4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Time for a new PC..Your advice please..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
primate1970
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 21:03    Post subject: Time for a new PC..Your advice please.. Reply with quote

My desk-top finally bit the dust last week.. (using My EeePC note book for now.. Rolling Eyes ) the hard drive started failing a few weeks ago but I muddled through and rescued any files I could find and cleaned everything up and all seemed okay...Last week the pc just froze then a warning flashed up and it went dead..???

I think the hard drive is not spinning and also the processor smells a little hot when I switch it on...?

So I am now looking to buy a new PC but don't know what to do for the best..?

Do I just buy a new tower and keep the old monitor (even though it's only a 17in HP lcd) or do I get a complete set up..??

Want to spend around £350-£450 (probably a few quid more if it's a mega bargain)

would like the following...
 TV tuner, (or room to put mine back in.?)
 Decent graphics card,
 Reasonable speed processor,
 DVD writer,
 HDMI output if possible..

Seen The following.... Tower only....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pavilion-p6-2035uk-Desktop-Processor-Graphics/dp/B005ZPDZ66/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1329594884&sr=1-3

And complete system something like this...... (not from this site but Comet have them in at £499 but with 500gig hdd)
http://uk.shopping.com/packard-bell-packard-bell-one-two-s-all-in-one-20-inch-touch-screen-pc-amd-athlon-ii-x2-e350-4gb-ram-500gb-hdd/info

So what would you do and whats the bestI can get with £400...?

Any advice guys..?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 21:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

John64
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It realy depends what you want to use it for. if its just every day use, Files Word PowerPoint saving files and photos etc etc then most Bargain PCs are right for that, if you wanna multimedia suite, ie editing videos etc then you will need a good set up, graphics and sound card processors the works. I really like the 2nd link you have put up, if i had the dosh i would grab that one. TV Tuners are getting boring now, they take up room and power, there are a lot of websites that just click and play, that might be an option to look at when you purchase. But thats just my opinion.  Wink

This is a decent one i think and a good price too

http://uk.shopping.com/hewlett-packard-hp-p6-2005uk-g620-desktop-pc-intel-pentium-g620-processor-4gb-ram-500gb-hard-drive-dvd-rw-windo/info#keyFeatures
                  "CELER ET AUDAX"
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try ebuyer.com

Or go the MAC route, tad pricey tho  Sad

Deker
primate1970
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did see some lovely MAC's but way to pricey for Me... Laughing

Also most new PC's come with Windows 7.... What are peoples views on it? is it as bad as Vista? I have been using XP Media centre for some time now...!
Diver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Windows 7 since it came out and love it. It's everything Vista SHOULD have been but wasn't. I find Macs way overpriced and deliberately hobbled by Apple's greed.
PC shops (like my local one WOC) will build a PC for you to your specifications and needs. Also means it's 'future-proofed' as you can change individual components over time to update it.
mordusy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would be best building your own and seems you from staffordshire u can get all the bits from overclockers nice and easy. they allso sell systems only if you don't want to build you own.
delart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi had to do the same a while back av forums helpful aria and cyberpower looked good.
primate1970
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did look at overclockers and saw this tower..
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-239-okay&tool=5

But by the time I added Windows 7 and a graphics card it worked out more than something like this one from currys...?
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-p6-2002uk-desktop-pc-11875741-pdt.html

It drives me mad with all the different ones out there and don't know what to get?? Might just set up My old ZX81..... Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
mordusy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

the computer from currys i think has onboard gfx card where the one  from clockers is addon card and the one from currys comes pre installed with windows 7 where the one from clockers comes as a disk.

this 1 is cheaper and slightly faster.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-265-okay&groupid=43&catid=2038&subcat=
motorang

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
having a similar issue I built my own PC. Every local computer store should be able to, and also to ask the right questions.

My questions were:

operating system compatibility: I chose the hardware so I can Windows 7 (apparently) but still also run XP (XP drivers available for all hardware components!)
external cards compatibility: if you have older components to reuse (in my case: external slide scanner with its SCSI PCI card) you need a mainboard that still can run older PCI cards
external connections (TV; another monitor is generally possible, but graphic cards come with various ports ...)
speed (especially when you use it for games as well) -> RAM, CPU, graphics
graphics standard (if you have an old graphics card you want to keep as a backup, check for mainboard compatibility. AGP is dead. Onboard graphics is fine if you are not into gaming or using three monitors)
data transfer (USB3 and e-SATA come with many, but not with all systems). Maybe you also need Firewire for a camera system?
power consumption: I bought a SSD (solid state disk) for my OS to have low noise and low temperature on the system)
noise/heat: look into the components, especially power unit and graphics card and CPU cooler, for silent and/or passively cooled solutions

I spent 350 Euro, re-used SCSI and some other cards, can run XP or 7, can connect all kinds of external hard drives fast ... you can do it. Did not find any readily set up system that could cope with my requirements.

Personally, I would always buy a desktop/workstation PC as you can change/update components as you go along.
And a tablet for mobile use. I own a notebook, but it is very rarely used. If you do not need it for business or have several homes, I think one can do without.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: