4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Intake manifold problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiuko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 19:58    Post subject: Intake manifold problem. Reply with quote

Well, I've decided to get rid of the whole EGR valve system, the problem is that the EGR was already blanked by capping the hose to it and fitting a paper thin gasket that was broken in the middle so not doing anything really and whoever that tried to blank it before (poorly), stripped the treads on the intake manifold. Now I can't fit the blanking plate tight enough and don't know if it'll cause any problems.
Mind you the truck goes faster and feels more powerful than it did before
Any help will be much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 19:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only a limited depth in which the bolt can fit so overtightening it can strip the thread from the intake quite easily, with it being aluminium.

Unfortunately you can't drill the hole any deeper, so you will need one of these kits to drill the hole bigger, tap it with a new thread and then fit a Heli-coil in so the original bolt will fit.

Each kit has the required drill bit, tap and coils for a specific bolt size. For the EGR/inlet fixing bolt you will require the Armstrong M8x1.25x1.5D Thread Repair Pack, like the one below. You can get them via a local Autofactors or better still look for a local nut and bolt wholesaler that sells direct to the customer.

For two bolts you are looking at a good hour or two's work and scraped knuckles.  Sad The kit contains full instructions on how to do the job, read it several times and go through the motions once or twice, before starting to do it!  Wink

NB: The kits arn't cheap, so have a word with a garage and see if they have the required sized kit and weigh up the cost of the kit against a couple of hours labour plus VAT!  :?  

HTH

NB: Just in case you are wondering, thats a photo of my repair kit and yes it was used to succesfully resolve the same problem you have.  Laughing

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Shiuko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it cause any problems leaving it as it is now? (it's on, but probably not tight enough)
Could it be easier to get a second hand intake manifold and swap then around?
Thanks for your help.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your happy the way it is then leave it alone, just don't be tempted to overtighten the bolts, or you will totally remove what thread is left. a thicker blanking plate than what is on, will help.

Removing the manifold is a pain in the proverbial and may lead to more problems than you have already!  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Shiuko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can you do those holes with the manifold still in place?
Isn't it to risky getting little pieces of the aluminium into the intake?
Thanks for the help.
Shiuko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh, wasn't thinking, must be because it's almost 2:00 A.M   Laughing    Rolling Eyes
I'll just stuff a sock inside before I do any drilling.     Idea

If you were any closer, I'd pay you to do it for me.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiuko wrote:
So can you do those holes with the manifold still in place?
Isn't it to risky getting little pieces of the aluminium into the intake?
Thanks for the help.

Shiuko wrote:
Duh, wasn't thinking, must be because it's almost 2:00 A.M   Laughing    Rolling Eyes
I'll just stuff a sock inside before I do any drilling.     Idea

If you were any closer, I'd pay you to do it for me.

Yes  it can be done in situ, I certainly wasn't about to start taking mine off.  Laughing

No need to use a sock, your feet will get cold, just cover the hole with some gaffa tape!  Wink

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:38    Post subject: Thread repair Reply with quote

Mr. Shiuko.

If your'e seriously in trouble come to see me, thread reclaim and repair is one of my specialities.
As long as there is space to get a portable (hand held) drill to the job.

Otherwise the component will have to removed from the car.

Provided you are prepared to get your hands dirty, I only require beer Irish Whiskey/tobacco tokens.

I have all the neccessary tools to do the work.

HTH

Deker.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:22    Post subject: Re: Thread repair Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
Mr. Shiuko.

If your'e seriously in trouble come to see me, thread reclaim and repair is one of my specialities.

Provided you are prepared to get your hands dirty, I only require beer Irish Whiskey/tobacco tokens.

HTH

Deker.

Now there's an offer!

NB: There's plenty of room to get an electric drill in there once the airfilter and air hoses have been lifted out;-

ルイス
Shiuko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 23:35    Post subject: Re: Thread repair Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
Mr. Shiuko.

HTH

Deker.

Thanks for the offer, I'll be contacting you soon to see when it's a good time for me to go there.
Mighty nice from you!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: