Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Towing Stabiliser's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delica2800tdi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 0:45    Post subject: Towing Stabiliser's? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm going to be towing hefty loads a lot more now and was wandering if someone could advise me which towing stabiliser would be the best?

I have a 3.5 ton ball/pin hitch on an adjustable height coupling at the moment so It will need to be compatible with that.

The weight I'll be towing could go up to 2200kgs roughly, so it needs to be good!!

Thanks for your help in advance!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 0:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jennysteve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

give us a clue what you'll be towing. Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

MUSTAVIT ! AND JEN
Delica2800tdi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various trailers including :- box vans, Flatbed's, Car transporter trailer's,

Thanks
jennysteve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that's heavy stuff, don't know if caravan stabilizers would work, but have a look at the bulldog Q range, they have different weight stabilizers, don't know if they go up to the weight you want though but no harm in having a gander hth. Shocked

MUSTAVIT ! AND JEN
kasandrich

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have towed caravans for years, I have used most stabilisers, the old leaf spring Bulldog type, the Alko aks1300, the Winterhoff, and currently an Alko aks3004.

If I were in your shoes, this is the one I would want.

http://www.discount-towing.co.uk/product/1838-Winterhoff_Stabiliser_3000kg

IMHO its better than the ALKO variants, its rated to 3000kg and is comaptible with a std ball, the ALKO's need a special ball (which you do not have)
Delica2800tdi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay,

Thanks for the help guys!
jennysteve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a winterhoff on our caravan, but it's fixed, so to speak. if your towing different trailers, the bulldog will change over in a couple of minutes. hth. Wink

MUSTAVIT ! AND JEN
johnboy6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:31    Post subject: Re: Towing Stabiliser's? Reply with quote

Delica2800tdi wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to be towing hefty loads a lot more now and was wandering if someone could advise me which towing stabiliser would be the best?

I have a 3.5 ton ball/pin hitch on an adjustable height coupling at the moment so It will need to be compatible with that.

The weight I'll be towing could go up to 2200kgs roughly, so it needs to be good!!

Thanks for your help in advance!

To be absolutely blunt with you, stabilizers were originally brought onto the market to try and safeguard the "Occasional" driver, who had no towing experience with caravans, as a backup for inexperience.
The kind of driving you are telling us you are going to be doing is semi/professional, and by that very nature requires you to acheive a lot higher standard of driving.
A stabilizer is not a substitute for good driving, in fact, it gives a false sense of security.
If you are making the step up from say a caravanner to haulier, your insurance may be invalid. Check it out.
The other thing you mention is the type of hitch you have fitted. I assume it is the "Dixon Bate" type. I seem to remember when looking at hitches, that there is a cut off age now for vehicles of a certain age being able to fit and use them.

You may have a vehicle that is capable of towing, but check out all the technicalities first, as you can very easily invalidate any insurance on the vehicle.
rabb_uk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above post, you need to check this out a bit more, A 3.5 ton hitch doen't mean you can legallly tow that on the road, what actual towbar do you have fitted? if its a standard bar with that hitch on it it's beyond tolerances for a standard bar, you also need to keep below 100% kerbweight, and you need to check on gross train weight
bulldoggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

you also need to keep below 100% kerbweight, Not so sure about this one as it depends on the type of braking system on the trailer. You do need to keep below the maximum towing capacity of you vehicle though.

For example a freelander 2 weighs about 1.6 tonnes maximum towing = 2 tonnes. Government guideline =85% of Kerbweight (hse and nannying)

The most I've done is about 65tonnes of sugar beet on a four wheel trailer with about 7 tonnes of tractor at age 17. But couldn't pull a measly 32 tonnes with a lorry coz I needed to be 21? whats that about.
the kitten
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest with you mate I had a big twin axle caravan that I towed all over this country and southern Ireland and I did not use a stabiliser for the speed that you will be doing with that type of weight on will you really need it  8-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: