Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Taking 2 wheels off at the same time - scratches head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 0:50    Post subject: Taking 2 wheels off at the same time - scratches head Reply with quote

okay.....here goes

I went to ATS yesterday and they told me my two front tyres and not wearing very evenly. It's starting to cause vibration thorugh the steering wheen and is quite noticeable when going at a snails pace.

He said my offroad tyres are becoming unevenly worn due to much motorway/road usage. They are Recip 4x4 trial tyres....

okay, had a cunning plan.....the sun was out, had me dinner, inlaws just turned up, thought what a great exvuse to do something rather than end up chatting and making tea.

I parked the Deli in a nice sun trap in the close ( neighbours shouting at me to move back ovber to my part of the street jokingly ). Got the wheel brace out, the 2.25 tonne trolley jack out and set to work.

Loosened the nuts on the drivers side, jacked up the Deli, jacked it up some more.......and tried to jack it up enough to get both whells off the floor ( back and front wheels on drivers side ).

The Deli wasn't playing ball......the front came up sweet - 3 inches off the floor but the back remained on the floor as if someone had welded it to the tarmac.

okay, brains steps up a gear, got a spare wheel from the side of the house and decided to take the front wheel off then lower then front of the Deli onto this wheel ( from a Hyundai car ).

I let the trolley jack down slowly after positioning the wheel underneath the front brake disc section.....okay slowly isn't the case really, one turn to the left and 'pssssssht clunk' the front of the Deli dive bombs into the Hyundai tyres practically flattening it !

It didn't look very professional I must say......

Anyway proceded with the ultimate plan..........left the front of the Deli leaning on the Hyundai tyre, dragged the trolley jack out and decided to take the rear wheel off......

My brain hit a problem.....If I took the rear wheel off, I wouldn't have any support under the back wheel-less area when switching tyres over.

Decided to knock that plan on the head, put the front wheel back on and went in and had a cup of tea.

How do i change the back wheels and swap them over from the front wheels ?

Would axle stands cope with the weight ? Haven't got any but any ideas anyone ?

As you can tell, I'm not a genius in this field.

Notty
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 0:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

notty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or...is there any place under the centre of the Deli that would take a trolley jack lifting both wheels ( front and rear ) off the ground......

Was going to position it under neath the gear box housing.....wasn't sure if any damage may occur

Notty
notty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay...perhaps under the centre of the Deli wouldn't be a gpod idea...don't think the jack would lift all 4 wheels off the ground
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see you were up most of the night thinking of this.. You will need at least a pair and preferably 2 pairs of stout axle stands and I mean at least 3 ton rated. Take care.... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not have a spare???

A bit of a pain, but just take the front off, fit the spare. Jack the back up, put the front wheel on it, jack the front up and take the spare off, putting the back wheel on.

Just a thought Smile

Yorks-Lincs 4x4 Response
tttonyyy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Rusty, get a pair of 3 tonne axle stands, like these ones:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cax-3tbc-3-ton-axle-stands/path/axle-stands-car-ramps-2
kev.h

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to swap my wheels around due to uneven tread ware and i managed okay with just cheapy axle stands from aldi on top of blocks of wood as there not high enough  Embarassed .
may not sound very safe but i lived to tell the tale. Wink
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigger jack ??

seriously...

raise the rear and sit it on axle stands...

then you can do the front one wheel at a time with the jack

(proper way is axle stands all round..)

You can put a jack under the jacking point on the gearbox cross member and if it has enough lift it will lift both wheels on one side...

but I wouldn't feel too safe under that set up !!
notty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thankyou for all your help. My neighbour turned up earlier because his mother said it seemed like I was struggling the other day.

He brough his 3 tonne trolley jack ( looked like a space age design - chrome and blue )

I managed to change the wheels in less than an hour, nipped them right up and went for a spin..hey presto no vibration or wheel humming/numbing. Just the good old fashioned sound of large tyres on tarmac ( aircraft taking off )

When these start to wear and give out the same noise I will be force to have the tyres turned around on the rims and hopefully get them to wear in the opposite direction.

By the way, I'm knackered. it took it out of me changing them all and doing them all up. these Recip 4x4's aren't light !!

Might take the 30mm spacers off soon as well, perhaps they aren't helping. look good though, don't fancy having the wheels tucked in nicely where they should be...want them to stand out and tell people business is meant !

Notty ( with a back problem )
notty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, with the neighbour turning up wqith his trolley jack that meant we had two trolley jacks to make the job easy.

Debated about using the spare, but that's an experience in itself just releasing it from underneath.

Because it a grandtrek AT2 tyre ( half infalted so as not to damage the tyre ) I had to trolley jack the cage up with the tyre in to get vthe hook on to do it up.

Why is life so awkward ? My Deli is like my missus, awkward and complicated and not efficient !!

Notty
meggie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

notty wrote:

Why is life so awkward ? My Deli is like my missus, awkward and complicated and not efficient !!

Notty

More like men really, fat, slow and Greedy!
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey i am knackered just reading your post Notty i have been there with two crappy jacks doing the front and it ain't easy.
Bazza

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notty - it would be worth getting a full four wheel laser alignment done, including the castor angles etc.
as EVERTHING is adjustable down at the front, it means it can all go out of adjustment!!

Couple of threads to look at.
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23322
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2790

Last time I got mine done was by these people and they only charged £25 (most charge £60+)
http://www.protyre.co.uk/

The Deli comes up as "MD Mitsubishi L300 4WD Van" on their alignment computers.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
notty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

since swapping the wheels over...all normal now and lovely ride again...for how long ...mmm

may get alignment done in near future

notty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: