4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Hesitation when accelerating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:18    Post subject: Hesitation when accelerating. Reply with quote

I have searched the forums but cannot find any mention of this problem.

When accelerating hard there is intermitent hesitation at higher revs, it is more noticable by the engine noise than anything else. I have only just bought my Deli and is was apparently serviced but I have not checked what make of filters have been used.
I have just fitted the EGR blanking plate but have only done about a mile so not realy tested it yet.

Any ideas?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matey
I read a similar thing to this on the australian Delica club and i believe it was down to the fuel filter,apparenly it were an aftermarket filter and at high rev range it wasn't allowing the fuel to flow through fast enough? so first port of call imho would be to change the fuel filter and check the air filter as well to ensure it isn't clogged up etc,let us know how it goes atb

Marc 8)

DMW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply.

I assume the best thing to do is just replace the fuel filter, is it better to go genuine? If non-gen is okay is the fuel filter the same as the 2.8 Pajero/Shogun?
I bet my local patern parts dealer has never heard of a Delica Rolling Eyes
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matey
If it were me personally id pop a genuine one on there at least that way you can be guaranteed of its internal filtering properties that were actually made for that engine,that said tho it may well be the same as the 2.8 pajjy one but i wouldn't like to say for definate,as i say best go to the main dealer with chassis number in hand and they can then give you the exact part you need,hth

Marc 8)

rikyuu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

I've noticed a similar thing, but not sure if it's since I replaced the fuel filter or not. When accelerating up a long hill or overtaking at 2500-3000 rpm the engine note changes and it loses a bit of power. It goes away if I ease off the throttle a bit. I stuck a filter on from Milners just after I got it.
DMW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the same thing, I ordered a Mitsi fuel filter today so I will keep u posted.
TAZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am having a similar problem and just had a new filter fitted as well as full service.
i was told it may be a sticky injector as it hesitates somtimes or stutters loses power then goes okay for a bit? i had the fuel pump seals done under warrentee a while back so i know its not them, fitted the egr plate now I'm stumped and it's very annoying as it jumps up and down gears when it stutters. any ideas?
deandownunder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hesitation under load which occured straight after a fuel filter change. The brand I had the trouble with was Delco and was a blue colour. The brand that works for me is called Ryco. Are these brands available in the UK? It's a pretty small world so it wouldn't surprise me.
I shouldn't imagine that there would be a great number of fuel filter manufacturers for these vehicles. Stick with OEM until you find one that works. Cheers, Dean.
DMW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the genuine fuel filter made no difference.

I'm wondering if its more an electrical prob than fuel but its so hard to describe in text. It's almost like the engine cuts out for a fraction of a second, last night we sat with the beast ticking over for about 15mins and as we pulled away it did it again.

Any more ideas?

Thanks in advance. :D
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing i can think it would be is either the TPS throttle position sensor,the sensor does just that it senses the postion of the throttle on the injection pump and sends the relevent signals to the computer telling it what gear to be in etc etc ,
the only thing is it can give rise to erratic gear changes as well as the ecu is confused from the signals it is recieving so unless that happens also then id be suprised if it were,the best thing to do at first imho is to go to the injection pump and carefully remove the electrical connections and ensure they are clean and making good contact,then replace them and gove them a good liberal spraying of WD40 or similar,repeat for all other electrical connections in the vicinity.
I would still lean towards a fuel supply problem along the route somewhere,or maybe a partially blocked injector ,there is also a possibility that there is a small filter in the banjo union where the fuel pipe enters the pump, this was the case with the mits 2.5 engines and pumps but not sure if the same on the 2.8s worth looking at tho maybe,also if you go to mits and ask them to bung it on there MUTT tester to read any possible fault codes they can at least tell you then if it is throwing a coded fault up or if it is indeed a fuel type problem(the TPS and others will show fault codes on the mutt)
hope that helps atb

Marc 8)

ross stanford

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the problem described in this thread - engine stuttering between 2 and 2500 rpm, especially noticed on small inclines.  The revs climb normally, then drop off for a fraction of a second, then on and off again.  This almost prevents the Deli from gaining speed on small inclines - I imagine I would grind to a halt on a big hill.  Then we reach 2500 revs and we are okay again.

This change in revs has caused the gearbox to flick in and out of a gear once or twice.

I have only had this Delica for a few weeks, and am not familiar with car mechanics.  Shocked  I had better buy the manual quick.

In the meantime, can anyone offer advice on this problem.  I'm new on the forums...is DMW still around?  Anyone had something similar?

thanks

Ross
philmotman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say tps did same on mine checked tps adjusted and all is okay
peterclare1976

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPS ??????

pete  :?
peterclare1976

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine does this on long motorway run's feals like it's holding back every so often

I though it was pump seals but they where done 4 years ago and it always done this.

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterclare1976 wrote:

TPS ??????

Throttle Position Sensor.  Wink

See this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30693

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
bradburypizza
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed this problem occaisonally on mine since changing my filter,also I have a problem that when first starting if I rev to pull of straight away after starting it will cut out and to get it started I need to crack an injector to bleed it through to restart it.After that its fine.I'm thinking air is somehow getting into the system.I suspect also that the little flap on the filter housing is not sealing as I noticed it was bent and straightened it as best I could ,but can't bleed from the priming pump because of it.I was going to replace the lift pump but as its not a major prblem will soldier on until I have more time/money to do this.If I start the Deli and let it tickover for a couple of minutes it doesn't cut out. I remember reading on this site somewhere that there is also a small filter near the the fuel pump that can block that caused the problem discribed ,but I can't find the post so that might be worth investigating.
huwbertus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine used to do this but last week the battery went flat. (Door not shut properly for 2 weeks) and since removing, charging and replacing the battery it seems to have gone away. Unless I disturbed something? Re-set the gearbox? ET finger? :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: