4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 Royal Exceed wiring headache!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:34    Post subject: L400 Royal Exceed wiring headache!! Reply with quote

Hillbilly popped up to my place yesterday for me to install a new double DIN headunit.

No probs I thought - only a few wires to cut, swap & connect. I reckoned on about 1hr from start to finish.

It was wet (very wet) so this has already put a downer on the job when Bill arrived. 5mins and a cup of tea later and the dash pod, centre console and old head unit were out and this is when the 'fun' started!

None of the wires had any relation to the L400 wiring details posted on this site....and there were a LOT more of them!!

Not only was there a plug for the CD changer and one for the rear 'slave unit'....there was also a separate one for the power (nice & easy) and then one with 16wires on it which didn't seem to make sense?

I then found that this particular set of wires fed an amplifier under the drivers seat with ANOTHER load of wires going off to all the speakers! (all 10 of them.... Rolling Eyes )

What made things even harder was the colour coding used on the various looms.....head unit to amp = 1 set of colours.....then a completely different set of colours went off to the speakers, yet these changes somewhere in the car to a different set of colours again when they got to the speakers, so tracking the wires was a nightmare!!  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

Here is the 30+ wires I had to identify at the amplifier end:

....and here they are after approx 2hrs of tracing what each wire did (my stunning pairing/labelling technique!  Laughing ):

After a lot of careful checking and double checking, I cut the loom right back and started joining the output wires from the dash to the correct speaker wires.....basically by-passing the amp. No scotch-locks here....not even a crimp connector....just good old soldered joints and heat shrunk sleeves to make a decent job of it:

This now left me free to do the 'easy' bit of soldering the other end of the wires (dashboard end) to the head unit wires. (no euro connector to make things a little easier!)

All in all - about 6hrs of work....most of which was head scratching, tracing and working things out. About 2hrs for all the cutting, soldering and refitting everything back in place.

Bill seemed pleased and I was over the moon that I hadn't been beaten by this wiring loom!

A big thanks to Graham Penhorwood for listing some of the details about the wiring, this saved me taking even longer!  Laughing

Nice to see you again Bill and have fun programming all those stations.... Wink

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ Bruce you are a star, and its so nice to see a professional job with PROPER connections and not those crimps/scotch locks to cause issues later on.

I was planning to fit a carpc into our but moneys getting tight and I am not electrical at all so that had fallen by the wayside.

My Delica Album
jaf1968
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch :?

I was hopeing to take the original out of ours and install my Sony MP3 and the CB in the dash...

It just moved down the list quite a long way Laughing

Think it's a job for another day when I have a week off work and have got shot of the kids and
Mrs for a week...

James
saint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 18:52    Post subject: wiring Reply with quote

Hi MM, IN MY ROYAL (which I put a sony double din in ) instead of the single cd that was in it
when I bought her, ( would have been happy with original set up, cd/amp) but there is another set of wires
switched live/per live earth/ we simply used those, and ran new cales to the four main speakers, piggy backed
the tweeters, works fine, hth, jb.
jaf1968
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce

I don't suppose you took any notes did you???

It is a job I want to tackle at some point and a list of which wire goes where and what
colour it is would be kind of useful :D -- (Understatement detected!!)

Saint's option is a possibility, but I'd rather use the original wiring.

James
Vandré3000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to revive an old thread...

Where is the amplifier located? I'm interested to do the same bypass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: