2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Delica Star Wagon oil leak - help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arpy1969

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:34    Post subject: Delica Star Wagon oil leak - help please Reply with quote

Have just been crawling underneath my new Delica to find out where the oil spots on the drive have been coming from.

Still waiting for my workshop manual that I ordered from the uk site to come through but I identified most things I think and the leak seems to be coming from the main sump gasket.

There is lots of oil all aound it and I can see where it has gone onto the drive shaft and been thrown around, but where the freshest oil is suggests it is coming from the main sump. Have been checking the oil fairly regularly since I got it (3 weeks ago) but haven't had to put any in. Lots of spots on the drive, but a little oil goes a long way.

Anyway, my question is, can I get a new gasket and just drop the bottom off of the sump and refit (after draining the oil of course!). Looks fairly straightforward but doesn't mean it is. Or could it just need the bolts nipping up a bit?

Cheers for any help

Rick Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick and welcome to the club :D

Quote:
Still waiting for my workshop manual that I ordered from the uk site to come through but I identified most things I think and the leak seems to be coming from the main sump gasket

Rick the only "workshop " manual available for the L300 tha is in my opinion worth buying is the Russek L300 manual that is Only available through this club :D ,it is a very in depth manual and is reproduced from the japanese equivelent,so if u have purchased one of these manual from elsewhere then it would have originated here as we have an exclusive deal with russek manuals our version is available here http://www.pocuk.com/eshop/shop.html other sites :? may well be selling manuals but the majority are just basic owners manuals "dressed" up to sound like comprehensive workshop manuals.

As for the leak,the 4D56 2.5turbo unit is prone to a leak on the rear of the sump gasket a little half moon gasket fails and causes a leak,now with the pajeros its easier to view but the L300 is a bit more hidden and could give the impression it is leaking from elsewhere,as the oil does run down the back of the engine and tends to cover everything below it,so it may well be worth you while de greasing the whole engine then watching to see if the oil appears low or high when it starts to leak again,it may well just save you tearing the sump off,I'm not sure of the procedure to remove the sump as i own an L400 but I'm sure some of the lads here could help,if its the same procedure as the pajero i can look it up in the paj russek manual i have left over from my pajero days :D and maybe give u an outline of how its done as I'm sure it would be slightly diffrent with the Delica ,hope this helps all the best

Marc 8)

andyc

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc - are you referring to the half moon gasket on the rear of the head?
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyc wrote:
Marc - are you referring to the half moon gasket on the rear of the head?

Yes andy the half moon gasket that causes so many problems with oil leaks on the rocker cover gasket its quite a regular occurence on the 4D56 engines (well pajs anyhoo)

Marc 8)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: