Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

EGR completely removed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howardian
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 16:19    Post subject: EGR completely removed Reply with quote

hi all:)

Just got my L400 LWB and I noticed amongst its many 'issues' it has an EGR dripping oil everywhere, which compliments the rocker cover gasket leak nicely.

Bought a kit that provides 2x very thick blanking plates, nuts, bolts etc so the EGR can be completely removed.

I have read various posts, on various opinions on the EGR valve. My opinion is very straightforward (and i appreciate others may have completely different opinions based on their personal experiences, as warned by Lewis, fiddle with your EGR at your own risk! though before doing anything best to ensure injectors, injector pump, worn rings, worn turbo mainshaft seals etc etc aren't the issue) is it is a completely superfluous piece of kit that can cause nothing but upset to the engine (ie. every time it opens, it heats and contaminates pre-cooled intake air with exhaust gases whilst bleeding pressure from the power turbine side of the turbocharger) so even if mine hadn't been leaking oil it was destined to be history ASAP! Am not a big believer in having anything on an TD engine that contaminates or heats intake air, can't think of a better way to 'cake-up' an intercooler, inlet plenum etc. thus reducing overall MPG.

Fitting the 2x blanking plates was a 5 minutes job, the EGR was in a right state, full of solid carbon deposits with oil residue everywhere.

Did a test drive today with the tank brimmed, it involved a 100 kilometres run out over A & B roads with frequent deceleration and subsequent acceleration (mainly between 40-90kph) followed by another tank brimming trip to the fuel station, this yielded an overall MPG of 31.7 (done with my trusty calculator and double checked on the Club MPG calculation tool).

My only other measured run to compare this against was my original drive home after purchasing which managed 28.5 MPG at a steady 80-90kph over 200+ miles. Since then the oil has been changed, engine Molyslip added (I am a total believer in this technology but not connected with the company in any way:), the rocker cover breather redirected away from the air inlet and the EGR completely removed.

Cheers:)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 16:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Howardian
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS....just to make it 100% clear. I am not advocating anyone remove, fiddle with or tinker with their EGR in any way, shape or form, or conduct any other mechanical modification to their vehicle. The above is purely my own point of view on EGR's, my subsequent actions and my feedback on the outcome of those actions:)

Cheers and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!Smile
john cook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree totally with you when it comes to egr valves.

mine has been completely removed(and thrown in the bin)

i have also blanked the one on my tdci mondeo for exactly the same reason.

no more black smoke on hard exceleration from either vehichle now.

as far as the molyslip goes i prefer to use extralube zx1.

john
Howardian
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the input John! Much appreciated:) Had lots of bother with an EGR on a German 2 litre 16v TD. Build up of solid carbon had practically reduced airflow to the plenum by 50% (cleaned and disconnected EGR and hey presto 47MPG on that one!). Now i just remove EGR if possible a matter of course. And the Delica drove absolutely lovely today, no smoke, lots of get up and go, really smooth and a pleasure to drive and nearly 32MPG cross country.

There are no doubt a number of additives that do a great job:) All i know is clatters like 'ell, add the additive and hey presto, super quiet diesel:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: