it.  Laughing

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
roofer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 rick wrote:
roofer wrote:
v8 rick wrote:

rick.

bog standard nuts and bolts some are 12mm - 14mm and some are 14mm - 17mm and they can be damn tight  Laughing .

rick.

cheers bud Wink
roofer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 years ago it would of been towed with the wifes clothes line  Laughing ....stick that up the Brussels pipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: