4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Wheel Offset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:57    Post subject: Wheel Offset Reply with quote

I've been watching the threads to do with wheels and am now somewhat confused :? :?

I saw someone selling a set of alloys off their L400 that had an offset of 27mm.

Someone else reckon their offset was 31mm, whilst I measured mine, (bog standard steel), at about 35mm.

Looking at the spare, yesterday, the markings were something like J15X6JJ TOPY(I think) 7/12/96 SQ3.8.

Not sure what the "j"s denote and am very curious about the "SQ3.8". Looks suspiciously like a 38mm offset.

Can anyone shed some light on what wheels I've got and, more especially, what the offset ought to be?

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link might explain some of what you want to know..

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0205scc_wheelguide/

You can use this to see what offset you have at the moment...

macca

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alloys on mine say 33mm offset, I don't know if they're factory fit but I have seen quite a few L400 with the same wheels on.
Col
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The formula in the diagram above is wrong and the author on the site does note this.

The correct formula is: Offset = Backspace - (width/2)

Now I can't believe it but I've checked, double checked, and triple checked, and the offset on my wheels comes out at a whopping 42.5mm Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

This doesn't look unrealistic because I measured the depth of the (rear) hub from the wheel mounting face to the inner face of the disc.
This comes out at 85mm so an offset of 42.5 would put the centreline of the wheel square in the centre of the hub where you'd expect the bearings to be.

Am I missing something :? :?

Cheers
rays

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just bought a set of OZ wheels from Japan, they are 7x16 +30mm, and they are recommented to fit Delica.

Rays

Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rays,

a manufacturer will always recommend the nearest thing they've got to what's really needed.

I've been searching for ages for wider wheels with a positive offset of 35mm, (what I thought was needed), and have come up with zero affordable.

The Delica L400 appears to be unique in having such a large positive offset.

I think it's because it has it has it's roots in the commercial market.
There appears to be quite a few light vans with such a positive offset as standard but no after-market, wider wheels.

regards
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice wheels there rays.

Can you tell me the model name please ?
I've looked on UK and Japanese Oz websites and can't find 'em :?

Cheers :D
petemillis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother killing yourself in the search for +35mm offset. To be honest, it'll make very little difference if you go for + 30, +28, +25 or whatever so long as you are within a sensible amount. The loading on the bearings isn't going to differ much by altering the offet by 15 mm. What you don't want to do is go for so little offset on a standard width wheel such that the whell sticks out the side and the hub is far to close to the inner flange. This wheel cause excessive loading on the bearings - just same as when kids would give the appearance of wide wheels on their Minis by fitting really fat spacers and keeping the same narrow wheel.
A big change in offset on a really narrow wheel/tyre combo is going to have a far bigger effect than the same change in offset on a wide wheel/tyre combo.

Those OZ wheels are nice by the way Rays. Similar to what I've got on a Skyline. Don't get them muddy though - they don't half stain easily!
rays

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for these wheel for almost one year, it was made by OZ racing from Japan. The link are as follow.

http://www.oz-japan.com/products/monobloc_wheel/crono_4X4/index.html

But they have stopped making them in 2004, so i was able to find the last sets from a dealer in japan.

Rays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: