Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

which hard drive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:37    Post subject: which hard drive? Reply with quote

Hi, I bought my son an Acer AG5900 predator gaming desktop last year and he needs an additional hard drive for it now.  I'm not sure whether to get an internal one or an external one, or which one in general to be honest!  Can anyone help with any suggestions please? (need it for his birthday on Friday)  :?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internal will probably be faster than external and an SSD (solid state drive) one will be fastest but you'll need to make sure there are SATA ports available inside to plug it into.
Lawe
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just for back up incase of failure? If so then buy external - You could then back up any other computers files this way.

If not then you could have a look at these: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---SSD

These are super fast hard drives with no moving parts. The down side is that storage space is small compared to standard hard drives and of course price.
However it would "turbo" the pc in question so you could put Window's or Linux operating system on the SSD and then all other files on the original hard drive.

The other simpler option is to buy a large storage hard drive eg 1TB of storage is around £65 - £70 while 3TB hard drive is around £115 - £125. Some samples: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---Internal

In my PC I have 1 x 500gb HD and 2 x 1TB hard drive of which the 500gb is used as a shared Hard drive with various files that can be used around the home the others are used for normal operation and storage.

Ideally I would like one SD Hard drive followed by 1 x 3TB hard drive but that will have to wait... got to buy some bits for the Deli!
delart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies.  My son has lots and lots of games on the pc  Rolling Eyes  and has used a lot of the space on the original hard drive, this is why I need to get another one.
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is the same, you probably want to avoid SSD drives then as they are smaller, just get him a big external usb drive
Lawe
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then 3TB Hard drive!
delart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lawe, sorry to sound so thick  Embarassed but how can I tell if the ones on your links will be okay for my pc?
Lawe
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

theFleured wrote:
My son is the same, you probably want to avoid SSD drives then as they are smaller, just get him a big external usb drive

I gave my son, who is 9, my old laptop as I now have a Android Tablet and so far so good! Thankfully he prefers web based games and interaction like Club Penguin. When he starts asking for Call of Duty on the PC and he is old enough, I know I'm in trouble!
delart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

too right Lawe, it never stops then  :D
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming its this one : link

Any USB 2.0 external drive will work.

I did notice it also has slots in the front for hard drives but I didn't see what type it requires and don't know if both those slots are already taken as this might be a better option.
Lawe
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

delart wrote:
Hi Lawe, sorry to sound so thick  Embarassed but how can I tell if the ones on your links will be okay for my pc?

Not thick at all, it is a minefield out there!
This link: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---Internal
This will take you to "normal" internal hard drives. Also buy a SATA cable as well to link the data connection from the hard drive to the motherboard. There should be a spare SATA power socket coming from the power supply unit. Easy to check, open the side and have a look for spare connectors:

Look for the SATA connector shown in the picture. If it's not attached to anything and can reach the hard drive area, it's yours!
delart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your help with this guys, you're right, it is a minefield and need to sort it by Friday (son's birthday).  Found this external one, what do you think ?

http://www.microsdcardsonline.co.uk/?gclid=CNad8eXtw7ECFSsntAodb3wAsA#!__2tb-external-hard-drive  (hope link works)
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its external it won't be best for running games from. Copies of stuff yes, but not for installing to.
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yojimbo wrote:
If its external it won't be best for running games from. Copies of stuff yes, but not for installing to.

This is true (especially from a usb 2 drive). However my son plays games from his without any real problem, the only issue he ever comes up against is space.

I'm still recommending an external usb drive, largely because it will be the easiest for you to fit and replace if he needs more space.
delart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link didn't work Embarassed It is a 2TB Hitachi NESO external ?
delart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I got this hard for my son in august not sure how it happened but the case has come open Rolling Eyes and to my surprise there is two bolts two nuts and what looks like a usb inside Shocked ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: