4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 - Pop Roof?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:27    Post subject: L300 - Pop Roof? Reply with quote

Hi all, really like the L300's and am considering importing a P25 or P35 with as many extras as i can get. I'm getting into Kitesurfing and love the idea of a 4WD van that i can possibly convert / add on some home luxurys!!

Did the L300 ever come with a pop top style roof or is it an aftermarket jobby?

Has anyone ever coverted their L300 to a camper style van?

Cheers

Mike

ps; anyone going to JAE in Mersea that will let me have a looksie over their L300?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

motorang

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:32    Post subject: Re: L300 - Pop Roof? Reply with quote

Hi there,

many L300 were converted to campers, 2WD and 4WD.

There is an aftermarket roof kit from REIMO, but it is expensive ...
http://www.reimo.com/de/startseite/startseite.html

For pictures on camper conversion, have a look here:
http://www.4x4travel.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=35 (its generally about Mitsu camper conversion, so also for other models)

Andy
miller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy, have spent all morning looking at options and surfing the net for different views. Moneywise I'm starting to think it may be a non starter and questioning my desire to have a stand up functioning camper. The Awd / diesel / is far more important. Plus the looks of the L300 kitted out looks brilliant.
Being a serial Mitsubishi owner I'm somewhat biased. Maybe a trailer style camper with pull out cooking/shower untis may be another avenue. Loads of options in Oz just not here in UK Sad

I'm looking at Bonsaicars to import as i seem to get a greater choice than the UK market, especially as i want one with all the extras and maybe, just maybe slightly raised!  Laughing  Am i asking too much???

Mike
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at Bongo's from mazda ?

they have pop roof, and are AWD but not off road vehicles, more 4x4 for a bit of slippy grass mud...

or... look at one and you'll realise that the Delica is a better option  Wink
miller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D  i looked and looked and looked again at Bongos but no matter how much i kept looking at those things i just couldn't get in and test drive it. What if someone saw me Question   Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad
tomkranz
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is just something indefinably 'wrong' with the Bongo. I looked at one along with the Delica - pop top, permanent 4WD like the Estima, lots of room for windsurfing gear - but ..... no. Just no.

Cheers,
TOM
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaf1968
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are spot on with the Bongo - it just looks - wrong!

Parked up alongside one a while back and it's just - wrong Rolling Eyes

Can't think of another word to describe it.

J
BaruchLaskin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 0:31    Post subject: Poptop conversion Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but does anyone have any more info on an L300 poptop conversion?
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own - check the links in my signature :-)

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
profpriv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be looking for the hightop conversion myself, but looks like Reimo have stopped making them...
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on whether you want a full upper sleeping deck, or just standing-up height in the middle, I've often wondered whether the shell of a suitable size roof box would make a good starting point. A simple plywood and softwood mould, carefully shaped to suit the roof profile, would enable a custom fibre-glass pop-top to be made, but then the hard part, I guess, is the hingeing/raising/propping system, although Pink Pig has been through all that, as well as the fabric bellows part, cutting out and stiffening the roof cut-out and ensuring a waterproof seal. Probably simpler on a low roof than a high roof with Crystallites.
profpriv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

I really like the look of the permanent high roof version. Not only would this give standing height when I convert to a day van/camper later,but would also give me some
extra room whilst still being used as a commercial vehicle. I can only imagine what that would do to the fuel consumption being 2.0L petrol.....

I often wonder how difficult it might be to fabricate one from thin ply to create a smooth curve at the front.....

Shaun
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Shaun, depending on the curve, you might do better to use aeroply, which has fewer laminations in one direction than the other, so is designed to bend easily in one direction, and is stiffer in the other. You might overlay it with fibreglass ,resin, and filler, so you can get a strong, waterproof finish. My experience of painting plywood to be left outdoors, is that most paint finishes will peel, and the joints open up and let in the moisture and rot. I would take advice from a boatbuilder or coachbuilder on suitable ply and paint for a durable job. I have seen 2002 + Toyota Hiace campers with a fixed high roof which look like they could be fitted on a L300, as they are narrow enough. You just need to find a scrap one!
profpriv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 15:23    Post subject: L300 fixed high roof Reply with quote

Interesting information there, Andy. Thanks

I Haven't heard of aeroply, I'll take a look. And I forgot to mention that I would be overlaying the ply with fibreglass to get that sleek smooth look that a camper would deserve. I'll also look into the Toyota Hiace for guidance as well as speaking to experts in the field.
profpriv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively I might pursue the camper on ebay with the Reimo pop top which is being broken....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: