Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Batteries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pajeropah
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 21:00    Post subject: Batteries? Reply with quote

Anyone know what the minimum Amp/hour should be for the single Deli battery? If its lower than it should be wil it cause any problems?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 21:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Info for suitable replacements is here............

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30

If you get anything smaller the main problem you will have is starting in the winter.
You could also have problems from overcurrent charging from the alternator from the mismatch between the alternator the battery load and problems running various combinations of onboard goodies (again more so in the winter).

Why would you want something smaller than required/standard Question
HSTDoctor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only help out with L300 specs, which are;

Single battery: AH (5 hr) = 64, Reserve capacity = 159, Cold Cranking Current = 622

Dual Battery: AH (5 hr) = 55, Reserve Capacity = 133, Cold Cranking Current = 582

If you have a battery with a lower amp hour spec. you will discharge the battery in a shorter time if you use accessories when the engine isn't running.

I suspect that a smaller AH battery will also have a lower cranking current,one problem will be caused by the fact that the more discharged a battery gets, the higher the current you can draw from it. So trying to start with a discahrged battery can reduce starter motor life, as the moter draws more than its designed operating current.
Pajeropah
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked was because I have heard that the amp/hour rate should be around 90 and the one the dealer put in was 75 A/Hr. Would 75 A/hr give me problems starting? Didn't appear to have any problems last winter although I did end up changing the glow plugs cos I was pre heating 3 to 4 times before it was starting and as I stated elsewhere on the forum I'm having to pre heat 2 to 3 times with the temperature at around 12 ºC, this has just started to happen.
HSTDoctor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajeropah wrote:
The reason I asked was because I have heard that the amp/hour rate should be around 90 and the one the dealer put in was 75 A/Hr. Would 75 A/hr give me problems starting? Didn't appear to have any problems last winter although I did end up changing the glow plugs cos I was pre heating 3 to 4 times before it was starting and as I stated elsewhere on the forum I'm having to pre heat 2 to 3 times with the temperature at around 12 ºC, this has just started to happen.

Having to preheat several times sounds more like a glow plug problem than a battery one, if the battery will crank the engine properly, it will certainly supply enough current to heat the GP's.

EDIT: Duff info removed, shouldn't post half asleep after nights Crying or Very sad I knew what I wanted to say, but somehow couldn't convey this via the keyboard.......
Jimbob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 13:27    Post subject: Batteries Reply with quote

Sorry Doctor - not quite correct!
Embarassed

Idea The AH or more correctly the AHC (ampere hour capacity) of a battery is its total useable energy. A 90 AH battery when fully charged will supply 90 amps for 1 hour or 1 amp for 90 hours or any combination of amps and hours that multiply up to 90.

Bear in mind the usual safe charge/discharge rate is about 8 hours so for a 90 AHC battery = 90(AHC)/8(hours) = 11(and a bit amps) so the safe charge rate is 11 amps. This is exceeded during starting though hopefully for a very short period.

:? The cold cranking rate (CCR) is the amperage a fully charged battery will supply for 30 seconds at 0 degrees Centigrade (the battery would then be fully discharged [flat] though cells would still give a reading of surface voltage of about 1.7 volts but wouldn't accept any appreciable load - just enough to make the ignition lights glimmer)

A useful link may be http://www.absolutebattery.com/faq.htm

Jimbob

Ginja Nutz link indicates that 90 AHC is the correct capacity. Exclamation
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handbook states 75 or 90 amps battery for 2.8 diesel - doesn't specify CCA
numptys numnuts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is fitted with a 75 Amp battery and has been since we bought it. Starts first time everytime weather or temp irrelevant and that will be nearly 2 years come October. Was thinking of upgrading it but never got round to it. Am I tempting fate probably but then again if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Only time it gave us problems is when the fuel seals went then starting became somewhat of a struggle and would take 4 or 5 attempts to fire.

KD-PE8W-HSEXF 2 H81E
(It's a Beast from the East)
Rolled off Production 03/02/95
Pajeropah
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies, put my mind at rest with the 75 A/hr battery, thanks Numpty!!
Looks like I'm back to a glow plug problem Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: