4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Laptop for DVDs, MP3s, CDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petemillis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 20:49    Post subject: Laptop for DVDs, MP3s, CDs Reply with quote

Just got my Toughbook all sorted for playing audio out through my Kenwood CD/tuner. Needed a Kenwood converter leade that plugs into the CD changer socket on the rear of the CD/tuner. This means I can't use a CD changer (don't have one anyway) but I can play audio from the laptop through the system. by selecting AUX.

Problem encountered - really low volume on DVD playback meant having to crank up the volume on the Kenwood and hence amplifying any interference. Still not loud enough.

Solution - ditched Windows Media Player 9 and have installed PowerDVD 5. Vast improvement and audio level of DVDs is now comparable to CDs. Also lots of user settings on this software. Sound quality and interface rocks! Bought the download in dollars as the exchange rate is so favourable at the moment.

Laptop (Panasonc Toughbook CF28) secures to dash on passenger side. Velcro foam pads underneat and use velce straps to secure it in place using the grab handle. Power - tried using a car charger adaptor but too noisy. Now using a Nikkai power inverter (300 watts) bought from Maplins today for £19.99.

Just need to source a sensibly priced 15 inch TFT screen for the rear. Looks like I'll be checking out the computer fairs and ebay!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 20:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

numptys numnuts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you use a Tape with 3.5mm Phono jack that way you can then have a CD changer at a later date but then again if you got MP3 why bother. 10 CD's of music half a normal CD with MP£ and only an eight if its on a DVD.

We are opting for the PS2 route when I get my new batteries fitted. Plays DVD, Games, CD's and MP3's with nice bouncy graphics plus it sits nicely underneath the drivers seat which means its not on display so no tempting people. Would like Beat's setup but the wife will not justify spending a few £100's on that sort of gear espeically as we have most of the stuff anyway.

Sound is going to be a set of Mission Media speakers mounted behind the 2nd row and screen well thats would be a 14in telly at the moment. Wireless headphones and controllers and the kid enjoys the ride.

Only problem with all this is the Dad how do you do this bit when driving along. Rolling Eyes

KD-PE8W-HSEXF 2 H81E
(It's a Beast from the East)
Rolled off Production 03/02/95
petemillis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what? I ain't got a tape player - I left them behind in the 80s Laughing
The laptop route suits me as I've got loads of PC games (XBox indoors but PC games always like £20 less), I've got my whole CD collection on it as MP3s, I've got a TV tuner PCMIA card on the way, I've got a wireless lan PCMIA card so I can use free WIFI sites for internerd, and the toughbook is in its own protective case so I unplug it and walk away with it leaving nothing of value in the motor.
The reason I initially went the laptop route is that I bought it for mapping the ECU in another motor - just haven't got around to finishing that project yet...
Thought about bunging the XBox in but decided I could hack Rayman, SSX tricky and all that when i'm driving. Music and DVDs yep, but I'm doing all I can to discourage the kids from doing their games.....
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya Pete,
Have you got a phono output on the laptop, if not could one be fitted Question Just a thought although I'm sure you've already thought of this route, I'm just curious Laughing

As for using up the changer socket, Kenwood do a splitter so you can run 2 multichangers if required with a changeover switch 8) although it sounds like mp3's will be getting plenty of use Wink
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
petemillis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Beat.

The only audio out on the laptop is the 3.5mm stereo jack. I got a lead from Malins to convert this to 2 RCA plugs, and the Kenwood lead that converts 2 RCA sockets to the CD changer plug. I thought about the CD changer splitter you mentioned but it was too expensive and I'll never use a changer anyway. The Kenwood lead was only £18.

The problem I'm having at the moment is humming when using the mains inverter to power the laptop charger. This is despite grounding it to the vehicle. It's all to do with that modified square wave output from the inverter, and I can't afford a decent sine wave one. I may end up getting a DC-DC laptop power supply and powering the laptop directly off that to overcome the hum. Or can you think of a way of cleaning up the output from the inverter? 240 VAC is handy as I can use it to directly power the TFT monitor I plan to put in the back.

Watched Teminator 3 in the drive last night - good and loud and the laptop battery holds enough charge for 3 hours so no worries with it failing! The audio through my Kenwood set up is superb, and the PowerDVD 5 software is brilliant for that proper cinematic audio experience. It totally thrashed Windows Media Player in my scientifically controlled test here!

Any thoughts on my hum would be much appreciated. As said, when inverter off there is no hum at all so it's definitely the output on it. Just need to clean it up somehow.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever happened to the days of "how many red cars can you count" and travel scrabble....

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigpantsblue wrote:
What ever happened to the days of "how many red cars can you count" and travel scrabble....

Travel scrabble......now thats not a problem in the Deli Wink Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
petemillis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I've just run the laptop off the inverter indoors and all seems fine. I think the noise must be getting to the headunit vis the shielding on the RCA cable cos the inverter earth goes to the same earth (ie the vehicle body) as the head unit.....Any ideas?
Travel scrabble - mmm great fun. But with the laptop they can do some homework as well.....
0sb0rne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried either of the following...

1) Swapping the stereo leads for other ones... it could just be the cables aren't shielded enough
2) A pre amp noise filter/ground loop isolator

Andrew
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

petemillis wrote:
The problem I'm having at the moment is humming when using the mains inverter to power the laptop charger.

Have you tried an in-line audio lead filter?
I had a system once that keep getting hiss and tried one of these and worked realy well, the hiss was not caused by an inverter thou but may well work and only cheep.

Edit: Embarassed Just noticed 0sb0rne has already suggested this Rolling Eyes
Just trying to help
;)
petemillis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked out what it is, and it only hums when the inverter is plugged into the ciggie lighter, not when I plug it into my portable power pack. Is earthing init! If I connect the outer shield of the phono leads to the vehicle the noise goes completely. So now I'm happy and just about to go outside with my soldering iron, crimpers and wire!
Stigy50

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you lot have just about answered all my questions on this suject before I have purchased a thing. Top tip chaps, thanks. :D :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: