4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

My alloys need shining...where do i start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24    Post subject: My alloys need shining...where do i start? Reply with quote

I have a nice set of highly studded alloys.......

Where do i start ? I want to get them gleaming for the Summer .... and advice grateful thanks.

Is this something I could do at home on a weekend?

Notty
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

stryder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any of my chrome parts i use AUTOSOL. But that would be one hell of a time consuming job i think on wheels, mine need doing to.

I think there are places around the country that can refurbish them to a high standard(like new) look.

I think if you do a full refurb yourself you need an angle grinder with grinding disk and wire brush attachment, emery cloth, polishing buffer and polishing paste, and laquer for final coats as protection.

I'm sure others here will give a better example of how to:-

HTH
stryder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this m8:-

http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-automotive-cars-bikes/100853-how-diy-alloy-wheel-repair-refurbishment-pics.html
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same wheels and they are pitted and filthy with lacquer coming off in places.

I was going to try some Mr Muscle oven cleaner as it is acidic and should cut through the cr@p, but not sure if it would be strong enough to take off the lacquer.
As stryder said any major refurb would require relacquering - you can buy the stuff in spray cans. If your lacquer is in good condition then some alloy wheel cleaner and a long weekend with a toothbrush is probably the way to go. I'd take one wheel off at a time and sit indoors with a cuppa and a radio!!

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
kenr1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8,
Personaly I would get them powder coated, if you try to polish them up you will have a life long commitment unless you get them laquered after but this then dulls them. Paints okay but if you never want to worry about them again go for the powder. The problem you will have is the studs, most are plastic so you will need to think how to replace them, blue alloy socket cap bolts would look good.
I would stay away from polishing if you don't know what you are doing please don't go near them with a angle grinder  Shocked start with paint stripper to get rid of the old paint/laquer, If there are no bad pitting or dents go for P600 and work your way down the grades of wet and dry but its going to take hours  Shocked  Shocked

My Warrior wheels have been powdered for about 3 years now and still look as good as new, brake dust can not stick to them so its just a wipe with a sponge and they are spotless.

kenr1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Sorry forgot to say, I bought the Warrior wheels for £50 off fleabay, they looked like they were fit for the bin they were very very bad, powder coating will cover up all pitting and curbing
HTH
Ken
IanFJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

How much did the powder coating cost? Thinking of having mine done in black.

Cheers

IanJ
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

+

+

=

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
kenr1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanFJ wrote:
Hi

How much did the powder coating cost? Thinking of having mine done in black.

Cheers

IanJ

Hi M8,
I think it was about £30 or £35 a wheel but remember that was to shot blast,  powder prime, colour powder then lacquer powder. Plain black may be a little cheaper but they also charge on size of wheel, again that my not be the same for every powder coater.
Going to get some more bits done soon like the ladder, bash plates fuel tank guard may be all the arms when I put new bushes in.
Hth
Ken
IanFJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that........ another job on the to do list!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: