2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

towing weights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iow now in aus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:40    Post subject: towing weights Reply with quote

seen you guys in UK towing some pretty large caravans , what weight limit do your towbars have Question & what is the approx weight of these vans Wink

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dave2400
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi  cooper64  i don't  tow  a van  but  i do  tow  a boat  and  a two axel  box  trylor  the  boat  and  taylor  go  about  1.1/2 tone  and  i have  had  a compleet  dubball  secsonale  garage  in  the  box  trylor  with  my   2.8 caminx   with   no  problems   don't  know  what  the  v6  will  handale   haven't   got  rond  to  fitting  a tow bar  yet  a.t.b  dave
chrisreah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big twin axle caravan typically wekings about 1500kg. Some of the big german caravans can get close to 2000kg

From a towing ability standpoint the Delica should be able to handle some pretty massive weights. Well beyond anything you would want to tow.

I seem to recall the mitsubishi towing limit for a braked trailer being something like 3300kg (can look it up if you need)

The caravan club recommends a maximum of 80% (or it might be 85%) of the towing vehicles weight. With a Delica weighing in at over 2000kg that comfortably give you 1600kg (and thats just advice).

Haven't got a clue about the rules over there (licenses or towing limits) - but in the UK anyone who took their test over the past 12 or so years is limited to a total weight (car and trailer) of 3500kg. Which leaves surprisingly little after the kids and some luggage are in the Delica.

Don't forget to check you insurance covers you as well - in the UK caravans are supposed to be insured (i think)
ACE DELI
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Wherever our canal narrow boat takes us...at 3MPH max.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My experience is purely for the UK as I have no idea what the rules are in Aus.   Thanks for posting one of my pictures, it was taken a few years ago but we still have the same van and the same Deli (albeit with a new engine).  Our van is the largest/heaviest you can get on a single axle, about 1700Kg though I haven't weighed it with all the kit in it Rolling Eyes   This is within the 85% that the caravan club advise as the maximum for towing, exceed this and you run the risk of the 'tail wagging the dog ' syndrome. BTW I passed my test before 1997 so the 3500 kg combination weight limit doesn't apply to me.

The Deli is a very capable towing vehicle but as the Japanese tend not to tow there are no stated figures for towing capacities for the Deli, as an aside we were in France last June and had stopped in a Mway services and two coachloads of Japanese tourists were amazed at seeing the Deli and were taking photos of it with the van on the back Laughing

Our towbar is a normal bar with twin electrics from Towsure on Ebay, it was painted to stop corrosion before fitting and seems to be okay after 5 years hard use.

HTH

Cheers

David
Jetpilot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing my jet ski is hardly noticeable. About half a ton.
Francis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow boat weighing best part of 2 tons on a trailer weighing half a ton, so total load about 2.5 tons, tows fine (but keep strictly to speed limits, plenty of space in front!).
spannerman
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have recently towed a  trailer with a three ton range rover on it no idea what trailer was other than it was more than capable for the job.
BV1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics in here, looking to tow a 3500lb trailer (1590k) with a SWB L400 2.8TD  wanted to see what others did. Have to say though, this:

ACE Deli wrote:

Thanks for posting one of my pictures, it was taken a few years ago but we still have the same van and the same Deli (albeit with a new engine).  Our van is the largest/heaviest you can get on a single axle, about 1700Kg though I haven't weighed it with all the kit in it Rolling Eyes  

does raise a few concerns. I'll read into that as bit, as extended towing reduces the life expectany of the 4M40's Smile

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: