4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Towbar capacity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer Lawtey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 20:56    Post subject: Towbar capacity Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is there anything definative anywhere for what the L400 is capable of towing please? Also, does anyone know where I can get a tow bar with a rating of over 2700kg please?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 20:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

albideli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Deli towbars is that none have type approval, so theres no plate on them to give you any specifications, The best I've seen are the A1 towbars, very well made and fit to the chassis really well. Some of the others are only 40 or 50mm box, What are you wanting to tow at that weight?
Homer Lawtey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to tow that much, however my understanding is that any tow vehicle and tow bar rating must exceed the maximum gross trailer weight of the trailer you're towing. We have a car trailer which has a max gross weight of 2700kg, but with an unladen weight of 588kg and a car weighing in at 1400kg we'll only be pulling 2000kg. That's slightly over the 80% rule, but that's only a guideline!

vulpyfox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsure of the make of mine but I recently removed it for a clean up and repaint its built like a brick S**T house. heavy grade metal and fits to the rear frame x3 bolts per side [6 total]
Munfred
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer that I tow is quite a bit heavier than that but the saxo is lighter than the 3000.
Not a problem. Powerwise, braking, uphill down hill. No problem. Not sure what my towbar is though. All I know is it sticks out of the back A lot......
Homer Lawtey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up buying an A1 Towing kit from just-tow.co.uk. Total price for the towbar kit, tow ball, single electrics, PVC ball/electric covers, back plate and shipping came in at £125. I compared it to my mate's Isuzu Trooper bar which is plated for 3500kg, and it's almost identical, if not a bit heavier duty. Mechanically it fitted up easy, probably took about 45 minutes in total (including fitting the chassis plates on the wrong sides and then having to remove them to swap them over  Embarassed ). Electrically it took a bit longer, mainly because I'd read a list on here of wire colours, so spent ages trying to feed a wire down the rear pillar so that I could connect to the reverse light wire (which isn't actually used in 12N electrics  Rolling Eyes ). It also added time to the wiring cutting, soldering and heat-shrinking the connections, rather than trusting the IDC connectors supplied (pet hate of mine those snap together connectors).

Downsides;

No plated towing weight
Electric socket cover isn't very secure and will probably fall off on the first journey
Bar is supplied in black primer which scratches off in the postage box as the bits rub together
All bolts are shiney and come with no plastic half-dome covers

Upsides;

Very robust
Easy to fit
Clears everything
Good price
Fast delivery
albideli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you've bought the best of the kits out there, you won't find a plate though because as mentioned theres no type approval so it won't be rated, the bolts are zinc plated so shouldn't rust, I had mine powder coated before fitting and its really lasted well, but the primer isn't too good so you'll need to get some paint on it or it'll rust bigtime over winter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: