Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

EGR Blanking Plate, Yes or No?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomPaine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39    Post subject: EGR Blanking Plate, Yes or No? Reply with quote

Post moved to EGR secton. Moderator

I know there's acres of stuff here on the EGR blanking plate.  I've read it and have a general impression it would be a good thing, but I still don't really know if I should or shouldn't.  Perhaps, if you'll be patient with me, if I describe my situation, then you can offer a view.

I have a 1996 Delica Chamonix in great condition with 125,000 on it.  It drives beautifully and the engine seems very even and confident.  Apart from the aircon not working (and after 'airing' the issue here, I've decided not to do anything about it) and an occasional reluctance on the part of the overdrive, all seems well (for now).  The MOT will be coming up next October, and I've noticed the engine gives a puff of whitish smoke on morning start-up, and a less obvious puff when re-starting.  I am a little concerned that this may be an MOT issue, perhaps someone could comment on that.  

Obviously the puff of smoke isn't right, but there are no other signs of nastiness right now, so my only real concern is the emmissions issue at the next MOT and the antisocial nature of the start-up smoke.  From what I can tell, reading the posts, fitting the blanking plate might help with smokiness.  But everything's running fine - so what real solid benefit would I get from fitting it?  ...and what, if any, are the risks in doing so?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

chopper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few risks infact I don’t know of any negatives to hand other than it’s less standard or if you fancy taking a trip to Japan  

The positives are

Better mpg
Better power
Less stress on engine
Cleaner emissions with less co2 and less hydrocarbons (I might be wrong here)
Cleaner engine, turbo and intercoolers as there is less soot and oil being reticulated around the system

In my case I got an extra 200k out of a full tank after the blank and good service I also remove the unit 100% and this is a weight saving small but every little helps
James22sniper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it aint broke... don't fix it!

On the other hand... you could simply pull the vacuum hose off the egr and block the end of the hose temporarily to see if it makes any difference. Mine is currently in that state after some nasty smoke and knocking last year. Runs superbly now tho! One day i will get round to doing a proper blanking job.
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have blanked off my EGR and ran for 12 months or so.

Then I cleaned it and made it operate smoothly, and put it back on.(been on 10 months)

The conclusion.....I can't tell the difference either way, but I believe it is there for a reason, so if it is functioning leave it on, if it is faulty replace it, or blank it off.
TomPaine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for those considered responses.  Does anyone have an opinion on the emissions bit of the MOT?
monkeh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with EGR is that it operates at idle and low revs, When my works L400 went faulty with the egr, it would idle like a bag of crap, and would try to die on any load. Coupled with this, the Deli sounded like a Transit DI engine and filled the road with black smoke. If you get a puff of smoke as you start it, as long as its not blue, you should be fine! MOT on a diesel is measured by smoke density by revving it, whilst stationary, If you have a doubt about emissions, Ask the tester if you can get it straight onto the ramps to be tested after giving it the 'Italian tuneup' down the bypass at 4-5000rpm most of the way there.
jay.g

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine puffs every time from cold and passed an MOT every time, Black smoke when i floor it hard towing the caravan Embarassed
chopper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ monkeh

very good
TomPaine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, big thanks to all contributors.
Ronnie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blanked mine after my EGR went bad with dramatic results  - it looked  a bit like this:

Can't say I saw much difference in performance or MPG - but the idea of feeding hot air into my engine intake seems like a silly idea purely on engineering principle.

I still get a puff of white smoke on start up, some days are worse than others.
albideli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just pull the vacuum pipe off and blank that but if the EGR valve is soote up and slightly stuck open you won't know if its making any difference, its one of those jobs that very easy to reverse and so very simple to do so why not try and see what happens.
supersaints
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

the puff of smoke on start up could be a dodgy glow plug or two
ST Helens
sspeedguy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have seen the amount of thick black oily crud I cleaned out of my L300's intake system when I removed my egr system!
I took the inlet manifold and all the turbo piping off and spent quite a while at the parts washer cleaning it all out!
It does run a lot better without it now, (It stands to reason that it should do).
Samninetysix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine off completely - got the kit from fleabay for under a tenner, remove egr, use blanking plates and block off pipey thing - worked a treat
Samninetysix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

or is that meant to be an extra 200km out of a full tank? - be a bloody big difference if it was Smile
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I read that as meaning 200 'Kilometres'.  :D

Which is a heck of a lot more than I got after cleaning & refurbishing mine!  :?

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
albideli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gathered a lot of info from people who have removed theirs from not just the Delica but all 4m40's and 4d56's, and it's got to be over 85% that have a notable difference compared to cleaning the egr. They seem to get all or at least one of  smoother running, better mpg, better accelaration or less smoke. But it's down to the individual engine and how its driven which benefits you get, though I'd love to get another 200 km's out of a tank of diesel  8-)
sspeedguy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I got all 3 of those benefits when I took mine off. :D
Its smoother, feels more lively, and the fuel guage goes down a little slower, (Slower as in: I can actually follow it with my eyes now its not such a downwards blurr lol Wink )
BUT.  I have been putting in SVO (rape seed) on a 75ish% svo 25ish% diesel mix with a dash of unleaded and that always leads to smoother running.
chopper

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you getting your hands on the SVO sspeedguy its dearer than diesel over here these days yet alone rape seed oil that shits like 3€ a litter over here in Ireland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: