4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

4x4 wheel alignment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:42    Post subject: 4x4 wheel alignment Reply with quote

Having had some new wheels, wheel bearings fitted over the last few months and trackrod ends after my successful MOT this Tuesday I decided to get my wheel alignment checked at the same place that did my last one in April 2008.  I was happy to note that the garage had upgraded its system to a newer 3D camera system.

Small cameras' in the end of the beam arms, surrounded by LEDs, collect the reflected laser beams from the attachments on each wheel.

It instantly showed that my wheels camber and toe-in had dropped a fair bit out of true  :? :-

The numbers in green at the top of each arc show the manufacturers 'Dream setting' with the blue figures to either side being the minimum and maximum tolerances. Caster is shown at the top, then Camber and finally Toe-in at the bottom. The mechanic described obtaining the manufactures 'Dream settings' as trying to get into 'la-La land'.   Laughing :D

The system is so sensitive the rear wheels have to be 'chocked' front and rear on the ramp to stop any movement of the Deli going back and forth, as the wishbone cams are moved around and the nuts done up.

The 3D visualiser made the adjusting of the front and rear cams on the lower wishbone and trackrod ends far quicker, with less readjusting to be done than the last time and the screen graphics are quite informative.

A final readout is from the screen is converted into a colour printout, with red showing bad and green being good.  :D

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Wed May 02, 2018 10:57; edited 3 times in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Duracell Bunnys Mrs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis

Where did you take it and how much did it cost?

Kim
x
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin Motors, 47 Scar Lane, Milnesbridge, Huddersfield. HD3 4QH

Tel: 01484 644810

£45 + Vat (£52.88)

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
swizZer
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Stacksteads (near Bacup), Lancashire (where the sun never shines and the rain always rains)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIKES! everythings going 3D!
YOZA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like formula 1 stuff, I have to remind myself that we are driving 15 year old tractors. Smile
John64
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer i must get mine done soon as well, now that i have my 'Yoza Tyres' on.  Wink
                  "CELER ET AUDAX"
tubbiescooter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

John64 wrote:
Yer i must get mine done soon as well, now that i have my 'Yoza Tyres' on.  Wink

mine needs doing too john see if we can get a discount if a few of us book in on the same day
robaurdu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks super techy, but what are the actual figures that we could take to a local tyre place, to get the wheel alignment correct. My local tyre place are really good, cheap, and won't rip me off. They checked the tracking a few months ago, and said all was within tolerance, and didn't charge me. However, the front offside tyre is worn on the inside . Not sure if this is alignment, or due to general driving. I know the tyre does loose pressure, but I check it every couple of days.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your local Tyre place has a full 4x4 lazer alignment set up forget it.

You have to have the full suspension aligned. Altering the toe-in on one wheel will affect the camber, caster and toe-in of both sides. Bit by bit they alter the front and rear lower wishbone settings and the trackrods, until the whole system is correctly, or as near as dammit, adjusted  Wink

ルイス
hotchpotch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

robaurdu wrote:
That looks super techy, but what are the actual figures that we could take to a local tyre place, to get the wheel alignment correct. My local tyre place are really good, cheap, and won't rip me off. They checked the tracking a few months ago, and said all was within tolerance, and didn't charge me. However, the front offside tyre is worn on the inside . Not sure if this is alignment, or due to general driving. I know the tyre does loose pressure, but I check it every couple of days.

If you're wearing the edge of one front tyre, its probably a wishbone bush that's cream crackered. In this case I'd say it's probably the front bush on the lower offside wishbone.

Cheers

Peter

From the Latin, meaning 'Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future.'

Or, in today's language 'Do all the things you love today, because you may not be here tomor$&£@>>>.....  ...
robaurdu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Peter, will have a look in the week
freddread123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 23:47    Post subject: 4x4 Reply with quote

Hi lewis " you never mentioned what difference it made to the handling / etc " cheers
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night and Day.  It was obvious as soon as I started driving out of the garage.  Laughing

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: