Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

headlights for Europe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackiewoodley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:49    Post subject: headlights for Europe? Reply with quote

can anyone help, we are thinking of transfering our Deli to France but we will require lefthand drive headlights.
anyone got an idea of where we can buy them and how much?

not sure if it can be done?

thanks

jackie
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

what type of lights have you got?

If they are twin square type like mine
http://www.grannyspit.com/Delica/index.htm

they are reasonably standard - I have seen very similar sized/shaped lights on continental cars like the renault 11 and VWs from similar era amongst others.
http://www.pivot.net/~stuart/Renault/11ts.jpg
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~kaw5/Golf1_511.jpg

If they are the later wrap around type, you maybe able to "regress" to the older type?

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 15:47    Post subject: Re: headlights for Europe? Reply with quote

jackiewoodley wrote:

anyone got an idea of where we can buy them and how much?

Hi Jackie,

Firstly, as Pink Pig says, work out which style of light you have.  Do you have this style:

If you do, then I can't help, but Mr Pink's advice is pretty sound.  8)

However, if you this style:

then I think I can help!!  :D

The projector lamp (as BigPants says - 'wrap around') is the newer model of lamp and doesn't have any ridges on the lens (looks like a dome of glass) This lens creates a neat beam of light in a compact unit.

One of the advantages of the projector system is that you don't need a different lens for RHD & LHD cars. Inside the lamp is a metal plate with a beam deflector that sends your beam towards the kerb.

All you need to do is remove the lamps, carefully dismantle the BACK half of the lamp and literally 'flip' the metal plate around so it faces the other way - then reassemble the lamps.

I did this on my BMW (with projector lamps) when it was imported from Germany because the lamps were obviously facing the wrong way!!  :?

My girlfriends Barchetta (also an import and also with projector lamps) was also done by myself because, again, this had the beam pattern set for European roads (this particular car came from France)

Firslty I tried actually rotating the lenses, but this had no effect. Finally I saw the plate and it all made sense!! Ten minutes later, the lamps were fitted and it was UK road legal.

I'm afraid I can't offer any pitfalls/tips on stripping the Delica lamps because I've never taken them apart, but the principal should be the same as most projector lamps.

I've sketched out a very vague idea of what the plate should look like. The most important bit is the change in profile (the 'dip') along the top edge - it's this bit that gives the RHD lens set-up. It should look something like this:

When you've removed the plate, simply flip it so it looks like this:

Then put it back in.

You'll need to do this for both lamps.

I hope this helps - and means you don't have to spend AGES hunting for LHD lamps (that are actually the same as yours!)

Regards,

Bruce.

Last edited by Mystery Machine on Sat Jan 13, 2007 15:51; edited 1 time in total
jackiewoodley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:15    Post subject: Projector Lamps Reply with quote

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the information.

Our Deli has projector lamps and we will have ago in flipping the plates.

This is a great help.

The Deli is currently having a new engine fitted in the local French Garage!!

It is too good a vehicle to scrap!

Many Thanks

jackie
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile pop this into the tech faq i think,excellent info there chaps.

Alternativly you can always try and source the lamps in france as the L300 (van) was released over there so you may well be able to get the units there or a neighbour ie germany etc,i know some people here have sourced in that way,the threads should be here somewhere Wink

Marc 8)
(*BTW* what area of france you in?? my dads in area 51,nice place close to periers (coutance)anyway hope you get it sorted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: