Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

EGR leaking "air" and Shushhhiiing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 15:03    Post subject: EGR leaking "air" and Shushhhiiing Reply with quote

Hi MDOCUK

My first posting here, although I do use your site for a lot of reference and interesting topics.

Anyway, this "shushing" sound appeared a couple of weeks ago and I have traced it to air/gases leaking from the egr valve when the Delica is accelerating hard and the turbo kicks in at about 2500 revs. Take you foot off the accelerator and the noise stops.

No running problems and not a hint of black smoke at anytime.

Been reading the pros and cons for blanking the ERG off, but I would suspect my problem would be worse if I do blank the valve and stop the gases being fed to the engine.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated - off away for a week at the weekend but will check back.

My Delica is a 1996, 2.8, L400.

Cheers, BigRed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 15:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

xandercraw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I baught an egr Removal kit  So you can compleatly remove it  ....... Worked a treat Smile
bigred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 17:32    Post subject: Did you have the sshhhiinng/hissing sound Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response xandercraw.

Did you have any sound associated with your egr valve problem?

Found a supplier for simple blanking plate, but suspect I will still get the sound as the air/gas is escaping from the valve. So your suggestion of completely removing the valve may be the best solution - i'll look on the internet now.

Just a little reluctant to change it because the Delica runs so well as it is.

Cheers, BigRed
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shusshing sounds can also be related to air leaking from the large bore hose from the intercooler. Tighten the clip on that up before anything else is thought about!  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
bigred

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis.

But nope, its not a leak from the pipes. The noise is air/gases leaking from the erg valve itself. Considering a complete removal of the valve, but still reluctant as not suffering from any black smoke or "under performance".

As a temporary measure I shut off the pipe from the erg, to prevent opening and closing, but the noise remains the same.
Maro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try replacing gasket between EGR and intake manifold. Very simple job.

bigred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that suggestion Maro, but the leak aint from there.

Think there's a diaphram in the foremost head of the egr valve, and suspect it may have a split.

Not attempted to take off as performance appears un-affected.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion of a diaphram in the head of the egr bit.

Cheers, BigRed
chiefie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a diaphram but it hasn't any pressure from the turbo side of things going to it, its a simple mechanical valve, all i can think is the seal on the shaft has blown, you can see the shaft between the diaphram housing and the valve body, if its blown the chances are there will be sooty deposits all over the place in that area.

hth

p.s. i know you have said a few times its deffo the egr, how are you so sure/ how did you test it? its just that a common problem is the waste gate on the turbo sticking causing overboost, then blowing off excess pressure through the 'blow off valve' on the back of the inlet manifold, sounds like a similar noise the way you describe. this generally does'nt affect performance much, if at all.
bigred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chiefie, that gives me someting to look into - i'll investgate further. This time i'll get someone else to rev up while I feel and look around. Not noticied any sooty deposits though.

Cheers, BigRed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: