4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Manual Transmission with 4WD - What does it look like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkhoodness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 22:03    Post subject: Manual Transmission with 4WD - What does it look like? Reply with quote

Sorry if this silly question seems a bit unclear and if it's been asked before. Smile Can't seem to find any info on this though.

As I said in a previous post, I'd like a Delica L400 to call my own someday soon, so out of curiousity (I don't have enough money just yet, but ONE day soon. . . ;) ) I've been looking around on various web pages.

I'd like one with Manual transmission that has selectable 4WD. I've found many Manual Delicas, but the transmission type (2WD/4WD) is never listed. Pictures of the interior are sometimes provided though. Most of the ones I've looked at appear to have high ground clearance and appear to be 4WD from the outside, but when looking at photos of thier interiors, they only have one single gearstick. (I haven't been on these forums long enough to post URLS yet so I can't show them)

I thought versions with selectable 4WD had 2 gear sticks? (At least that's what the L300 has, it seems) Or are the 4WD controls in the L400 different from the L300? Can anyone show me a picture or diagram of the controls from a manual 4WD version of a Delica so that I don't end up buying a 2WD Delica by accident? Or if not, discribe to me what I should look for?

(Of course I'd look at any car in person first before actually buying it, but none are sold locally to me so I'd have to travel a long way just to personally view anything. It'd be kinda bad to travel to a faraway dealer to look at a Deli that I'd be hoping to buy, only to find out that it wasn't what I wanted 'cause it didn't have selectable 4WD, if you know what I mean.)

Many thanks. Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 22:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

safetyman73
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they are 4WD and manual they will have two sticks at floor level.

Hth
    Eddie
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual's don't have a column shift gear lever!  Wink

However you don't even need to look inside to see if its a 2 or 4 wheel drive.

2WD Delica's have 5 stud wheels, 4WD's have 6 stud wheels.

2WD:-  

4WD:-

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Darkhoodness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so it's always like that? Even if they have only one gearstick?

For example there's one I've looked at that appears to have 6 wheel studs on its wheels, yet only has one gear stick and is listed as having manual transmission.

How do you control 4WD in a manual Delica then? Is there a switch or lever on the dashboard or something instead?
jemthetaxi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a manual L400,and owned a manual pajero before, and there are indeed two "sticks" on the floor.One is normal gearbox, and one controls 4WD.The hardest part about owning a manual L400 is finding one! They seem to be very rare, but well worth the wait IMHO.Sometimes they are listed on sites like autotrader as "manual" but when you check the photos they are indeed autos The 4WD "stick" is lower than the gear "stick", so could be missed if photo'ed from the wrong angle.
jemthetaxi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a classic example of an automatic listed as a manual. Look at the photos and you will notice only one floor stick (for 4WD) and column stick for auto box.HTH.
                                                                       Not a manual Delica
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkhoodness wrote:
Hmm, so it's always like that? Even if they have only one gearstick?

For example there's one I've looked at that appears to have 6 wheel studs on its wheels, yet only has one gear stick and is listed as having manual transmission.

How do you control 4WD in a manual Delica then? Is there a switch or lever on the dashboard or something instead?

As per what Eddie said above:-

safetyman73 wrote:
if they are 4WD and manual they will have two sticks at floor level.

Hth
    Eddie

Lets make this Simple:-

1. A column gear shift, but no floor shift lever = Automatic transmission with 2WD

2. A column gear shift + a short floor shift lever = Automatic transmission with 4WD

3. A long floor shift lever and no column shift lever = Manual Transmission with 2WD

4. A long floor shift lever + a short floor shift lever and no column shift lever = Manual Transmission with 4WD

There is no other configuration.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Darkhoodness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay, now I think I know what a column gearshift looks like. That large lever sticking out of the steering column (Hence why it's "Column mounted" - Gah, I hate being stupid) behind the wheel, right? I'm not familiar with automatics and don't yet have too much driving experiance anyway, so sorry for being confused. Smile

Still, what everyone has said here really has clarified things for me a lot, so thanks a ton. Smile But what I've noticed is that, while comparing pictures of Delicas listed as Automatic and some listed as Manual, it looks like some car dealers get confused by the floor-mounted lever used to change between 4WD and 2WD which is maybe why they list the transmission incorrectly.

It seems what I'm looking for is going to take quite some doing to find - And it looks like I'll have to be very careful, but at least I now know what to ask the dealer if I find what I think I'm looking for (6 wheel studs, two floor-mounted shift levers, no column lever). This topic has helped me a lot and has cleared up some confusion. Thanks loads. Smile
Nasher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first Delica which I test drove (purely by accident as I was looking for a toyota hiace bus) was a LWB manual with captains seats and a non aereo roof.

THe dealer wanted 6.5k for it and we offered 6, but it still needed plates etc.. so it would have taken another 2 weeks before we could take it.

anyway we looked in the web and saw loads , 8 seaters too, for 4k and under!!! and this dealer advertised the same bus for 6K!!!! no wonder he accepted it straight away.

anyway could we find a manual? no!! every delicva we saw or was advertised was an auto...
Mini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Manual Exceed (looks like it's LWB too) advertised in the autotrader at the moment from a company called Phoenix Motors. it's somewhere in the southwest (did a search and it's about 170 miles from truro, so it's probably around Bristol-Poole area) they don't have a website and it's only a mobile number. Asking price is £1700.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: