Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Blown engine or EGR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FirstClassMaleUK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:15    Post subject: Blown engine or EGR Reply with quote

I have read through the EGR threads and remain slightly confused but slightly heartened.

Currently I'm looking to buy a Deli and there is one for sale very close to me but....

The seller is not a mechanic and is selling cheap because they think the turbo or engine is gone.

Quote:
This is only for sale for this low price because of suspected blown turbo or poss blown engine .

Apart from that this is in very good condition

I am sad to sell this but due to a recent illness i am unable to even pay for a diagnosis from a mechanic . Although describing symtoms to knoledgable mechanics the turbo is the main suspect ...

The motor still runs however it has lost some power ..

If it is an EGR fault, how will I be able to tell? Other threads speak of whooshing noises etc.

Alternatively maybe my excitement of finding something cheap this far North is getting the better of me.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

albideli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real way to find out is for someone to actually look and try it, It's very hard to diagnose using someone elses descriptions, The worst case scenario would be blown engine so if your happy to buy with this problem anything less would be a bonus. A whoosing noise under accelaration could be a sticking waste gate, a common problem, a blown turbo would mean lo power but the engine would still run, Does it smoke badly? overheat?. Can you ask more questions and post more info?
FirstClassMaleUK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered if it was something I could maybe view and video to get some feedback from you experts. They are only wanting 600 quid ono so I'm very tempted if it is something as relatively minor. I'm not mechanically minded and my mates who are say they are scared to work on my motor when I get one, being Landie nuts and happy with 40 year old technology.
albideli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can view it even better, run it,drive it, and video would be a great help, your 'landy' mates will be scared of working on a superior motor  :D , But really there's nothing really scary and most jobs can be done by any mechanic, if the rest of the vehicle is good it may be worth buying and repairing.
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rest of it is in good condition/high spec etc then if the engine is repairable not totallly lunched for a few hundred you will still be quids in .
Bazza :D

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
LITTLEKENGRIFF
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstClassMaleUK wrote:
They are only wanting 600 quid ono so I'm very tempted if it is something as relatively minor. .

if the bodys in good nick i would buy it any way
if it turns out that it is the engine and everything else is okay you will end up with a really cheap Deli, but even if you don't want the hassel of replacing motor you would more than make yopur money back selling bits  :D
lkg
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine starts and idles nicely it's a good sign, it may be  smokey if the turbo has failed, or if the egr is jammed, but the main thing you are looking for is that idles okay, if you pop the oil filler off and there is no smoke coming out, especially when revved, then the pistons aren't holed or overly worn, there will always be some blowby which comes out as. If it acclerates smoothly with no load, ie in neutral, its a good sign, a turbo doesn't do much without load, so if it revs to say 3000 okay and smoothly the engine is okay internally, which, long story short means whatever is wrong is bolted to the outside of it, so a fairly easy fix.  The egr is easy enough to blank off to test, and the turbo is straightforward enough to replace.
FirstClassMaleUK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again for all the input, it is all much appreciated.

An update. The guy called me back and hopefully I will get the chance to view it this weekend  :D

It does still drive but the problem started on a motorway trip, they kept going to the next services and the RAC were called. It is using oil and the oil is coming out the exhaust. He reckons it is producing between 1/4 and 1/2 power.

I will know better when I go to see it and I will video it if that helps diagnosis. I'm like a little kid now, I'm really quite excited that I might be getting my hands on a Deli  :D

EDIT: If it is a turbo issue, how much would I expect to pay for one?
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

£100 for an old one from a scrappy and up to £400 for better ones have a look on ebay to get an idea.

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
FirstClassMaleUK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebazwold wrote:
£100 for an old one from a scrappy and up to £400 for better ones have a look on e bay to get an idea.

Yup, I realised my edit was a bit of a silly question. I've had a quick look at "the bay" and what we do have in plenty numbers up here are scrappies full of 4x4s. (salt on roads kills bodywork long before engines) A pajero/shogun turbo fits but as I understand it, the engine is unique to the Delica.

If it is in as good nick as the guy says, it will be well worth a punt to do up or for spares.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: